Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2019

• 01-11-2018 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & girls.

It gives me great pleasure to announce the list of venues for the forthcoming year for the Boards golf society for 2019.

Portmarnock Links GC - February 23th - 12.00pm

Athy GC - March 16th - 11.00am

The European GC - April 20th - 11.00am

Esker Hills GC - May 18th - 11.30am

Thurles GC - June 15th - 11.00am

Castleknock GC - July 20th - 11.00am

Carlow GC - August 17th - 11.00am

DOOKS GC - CAPTAINS PRIZE - September 21st - 2.00pm

We normally play the 3rd Saturday of each month "Feb - Sept"

*But please note the first outing "Portmarnock Links" is on the "4th" Sat of the month*

Membership is €30 for the year. As you can see there is 8 outings. Your best 5 outings count towards making the Ryder Jug team. At each outing you will get points depending on where you finished. Top 10 automatically qualify for the Ryder Jug team & the Captain (Me) has 2 picks :D We also have a Golfer of the year award. So even if you dont win an outing you have something to play for all year. The Ryder Jug team plays against another Society "The Reps" normally around the 3rd Saturday in October venue tba.

New members most welcome! You just need to have a love of the game :)

Hopefully the venues will entice some of the old members back! And a lot of new members to join. I hope there tempted at least.

This year I tried my best to put a real emphasis on the quality of Courses & to get them as cheap as possible which with rates going up is no easy task! I like to thank the committee for all the help & the people that done me favours! There was a lot of work & haggling involved behind the scenes that really goes unnoticed.

Many thanks to Post Punk the outgoing Captain I personally had a great year! Got my first Boards win, nearly had a second only for Tigerwood1 to beat me by a point on the 18th but a great round & great memories.. And gave the Golfer of the year a real run..

So thats it! Enjoy the break & hopefully 2019 is a golfing year to remember.

Your Captain for 2019

benny79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Just a bit about my own Boards golf experience. I was a member of the Golf forum for a number of years always reading threads starting some and generally getting involved but never had the courage to join the Boards Golf society. I was tempted each year but meeting a bunch of people of the internet was a bit weird imo :D

Then about 3 or 4 years ago some of the venues were to hard to resist and I took the plunge & I wished I had of done it sooner! After all we play with strangers most weeks at our clubs thats what makes golf a unique sport in a way.

So I rocked into The Heritage golf club on my own with a bunch of lads & some women staring at me or so I taught! The first person I spoke to was doublecross & lucky enough it was his first outing too! Boards virgins :D and its safe to say its one of the best decisions I every made!

I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought :D) played some great courses & being to some of the most beautiful parts this Country of ours has to offer! So much so I look forward to the Boards outings more than my Clubs!! If only the boards was every week.

So if you were once like me please feel free to come along man or women & get involved. I can guarantee, it will be one of the best decisions you make. Of course some venues there's a bit of travel involved but life is short & trust me its totally worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some quality tracks there in fairness, best of luck for the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck this year captain. Can’t wait to get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Cracking line up Benny! I'll write down those days and try get in booking requests! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Great looking line up, can't wait :)

• Advertisement

great looking line up, hoping to actually join society this year played a few years back as guest

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Looks like a very interesting lineup! Is Portmarnock the hotel course or the Portmarnock Golf Club?

Looks like a very interesting lineup! Is Portmarnock the hotel course or the Portmarnock Golf Club?

Its the hotel course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great list there Benny, a class mix of courses.

Have never played the European & it's really high on my list.

Carlos was a cracker of a course a few years ago, looking forward to getting back there.

Good luck for the year, will be aiming to retain the captains prize :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

]I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

Break80 wrote: »
    ]I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought :D)

Best of luck for the year Captain.
    I am welling up here after that compliment.

I will use this quote for the full year of tour captaincy just to remind you;););)

Have never played the European & it's really high on my list.

Your in for a treat! I have played it once a few years ago over the Christmas to get the winter rate as the summer rate is mad money and without doubt its by far the best course I ever played and we have it in April! I'm most excited about this one.

Oh and Tiger Woods has the course record I think its a 69 if I'm not mistaking. His card is in the club house.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭kennethrhcp

looks good Benny!!! I'll join up this year... had a great laugh at Castlemartyr last year.

I will need to be a bum for the majority of trips up the country as myself & my wife share a car (apologies in advance but I'll be generous with petrol money ;) )

No Hassle Kenneth good to have you on board. Im sure one of the many Cork lads can sort you out. I hope to start a car pooling thread alongside each outing as I noticed a lot do travel more or less from the same direction plus would help some with petrol money which is always a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Cracking lineup Captain, I am really happy about a few great links up there. Hopefully I will be able to play more outings than last year

Looking forward to it!

Btw, will have to buy plenty of balls this year, Portmarnock, European and Dooks... a few dozens required for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good luck captain, I guess this is where you grab the reigns and take over. It's clear to see you are trying to build the numbers so hopefully the great list of courses will entice a few new guys to join and a few old regulars to return.

I'm just surprised that you haven't included St. Andrews as the second outing :) ... You, me, a couple of other Dubs and a few of your Cork mates heading over in early March is a testament as to how the society has bonded over the years and how good a bunch of lads we are and mates we gave become...... Maybe we should stick up a thread for that actually, generate a bit if interest and show the others who are on the fence what they are missing out on.

Anyway, lads and lassies, I manage Teamer which we use to organise the outings. We have lots of people in there who have never even shown up to an outing. I will be conducting a cull in the coming weeks so if you are on it and not a regular attendee, let me know if you want to stay on it.

If you are new here, interested in joining up, drop me a pm with your name, email, phone number, handicap and club. No biggie if you don't have a club or handicap, we will sort you out. Beginners, improvers, pros...... All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unsure if I'll join, but must try and get to a few outings. Great list there, nice spread around the country.

Played in one event years ago. Hadn't played properly in years, but hungover, terrible round. Will need a better excuse next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭a post punk

Great line up Benny best of luck for 2019!! Delighted to see Dooks up there ( my personal favourite course ) haven’t played the European before but well worth the trip I’m told :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

WOuld love to try get in for the lot but I am in college till May finishing a masters with one lecture a week on a Saturday but European and Portmarnock might be enough of a reason to sneak a day off

Actually playing an open in Portmarnock on 25th

Any thoughts of doing a warm up comp in Jan again? The Dubs V Non Dubs in the rain this year was great fun.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts of doing a warm up comp in Jan again? The Dubs V Non Dubs in the rain this year was great fun.

We decided against it this year with the cost of outings going up, the weather and it being just after Christmas. Quality over Quantity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

benny79 wrote: »
    We decided against it this year with the cost of outings going up, the weather and it being just after Christmas. Quality over Quantity ;)

+dubs getting tired of winning it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Seve OB wrote: »
    Good luck captain, I guess this is where you grab the reigns and take over. It's clear to see you are trying to build the numbers so hopefully the great list of courses will entice a few new guys to join and a few old regulars to return.

I'm just surprised that you haven't included St. Andrews as the second outing :) ... You, me, a couple of other Dubs and a few of your Cork mates heading over in early March is a testament as to how the society has bonded over the years and how good a bunch of lads we are and mates we gave become...... Maybe we should stick up a thread for that actually, generate a bit if interest and show the others who are on the fence what they are missing out on.

Anyway, lads and lassies, I manage Teamer which we use to organise the outings. We have lots of people in there who have never even shown up to an outing. I will be conducting a cull in the coming weeks so if you are on it and not a regular attendee, let me know if you want to stay on it.

If you are new here, interested in joining up, drop me a pm with your name, email, phone number, handicap and club. No biggie if you don't have a club or handicap, we will sort you out. Beginners, improvers, pros...... All welcome.

Can I tentatively register an interest without officially joining yet?

Can I tentatively register an interest without officially joining yet?

Of course. Anyone can.
    Just send me your info and I will set you up on teamer.
    Then teamer will notify you of upcoming events, you can accept or decline.
    Only need to pay up at each outing.
    You don't have to join as a member of the society either. You can come along as a visitor, get a feel for the group etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

best of luck for the year, looks to be a good list of courses. Dooks is especially interesting!

benny79 wrote: »

Ah understood. I was thinking of it as more of an optional for fun and the hardcore year round players, especially if it doesn't count for anything but bragging rights but either way looking forward to the year.

Had a round at Royal Tara this past weekend for 10ish euro, and even though I lost several balls to giant piles of leaves on the course it was a really enjoyable round. I guess I just like being out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hi guys, brand new here only 2 years trying to set up account .I think I suffer from techslexyia lol. Met el capitano today Benny 79 through work and hey presto ..Anyway can I have a spot in your what looks like brill society

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Hi guys, brand new here only 2 years trying to set up account .I think I suffer from techslexyia lol. Met el capitano today Benny 79 through work and hey presto ..Anyway can I have a spot in your what looks like brill society

nice one golfed
    drop me a pm with your name, email, mobile, handicap and club if you are in one and i'll get you set up

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seve OB wrote: »
    nice one golfed
    drop me a pm with your name, email, mobile, handicap and club if you are in one and i'll get you set up

How do I do a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    How do I do a pm

Click on SeveOB on his last post & it should bring up a menu. Then select Send a PM to SeveOB

Advertisement