Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger 800 XC for 99% road use ?

• 16-02-2019 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick one,

Considering a Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie, also mulling over the XC version, as the ergonomics and better suspension setup would suit me better.

However, the XC by default are fitted with tubed tyres. Would this put you off ? considering it's going to be 99% road use. ? :confused:

Having a serious blowout is putting the skits up me. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

homer90 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick one,

Considering a Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie, also mulling over the XC version, as the ergonomics and better suspension setup would suit me better.

However, the XC by default are fitted with tubed tyres. Would this put you off ? considering it's going to be 99% road use. ? :confused:

Having a serious blowout is putting the skits up me. :eek:

I can't comment on the Tiger, but when my son was selling his F800GS which I loved I was very tempted to move down from my R1200GS but the deciding factor was going back to a chain, and tubed tyres.

It doesn't bother some, but I carry plugs and cannisters in the event of a puncture. I know I can plug a hole and be on my way in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

It doesn't bother some, but I carry plugs and cannisters in the event of a puncture. I know I can plug a hole and be on my way in ten minutes.

Same here, i think I'd only buy an adventure bike with spoked wheels if I was going off road but I know a few lads that have them and no issues
    These days I prefer reliability and comfort above anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bear in mind that's not the only difference. You're looking at longer suspension travel and a 21 inch front wheel. Both will make a difference to how it rides on the road. The seat is taller too. If it was my money I'd buy something that's designed for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I rode one and thought there were a cracking bike

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'm slightly (well completely) biased, given I've had a Tiger 800 XRT for the past 2yrs .... and I'm also selling it - https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2015-triumph-tiger-800-xrt/21059680

So definitely an XR over XC for me ... but mine has the XC beak on it, so you can pretend it's an XC if you want.

In fairness great bikes, very much all rounders. I went looking to buy an BMW F800 and after being totally built up to buy one, it let me down, the dealer happened to have a Tiger 800 too, which wasn't in my radar at all, but took it for a ride, and it was the most comfortable and easy to ride bike I've ever ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

thos wrote: »
    I'm slightly (well completely) biased, given I've had a Tiger 800 XRT for the past 2yrs .... and I'm also selling it - https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2015-triumph-tiger-800-xrt/21059680

So definitely an XR over XC for me ... but mine has the XC beak on it, so you can pretend it's an XC if you want.

In fairness great bikes, very much all rounders. I went looking to buy an BMW F800 and after being totally built up to buy one, it let me down, the dealer happened to have a Tiger 800 too, which wasn't in my radar at all, but took it for a ride, and it was the most comfortable and easy to ride bike I've ever ridden.

Hi thos,

Would you consider selling the panniers and rack separately? Perhaps if your perspective buyer didn't want panniers? Based in North Dublin also.

So as not to hijack the OP'S thread I bought an 800XC with no intention of going off road. I just prefer the look and slightly increased height. TBH I didn't even consider the tyre issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Cheers for input guys.. certainly food for thought. Also prefer the XC stance and wp suspension setup. The ones im looking at have full luggage etc for not much more than a standard road version.
    Just the tubed rims the main issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've ridden tubed and tubeless for years never had a blowout but have had a few punctures.
    If you are really worried about tubes buy some of the Michelin 4mm ultra heavy duty ones and they are really hard to puncture or pinch offroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've ridden tubed and tubeless for years never had a blowout but have had a few punctures.
    If you are really worried about tubes buy some of the Michelin 4mm ultra heavy duty ones and they are really hard to puncture or pinch offroad.

Yeah t think it's the way to go CJ. Just for that extra bit of reassurance.
    Mind pretty much made up, now just to get the deal done.

Advertisement