Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite horse ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Winx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Flat - Hawk Wing

Jumps - Istabraq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

I’ve a few favorites that aren’t superstars, they just ran well anytime I backed them, my fav has to be caspian prince tho, you get everything from him every time and some big price wins down the years.

Had a soft spot for peddlers cross the year hurricane fly beat him still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Sea The Stars & Zarkava - flat

Denman
    Lough Derg
    Monets Garden
    Neptune Collonges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Mr Ed.......... no horse could ever do what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Labaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Winx

:Rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

The Galway horses of my youth - Steel Duke, Double Wrapped and Pinch Hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

For me it has to be Kauto Star. There aren’t too many horses that you look forward to seeing weeks before they run. 2006/2007 was magical. Jesus he was some horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Black beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Seabiscuit read a book about him that was fantastic
    Red Rum hard to beat his National record
    Desert Orchid was huge at a time

Think they really captured the general public's imagination at their prime

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Istabraq.
    Never had a bet on him as was worried I'd jinx him!
    In the days when there were so few Irish trained winners at Cheltenham, he always delivered. A large photo of istabraq proudly displayed on wall in my home, much to the dismay of my wife. ( only a small photo of her on the mantelpiece).

Also a mention for Morleystreet (......obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Can't believe Himself hasn't got a mention. You must all be too young. However, as a Scouser my favourite has to be Rummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Red Rum definately.
    Don't follow the racing much recently,but yeah,suprised no ones mentioned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Dessie for me

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭jj mac

Moscow flyer. Class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Sprinter Sacre would be #1. A once in a lifetime horse. Loved Vautour as well, just so effortless. Thistlecrack out of current crop, hopefully he has his day in the Gold Cup, would be one of the greatest stories in the history of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Angliru wrote: »
    Sprinter Sacre would be #1. A once in a lifetime horse. Loved Vautour as well, just so effortless. Thistlecrack out of current crop, hopefully he has his day in the Gold Cup, would be one of the greatest stories in the history of the sport.

sprinter sacre for me .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

My Main man Ray

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

From a gambling point of view had to be Danoli
    Istabraq
    St Nicholas Abbey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Garrison Savannah. Gold Cup 91 and a great run in the National.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Also a notable mention for the first winner and maybe even first horse I backed. At 6 years of age. Mr Frisk who won the 1990 Grand National.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Five pages and no mentions of Best Mate?????
    3 time gold cup winner and a real battler when he needed to be.

I loved Rooster Booster as well, he used to travel so well and when he won Champion Hurdle on the bridle - wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Zarkandar. Made me plenty of $$$ :-)

Used to work with a girl called Hayley O'Connor. And she told me about Zarkandar when it first came on the scene. She was great for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

As a child I loved Dancing Brave and his performance in defeat in the Derby was phenomenal.
    The first national hunt horse that I dreamt about was Montelado.
    Relkeel was another hurdler that probably would have won a champion hurdle had he shown up at Cheltenham in peak condition.
    In the Denman v Kauto Star era I was a Denman fan.
    I suppose the main thing these horses have in common is that they probably most remembered for defeats or injuries and not fulfilling their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

I was fortunate enough to be a sports mad 10 year old in 1964 when Arkle and Muhammad Ali won their first Gold Cup and Heavyweight Title respectively . Their stars burn as brightly 55 years later .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

:Rolleyes:

:) Kingston Town, Octagonal and Red Cadeaux also up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lamtara, cue card, treve accelerating twice in the arc was breath taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Moscow Flyer over the jumps - Privileged to be at Sandown in 2004 to see him beat Azertyuiop and Well Chief.

On the flat, because of his stud career I think he's often overlooked but Galileo was some animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sizing Europe - That 2011 Queen Mother had me hooked on him!

Advertisement