Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on buying a Saorview box (PVR) in Dublin today...

• 05-11-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I have finally given up on the Triax TR112 and it's inability to record anything set more than 24 hours in advance as documented here.

So today, I'm off to buy a replacement box. I've heard good things about the Walker WP12DTB-R. It's €79.95 in Power City (all the way out in Tallaght though). I'm nearly sure this same box was only around €60 in Power City last week though.

Anyone know a city centre seller that does a good Saorview PVR box that is not the Triax? I got that box in DID Electrical on O'Connell Street but unfortunately it's the only one they stock. I'll be using a 500GB external hard drive for my recordings by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I have finally given up on the Triax TR112 and it's inability to record anything set more than 24 hours in advance as documented here.

So today, I'm off to buy a replacement box. I've heard good things about the Walker WP12DTB-R. It's €79.95 in Power City (all the way out in Tallaght though). I'm nearly sure this same box was only around €60 in Power City last week though.

Anyone know a city centre seller that does a good Saorview PVR box that is not the Triax? I got that box in DID Electrical on O'Connell Street but unfortunately it's the only one they stock. I'll be using a 500GB external hard drive for my recordings by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    sony svr-freeview plus hd peats

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Cheers for the advice but at €299 I'm going to have to rule it out. Having the ability to record one channel and watch another is not a concern, as my TV has an in built MPEG-4 tuner. Also, I should mention a RF loop through feature is a must as I need to feed my aerial signal through the box and then into my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An RF splitter is under €5.

There are NO "real" Saorview PVRs yet. Only the dual tuner boxes are proper PVRs, the others are cheap fudges. The closest you can get (not 100% compatible but close) is a UK Freeview+ HD PVR. There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).

No proper PVR uses external drives. Any box using purely an external drive is a "budget" compromise, as such a PC or laptop with DVB viewer and MHEG5 plug in option and a Dual tuner USB stick may be a better option if you want to use your own drive so as to have recordings PC accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lgs 4 wrote: »
    sony svr-freeview plus hd peats

See my summary of this box for both Freeview and Saorview (posts 8 and 9) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056437493

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

watty wrote: »
    There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).

Any more info on this Watty? Who is likely to be the manufacturer, what specs and cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

watty wrote: »
    An RF splitter is under €5.

There are NO "real" Saorview PVRs yet. Only the dual tuner boxes are proper PVRs, the others are cheap fudges. The closest you can get (not 100% compatible but close) is a UK Freeview+ HD PVR. There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).

No proper PVR uses external drives. Any box using purely an external drive is a "budget" compromise, as such a PC or laptop with DVB viewer and MHEG5 plug in option and a Dual tuner USB stick may be a better option if you want to use your own drive so as to have recordings PC accessible.
    In fairness watty, the poster said they've mpeg4 tele, in which case a saorview receiver that allows recording will do the job, even if it isn't a true pvr.

Holidaysong - there's the digihome in powercity for €60. I don't know whether there's a software difference between that and the walker, but I think it's the same receiver rebadged.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Many of the single tuner boxes with a USB port for an external HDD are not really proper single tuner pvrs. Some can't use a FS that allows single files of long SD or film length HD. They are often not reliable for recording.

A "real" single tuner PVR is of course fine with a proper Saorview compatible TV. But a cheap box that can record on external HDD isn't always a real PVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gsmith-

I have the BUSH Saorview set to box, I've found it very picky about external USB devices. I suspect there may be a flaw in mine as I've seen others using non-Flash memory based USB devices without trouble on here. Although maybe they're mains powered rather than the two USB powered models I've tried (A Western Digital Passport and a Seagate one too) which just sent the Bush set top box into constant reboots. It works fine with a 16GB flash memory stick but that's rather small (not to mention the shortened lifespan of using flash memory for this sort of thing)

So i'd prefer a model with a built in traditional HDD drive as well. Plus being internal would mean it won't be as likely to be tampered with by the kids.

Advertisement