Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been here to Yosemite National Park?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm thinking about 4 days Yosemite, staying in at Curry Village (because that's the only accommodation they have left).

I'm considering to add three further days to somewhere else but not sure where. Currently have got in mind:

- Mammoth Lakes
    - Monterey/Carmel
    - Santa Barbara

I'm leaning towards Santa Barbara because I don't have a car which means I can't do big sur so it feels a bit pointless going to Monterey/Carmel without big sur. Santa Barbara's beaches look absolutely gorgeous on google maps. Mammoth Lakes look stunning but after 4 days in Yosemite 3 further days of hiking might exhaust me, plus the journey back from Mammoth to Fresno on YARTS is full 8-9 hours.

For those that have hiked Yosemite, what are the trails like? Are they well marked out? Because I'll be going on my own and I don't want to end up getting lost. Clouds rest is 16 miles round trip with a steep 9,000 feet climb. I'm hesitant about doing it given I'm an amateur hiker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

You could try pairing with some people OP. There are always people doing the same.
    I know upper Yosemite falls is just a follow the trail sort of thing. You can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

For those that have hiked Yosemite, what are the trails like? Are they well marked out? Because I'll be going on my own and I don't want to end up getting lost. Clouds rest is 16 miles round trip with a steep 9,000 feet climb. I'm hesitant about doing it given I'm an amateur hiker.

I've been the park multiple times in all seasons, usually staying the max 7 nights each time to do a lot of hiking. We stay in Foresta in a cabin rental. It's 10 minutes drive from the valley floor, it is inside the park. Use VRBO to find those rentals. But if you don't have a car that is an issue!

In July there is still plenty of water in the waterfalls, and this year should have loads.

The trails in the park are well defined. Only time they can get sketchy is in the wilderness part but unless you're doing multi-day hikes with camping in between you wont hit the wilderness designated areas.

I've hiked up Half Dome twice, it is a lottery to get a permit, but it is a good system & works. I tend not to go to the park in summer as it's too busy, so we go in September, plan ahead & get a permit no problems. You apply in March, and find out at the end of March. You can apply for a permit 2 days beforehand but that is only for about 50 permits.
    Any number of trails around the valley floor. Clouds Rest isn't in the valley though, it's up near Tuolumne Meadows. It's a 12.5 mile hike & while easier than Half Dome the one thing that might catch you out is that it is hiking at altitude. We done the hike & on the return leg, couldn't understand why my wife was struggling, to the point I thought I would need to get rangers help! We took it extra easy & got back to the car, drove down to the cabin in Foresta (back to 4000 feet) & she was fine! It was the altitude! The hike itself only climbs up around 1000 feet (Half Dome hike goes up 5000!) but you are hiking the whole time at around 8500 up to nearly 10000! But the view at the summit of CR is unbeatable, way better than standing on Half Dome's visor!

Any other q's let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm thinking about 4 days Yosemite, staying in at Curry Village (because that's the only accommodation they have left).

I'm considering to add three further days to somewhere else but not sure where. Currently have got in mind:

- Mammoth Lakes
    - Monterey/Carmel
    - Santa Barbara

I'm leaning towards Santa Barbara because I don't have a car which means I can't do big sur so it feels a bit pointless going to Monterey/Carmel without big sur. Santa Barbara's beaches look absolutely gorgeous on google maps. Mammoth Lakes look stunning but after 4 days in Yosemite 3 further days of hiking might exhaust me, plus the journey back from Mammoth to Fresno on YARTS is full 8-9 hours.

SB is pretty walkable, plus there's a trolley service that goes up and down the main st for 25 cents. Plus bike hire services etc.

Just make sure you're staying in SB, not Goleta or somewhere outside. Goleta is nice too, but you'd need a car to get to SB from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

SB is pretty walkable, plus there's a trolley service that goes up and down the main st for 25 cents. Plus bike hire services etc.

Just make sure you're staying in SB, not Goleta or somewhere outside. Goleta is nice too, but you'd need a car to get to SB from there.

I was thinking about some of the upmarket places on the beach near Stearns Wharf.

I will be visiting California again multiple times in my life and in future trips will involve a car (I'm only learning to drive at the moment!), so I'm trying cobble up a trip for now that is doable without one, hence why I'm visiting SF and not LA. Monterey/Carmel appears to be a much better trip with one as well given how much coastline there is to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I was thinking about some of the upmarket places on the beach near Stearns Wharf.

I will be visiting California again multiple times in my life and in future trips will involve a car (I'm only learning to drive at the moment!), so I'm trying cobble up a trip for now that is doable without one, hence why I'm visiting SF and not LA. Monterey/Carmel appears to be a much better trip with one as well given how much coastline there is to see.

Anywhere by the wharf will be fine. Right on the beach, a few restaurants but not too many (Endless summer in the marina is good as is Longboards on the wharf) and Sambos is a great spot for breakfast.

Many, many more food choices as you head up State St and get past the freeway underpass.

Someone told me recently that SB has more restaurants per head of population than anywhere else in the US. I don't know if that's true, but there are a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Monterey/Carmel is 100% one that you'd need a car for. It is absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I drove on the coastroads from la to San Francisco , staying in various towns along on the way and visiting fantastic sights such as Hearst’s mansion. The hire car provided to us was a convertible mustang so really added to the trip... really cool.

We stayed in San Francisco (fabulous place)for afew days without car and then collected our hire Jeep which had been upgraded from Toyota 4Runner to a big 5.7l Infiniti Jeep! We drove from there to Yosemite, spending two nights in Yosemite ...Yosemite was lovely but no waterfalls at time as they were dry! Was a pity... I would probably advise more time than two days as we only seen the basics there! We drove on then towards rainbow canyon where jet fighters are regularly seen flying through the canyon... we missed an f16 by afew mins!!! Seen it flying away from afar...was sickened! Anyways continued on to Las Vegas from there... getting pulled by policeman for speeding along the way ... he was kind enough to let me away though! Passed by Indian Springs Air Force base where drones and secret/new jets like the f35 are flown from... didn’t see any on the day though!

Got to Las Vegas then and handed back car,!chilled out then till home time.

The above trip was best holiday I ever did ... absolutely loved it and was a great experience ... got to see America properly ... if you don’t mind driving then that’s what I’d advise you to do. Some people are scared of driving on opposite side of road and driving automatics but it’s easy.... I’d advise you to consider something like I did ... make Yosemite part of a big road trip.

Advertisement