Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refill or swap caravan gas tank

Options
  • 10-02-2019 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Just bought a caravan lately and looking to refill the gas tank.
    Not sure where I can find a place that does refills (would lpg providers do it ?) or just replace it with a full tank?

Another thing I'm curios, could I swap the current gas cylinder with the one that I have for the bbq? I see it connects using a jumbo regulator, so I'd have to move that as well to caravan?

Any suggestions are welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The green bottle is a UK POL fitting, you need to buy a 21.8LH propane pigtail for the regulator and swap it over.
    The jumbo regulator can be made to fit but you will need to bypass the fitted regulator and I think thats a whole lot of hassle for potentially little gain, plus you will be changing gas to a type that will freeze below 0°C
    The pigtail you need is this one: https://gasproducts.co.uk/caravan-marine/gas-pigtails/20-148-propane-butane-gas-pigtail-butane-nut-x-w20.html

Also the hose looks to have a severe bend in it you might be better buying a bigger bottle and the hose won't be as stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We use the 11kg red propane cylinders in the caravan, has the same fitting as your current cylinder.

It’s a tight fit into the gas locker but not too bad.

https://goo.gl/images/PkmEA5

_Brian wrote: »
    We use the 11kg red propane cylinders in the caravan, has the same fitting as your current cylinder.

Where do you get the POL valved cylinders here Brian?
    Irish Propane uses a LH thread with a W20 nut the same as the UK butane fitting.
    UK propane uses an internal POL fitting with a Bullnose to seal.
    Irish Butane has a Jumbo fittiing the same as the BBQ one shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Thanks for help lads, this is very helpful.

I won't be byassing the caravan's regulator, so I guess I'll stay with the current system.

So my best bet will be to stay with the current system, UK one?

In this case I'll need to find a calorgas retailer that sells them around west Dublin.

Thanks!

rosmoke wrote: »
    Thanks for help lads, this is very helpful.

I won't be byassing the caravan's regulator, so I guess I'll stay with the current system.

So my best bet will be to stay with the current system, UK one?

In this case I'll need to find a calorgas retailer that sells them around west Dublin.

Thanks!

If you intend on staying in Ireland, then replacing the pigtail with an Irish Propane one would be the best.
    Finding POL Propane cylinders is not that easy.

• Advertisement

What pigtail do I need to use the Irish propane ones?
    POL Pigtail to W20 ?
    I see they are 3 sizes if so, 20", 25" and 40", those sizes are for which end, pol or w20?

Sorry, I'm clueless.

_Brian wrote: »

I'd be interested where we can get the POL Propane cylinders as well Brian.
    Cheers.

What pigtail do I need to use the Irish propane ones?
    POL Pigtail to W20 ?
    I see they are 3 sizes if so, 20", 25" and 40", those sizes are for which end, pol or w20?

Sorry, I'm clueless.

The one I linked to comes in three sizes, 20" long 35" and 48" I don't think you need a 3ft or 4ft length so the 20" with the W20 nut will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As has been said you need to replace the existing pigtail with ONE OF THESE
    If you want to use a bottle with a clip-on connection, like your patio gas bottle, you can add ONE OF THESE to the end of the pigtail, it's not a regulator so you will still be using the original bulkhead mounted one.

Thank you lads, I finally got around understanding which is which, mostly to replies on this thread.

In the end I have ordered the Gaslow 11kg wall filling LPG kit. I think it's better this way on the long term.

• Advertisement

I guess that works if you don't plan on running out but with a refillable you can always keep it topped up.
    How much was that gaslow kit?

Yeah, I've had 2 cars on LPG by now, it is cheap and does the job.
    It was 320 for all system including adapters for EU + 18e caravan silicone adhesive.

Wow, thats not a cheap system. €320 would buy a lot of gas.

Yeah, just the tank was around 180 but there's the filling point another 90 quid, it adds up quick.

Lpg is around 0.6e/l, should pay for itself after 17 refills, that's probably 2 years for me, but I plan to go around Europe this summer, so it'll be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd be interested where we can get the POL Propane cylinders as well Brian.
    Cheers.

There are three suppliers near me here in Cavan.

I ditched my 5kg reserve bottle when I installed the compressor fridge.
    Thuther 5kg now lasts entire seasons because I don't use it for heating either.

Advertisement