Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue light protection

• 24-11-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I'm very sensitive to fluorescent lighting and glare from computer screens etc, I'm looking into non-prescription glasses with either anti-glare or blue light blocking lenses. The anti-glare are cheaper, does anybody know if the blue light blockers are overkill in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I paid for blue-blocking in my prescription lenses about a month ago, it was 10 Euro extra per lens.
    A few days ago I came across this position from The College of Optometrists.
    After reading it, next time I will not bother with them.

"The best scientific evidence currently available does not support the use of blue-blocking spectacle lenses in the general population to improve visual performance, alleviate the symptoms of eye fatigue or visual discomfort, improve sleep quality or conserve macula health."
    https://www.college-optometrists.org/the-college/policy/position-statements/blue-blocking-spectacle-lenses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

otnomart wrote: »
    I paid for blue-blocking in my prescription lenses about a month ago, it was 10 Euro extra per lens.
    A few days ago I came across this position from The College of Optometrists.
    After reading it, next time I will not bother with them.

"The best scientific evidence currently available does not support the use of blue-blocking spectacle lenses in the general population to improve visual performance, alleviate the symptoms of eye fatigue or visual discomfort, improve sleep quality or conserve macula health."
    https://www.college-optometrists.org/the-college/policy/position-statements/blue-blocking-spectacle-lenses.html

The issue I have with these studies is that they don't seem to factor in the variance that there is in people in terms of sensitivity, or that people with auto-immune conditions may be affected more.

Advertisement