Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

elections and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The 2019 local election vote is on 24 May. You can register to vote until 7 May.

A lot of people don't realise that people who live in Ireland but were born abroad are entitled to vote in local elections.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

You can get the form to register to vote at any post office. You then fill in the form and bring it, with photo ID (for instance, a modern driving licence with your photo and address) to a garda station and request a garda to sign it. You then send it to the Franchise Section of your local council. (In theory you can register online, but this system is, so far, a little meh.)

Here's a helpful website for Dubliners http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council/register-vote

Dublin Inquirer has a very useful site where you can check any existing councillor's voting record - take a look at how those of your candidates who are standing again have voted on cycling issues:

https://www.counciltracker.ie

List of all candidates by constituency attached. (Thanks for moving this, mb)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, there's an option using 'manage attachments' if you use the 'go advanced' button - this is on the main 'fat' site. not sure what you'd see if you're posting from a smartphone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're having trouble attaching it, you could mail it to me and i could attach it to the thread.

speaking of elections, i spotted posters for a candidate called cathal haughey this morning. is he the next generation?
    spotted on griffith avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Anyone know where I can get a list of candidates? Looking in particular for Bandon/Kinsale in Cork coco.

• Advertisement

donalh087 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a list of candidates? Looking in particular for Bandon/Kinsale in Cork coco.

Here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Here you go:

That's missing quite a lot of candidates - for example there's 6 seats up for grabs in the Stillorgan electoral area in Dun-Laoghaire Rathdown, but that only lists 6 candidates; there's 7 seats in Glencullen-Sandyford, but it's only listing 5 candidates!

If you can add to it and repost that would be useful.

Meanwhile, in relation to the proposed quietway in south Dublin, which would have made a safe route taking in 13 schools from Kimmage to Donnybrook, the three councillors who voted for consultation on the project were Cllr Paddy Smyth (not standing this time), Cllr Patrick Costello, and Cllr Claire Byrne).

Here are the councillors who voted against funding public consultation for the quietway: Cllr Mary Freehill, Cllr Dermot Lacey, Chris Andrews, Claire O’Connor, Ruairi McGinley, Cllr Sonya Stapleton, Cllr Anne Feeney and Cllr Paddy McCartan.

Cllr Kieran Binchy abstained. Cllr Frank Kennedy and Cllr Mannix Flynn were absent, but Cllr Flynn had made his objections known before hand.

Cllr Michael Mullooly spoke against the route at the meeting, although he was not able to vote as he is not a member of the local area committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If you can add to it and repost that would be useful.

Meanwhile, in relation to the proposed quietway in south Dublin, which would have made a safe route taking in 13 schools from Kimmage to Donnybrook, the three councillors who voted for consultation on the project were Cllr Paddy Smyth (not standing this time), Cllr Patrick Costello, and Cllr Claire Byrne).

Here are the councillors who voted against funding public consultation for the quietway: Cllr Mary Freehill, Cllr Dermot Lacey, Chris Andrews, Claire O’Connor, Ruairi McGinley, Cllr Sonya Stapleton, Cllr Anne Feeney and Cllr Paddy McCartan.

Cllr Kieran Binchy abstained. Cllr Frank Kennedy and Cllr Mannix Flynn were absent, but Cllr Flynn had made his objections known before hand.

Cllr Michael Mullooly spoke against the route at the meeting, although he was not able to vote as he is not a member of the local area committee.

Nominations don't close till the end of this week, so I'd imagine there'll be comprehensive lists published then - will share when I see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Thanks Rechuchote but it has very few candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

blackwhite wrote: »
    Nominations don't close till the end of this week, so I'd imagine there'll be comprehensive lists published then - will share when I see one.

yep, plenty of candidates still lodging their papers.

For existing candidates, this Dublin Inquirer fuelled guide to how candidates voted (in votes that were registered rather than handy-wavey) is useful:

https://www.counciltracker.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

conuiler wrote: »
    Neasa Hourigan (Green Party) is also running in Cabra/Glasnevin. The greens are all incredibly cycle friendly, and its unlikely they'd give it up because its politically expedient.

Like they gave up on Metro Link because it was politically expedient . I'd not hold my breath they'll remain pro cyclists

If cyclists make their cycling infrastructure-related voting intentions clear and use #ibikeivote on social media, then being cycling-friendly will become politically expedient.

(Why is there a "This page isn't working" message coming up half the time when you try to post, mods?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

spurred by this chap popping into my facebook feed; i know little about him, except that he seems to be pedestrian and cyclist friendly:

Neasa Hourigan, also in Cabra-Glasnevin and also a cyclist. One of the founders of the new Irish Pedestrian Network/DublinBlockers which aims to make the city more pedestrian friendly and which received good support from the various cyclist lobby groups.

https://neasahourigan.com/post/inaugural-meeting-of-irish-pedestrian-network/

In general your local Green Party candidate will have sustainable transport as a core policy.

Disclaimer: I'm a Green Party member so may be biased.

(Why is there a "This page isn't working" message coming up half the time when you try to post, mods?)

I see this at the top of the site so could be some hiccups following that work.
    Hi everyone, we will be performing some maintenance work in the datacentre on Tuesday, April 30th between 5am and 9am. This could result in some disruption, so we apologise in advance for any issues.

If you aren't registered to vote, print this out, fill it out, bring it to a garda station with photo ID (eg driving licence) and get it signed, and send it to the Franchise Section of your local council. You have till 7 May to register.

Like they gave up on Metro Link because it was politically expedient . I'd not hold my breath they'll remain pro cyclists
    it wasn't them who gave up on metro link though, was it? they're not actually in power...

Also follow this website: https://adriankavanaghelections.org/

speaking of the greens, unfortunately for me i know shag all about their candidate (catherine conroy) where i live.
    and as mentioned, i have a candidate who is Anointed Among Many re cycling - andrew montague - in my constituency.
    the fact that many of his posters make him look like john cale is only a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

speaking of the greens, unfortunately for me i know shag all about their candidate (catherine conroy) where i live.
    and as mentioned, i have a candidate who is Anointed Among Many re cycling - andrew montague - in my constituency.
    the fact that many of his posters make him look like john cale is only a bonus.

You need to get many councillors that have the same policies into the council, as one pro cycling councillor can't do much

it wasn't them who gave up on metro link though, was it? they're not actually in power...

Eamon Ryan threw it under the bus to protect the car lobby. Call that what you like but it ain't green politics in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Eamon Ryan threw it under the bus to protect the car lobby.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you are getting at here?

Are you taking about some recent intervention - he's just a TD now, not in government. He has a pretty detailed history of his Metro submissions here - https://www.eamonryan.ie/metro. Is there something specific you are referring to?

Or when he was Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources from 07-11? (not Minister for Transport mind).

are you talking recently? eamon ryan has no power to throw it under a bus. he's not in the NTA, nor is he any of the parties/groupings in power.

if you have a link to his stance on it, i'd be curious to read it; but it's one thing to say he's against it, and another to actually lay the blame for it at his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

are you talking recently? eamon ryan has no power to throw it under a bus. he's not in the NTA, nor is he any of the parties/groupings in power.

if you have a link to his stance on it, i'd be curious to read it; but it's one thing to say he's against it, and another to actually lay the blame for it at his feet.

Does the green party have any power in any of the councils at the moment?
    Be good to see what they did ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He's the scapegoat on many a thread in the Commuting and Transport forum.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you are getting at here?

Are you taking about some recent intervention - he's just a TD now, not in government. He has a pretty detailed history of his Metro submissions here - https://www.eamonryan.ie/metro. Is there something specific you are referring to?

Or when he was Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources from 07-11? (not Minister for Transport mind).

He opposed the closure of Dunville Rd and pandered to the nimby's. His UCD metro is a nonsensical idea only proposed to give him political cover for his above opposition.

I didn't mean he threw it under the bus in terms of being in power and pulling the plug on it . I meant he didn't actively support the proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I didn't mean he threw it under the bus in terms of being in power and pulling the plug on it . I meant he didn't actively support the proposal

Pushing a hypothetical UCD/Rathfarnham metro instead of disrupting the precious Green Line is a cynical stance which many politicians, not just Eamon Ryan, have taken. It's frustrating.

Having said that, in my area the Green candidate is really the only pro cycling choice. In other areas the Labour candidates seem good (Andrew Montague, Rebecca Moynihan, Peter O'Brien).

• Advertisement

Is Catherine Conroy the freel who writes for the Times sometimes?

As for Dunville Avenue, the plan was going to be pretty terrible for the locality. Bunches of kids unable to ride their bikes to Gonzaga, Louis, Alex, etc, the two ends of Dunville utterly blocked except for lifts (which they have in Beechwood and are regularly out of service at night and weekends).

Advertisement