Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

171 Mokka timing belt/chain

Options
  • 20-02-2019 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 171 mokka, was brought in for its second yearly dealer (money racket) service.

The guy in charge of the service department said they noticed a bit of a 'knock' in the engine while the engine is ticking over.
    He said they would bring her back in and change the timing belt (chain??) while "she was under warranty".
    I noticed that sometimes while driving the revs would spike a bit (like an automatic car would when changing gears).

Is this strange for a 2 year old car ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

2 years old and already stretched, I do not believe. It is possible only if it was driven within 2 years 300k or you never ever changed the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sounds like that "money racket" saved you a nice few quid in the long run if they've spotted that. They'd probably have been better off ignoring it, letting it run out of warranty and then you'd have to pay for it, but that'd be a money racket too, or "planned obsolescence", just to make it outside the warranty.

Definitely a plausible story anyway. Chains are intended for life but very often don't make it, generally down to either poor design or poor servicing. Some manufacturers are very good at making timing chains that actually work but Opel would have a really bad track record with timing chain failures historically so it's not unthinkable that yours is having a premature failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Only 40,000kms on her.

Ok , maybe I was a bit harsh... but near €300 for a yearly service to change oil and filters and put in washer fluid is steep !?
    That and their attitude to the warning light repeatedly coming on for front nearside tyre being underinflated as "ahh shur that's happening a lot of them, in cold or in heat " …….

:)

greenspurs wrote: »
    Only 40,000kms on her.

Ok , maybe I was a bit harsh... but near €300 for a yearly service to change oil and filters and put in washer fluid is steep !?
    That and their attitude to the warning light repeatedly coming on for front nearside tyre being underinflated as "ahh shur that's happening a lot of them, in cold or in heat " …….

DIY and save a load of money. If you have a trouble on first time, we can help or DIT (Do It Together)

w211 wrote: »
    DIY and save a load of money. If you have a trouble on first time, we can help or DIT (Do It Together)

He'd save a fortune alright when he's no service history on his 2017 car and has to pay for a chain replacement himself.

If you looked up penny wise, pound foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have a 171 mokka, was brought in for its second yearly dealer (money racket) service

Your money racket of a dealer service just saved you almost 2.5k
    The timing chain (Im assuming its a 1.6diesel) on these is actually bang in the middle of the engine not on the side like a normal diesel.
    Last warranty one I did was 1800 euros and that was a warranty payment so was substantially cheaper than a retail job.
    The engine has to come out and basically be split down the middle.Theres about 18 hours labour in it.

ohh .... middle of the engine.... It takes almost half time of complete engine rebuilding. To avoid that costly repair is only solution to save oil and often. Oil and the filter are cheap. I know, most of the boards members will be mad if I say something about preventive maintenance. We have big thread about DIY oil change and it is really easy and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Maintaining a car.. it's a all a Big money racket.

We should be able to drive a car from New for 4yrs without doing anything.

Then complain that the NCT is another scam, and ask if a shot of Dipetane will fix things.

It's the Irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

w211 wrote: »
    ohh .... middle of the engine.... It takes almost half time of complete engine rebuilding. To avoid that costly repair is only solution to save oil and often. Oil and the filter are cheap. I know, most of the boards members will be mad if I say something about preventive maintenance. We have big thread about DIY oil change and it is really easy and very cheap.

My car requires an oil/filter every 30k or 24months.

I change them at 12k or 9months (ish)
    Overkill.. maybe, but at 160k on the odometer, and never an issue

pa990 wrote: »
    Maintaining a car.. it's a all a Big money racket.

We should be able to drive a car from New for 4yrs without doing anything.

Then complain that the NCT is another scam, and ask if a shot of Dipetane will fix things.

It's the Irish way.
    NCT are really easy on Ireland. Half of old Irish cars could not pass on eastern europe NCT. It does not mean here are dangerous car on the road, just they are there too strict. I seen how here they basically testing and testing until they get the good numbers to get the pass. So we all should say thanks to NCT workers. Yes it does not erase the car problems. That way testing even the car by weakest brakes can pass.

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    My car requires an oil/filter every 30k or 24months.

I change them at 12k or 9months (ish)
    Overkill.. maybe, but at 160k on the odometer, and never an issue

I did even earlier the last one 4.5km and 6 months. The recommended are 20k and/or 1 year

WOW … did I strike a nerve with all the mechanics on here ?! "You ok hons "

Thanks for the opinions...…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think its shock from anyone buying a mokka

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Your money racket of a dealer service just saved you almost 2.5k
    The timing chain (Im assuming its a 1.6diesel) on these is actually bang in the middle of the engine not on the side like a normal diesel.
    Last warranty one I did was 1800 euros and that was a warranty payment so was substantially cheaper than a retail job.
    The engine has to come out and basically be split down the middle.Theres about 18 hours labour in it.

Who in hell signs off on these designs?

Between cars that need some combination of wheel arch liner and / or bumper to be removed to change a headlight bulb, oil filters buried in some inaccessible nook of the engine bay so a ramp is needed for a simple routine service to needing to split an engine down the middle to replace a timing belt or chain.

Maintenance and service items should be accessible and designed with ease of maintenance in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I thought that after 3000 odd post on Boards, you should have been expecting a 'robust' debate at the very least.

i think its shock from anyone buying a mokka

You have nothing better to do on your midterm break ? Go tidy your room, all those socks are starting to smell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Only 40,000kms on her.

What about checking the brakes, suspension, diagnostic scan, lights, wiper blades etc...

A dealer will do all that too.
    You probabaly won't.

swarlb wrote: »
    I thought that after 3000 odd post on Boards, you should have been expecting a 'robust' debate at the very least.

A debate?
    I asked a question.....

No one picked up on the bit about their attitude to the tyre warning light …. But , I should expect that during a "robust debate" ……..

No one picked up on the bit about their attitude to the tyre warning light …. But , I should expect that during a "robust debate" ……..

I spotted it, its a bit odd, probabaly a reflection on the person you spoke to.

Honestly 300 for a dealer service is good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

A debate?
    I asked a question.....

And you expected an answer ? I'm surprised someone didn't turn up and mention Brexit and the implications for servicing cars... going forward !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I spotted it, its a bit odd, probabaly a reflection on the person you spoke to.

Honestly 300 for a dealer service is good value.

Really? Audi is €195, and they’re supposed to be pricey.

I find lately a lot of the more premium manufacturers seem to have quite good service prices, Audi, BMW, Merc etc all seem to have very competitive menu prices whereas some of the lesser brands that you'd expect to be cheap have outrageous servicing, Hyundai is a good example of this and it wouldn't surprise me with Opel either, the brand is on it's knees anyway so they might as well drive away existing owners with over the top service bills.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Really? Audi is €195, and they’re supposed to be pricey.

"Audi is €195"
    Does not mean anything.
    Which garage is that at?
    And for what model car?

My mate payed 400 for a major service in Michael Moore's Athlone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

"Audi is €195"
    Does not mean anything.
    Which garage is that at?
    And for what model car?

My mate payed 400 for a major service in Michael Moore's Athlone.

Audi Cork for an A6, has been at that for years. Same service as quoted in the OP. Depending on what they are covering in the major service, I’m sure it’s fairly easy to get to €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Expert service is 199 which is an oil change and filter and inspection.

Major service is 359 which isoil and filter
    Fuel filter air filter and pollen filter and inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Sounds like that "money racket" saved you a nice few quid in the long run if they've spotted that. They'd probably have been better off ignoring it, letting it run out of warranty and then you'd have to pay for it, but that'd be a money racket too, or "planned obsolescence", just to make it outside the warranty.

Definitely a plausible story anyway. Chains are intended for life but very often don't make it, generally down to either poor design or poor servicing. Some manufacturers are very good at making timing chains that actually work but Opel would have a really bad track record with timing chain failures historically so it's not unthinkable that yours is having a premature failure.

Is a timing belt not expected to last for 10 years?

I'd imagine that in that case, regardless of the warranty the dealer would be liable for that as it would be reasonable to assume you're regularly serviced 171 car would not need a new timing belt that early

9935452 wrote: »
    Expert service is 199 which is an oil change and filter and inspection.

Major service is 359 which isoil and filter
    Fuel filter air filter and pollen filter and inspection.

The fuel filter replacement these days cost almost that money alone. It does not apply for all cars and models, only these where fuel filter are inside the gas tank. They call it fuel supply unit and only that part cost load of money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hyundai is a good example of this and it wouldn't surprise me with Opel either, the brand is on it's knees anyway so they might as well drive away existing owners with over the top service bills.

Worked for both in the past. Hyundais service prices were outrageous.
    Opels menu prices arent far off but opel want you to sign up for their service club in order to keep the cars within the network not drive them away.

Vehicle Age 0-12 months 5% disc on parts and labour
    13-36 months 15% discount on parts and labour
    37-60 months 20% disc on parts and labour
    61 months+ 25% disc on parts and labour.

Theyre not bad offers espceially if youve got one just outside warrant or have been hit with a big workshop bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Is a timing belt not expected to last for 10 years?

I'd imagine that in that case, regardless of the warranty the dealer would be liable for that as it would be reasonable to assume you're regularly serviced 171 car would not need a new timing belt that early
    It's a chain, they are supposed to last the lifetime of the engine.

Advertisement