Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downgrade from fiber enabled line to DSL ?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭

I have a fiber enabled line from Eir.
    It's 1.8km from the cabinet so it's not really fiber and I'm getting top sppeds of about 11mb down from it.

Every so often during the day it just starts to crawl, 2000ms+ ping times to google.ie for example.
    I'm the only user on it so congestion at home is not an issue, nor is the wifi interface.

I rang Eir about it and the only solution he could offer me that might work was to downgrade it from a fiber enabled line back to a DSL one.
    He recoked it might be more consistent as a DSL line,candy the speed loss would be minimal since I'm only getting 11mb as it is.

Was he spoofing or is it a valid idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ignoring the cabinet, how far are you from the exchange? That's the length of copper you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ignoring the cabinet, how far are you from the exchange? That's the length of copper you need to know.

As it's FTTC the copper could be starting at a standalone cabinet or a cabinet at the exchange, 1.8km distant as posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There is no cabinet between myself and the exchange, the distance to the exchange is 1.8km

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There is no cabinet between myself and the exchange, the distance to the exchange is 1.8km

To clarify, is 1.8km from you or the eir rep?

Do you know what exchange you're fed from. If your VDSL services are being exchange launched and ADSL2+ is available from the same source you should probably downgrade.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail
    What does this say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ED E wrote: »
    To clarify, is 1.8km from you or the eir rep?

Do you know what exchange you're fed from. If your VDSL services are being exchange launched and ADSL2+ is available from the same source you should probably downgrade.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail
    What does this say.

1.8Km is based on the Downstream attenuation from the routers stats and using this tool
    https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

The airwire link tells me that VDSL is available at 15M/3m
    Which is what Eir have also told me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The dAtten doesnt help us when we dont know if the VDSL DSLAM and the ADSL DSLAM are colocated or not.

Advertisement