Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Kutebride wrote: »
    Grinning at the end of the BBC week ahead forecast.........possibility as we go in to the week ahead we could see some Winteree-ness:D

I'd only grin at that if you live in the UK;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You have to go to Egypt to get temperatures as high as Ireland currently!

it's been similar situation for the past 6 weeks. Ireland is out on it's own with mostly yellow profile colours since last November, while the rest of Europe and even north Africa is under green's and blues. The UK has had a mild enough winter so far but even they have been generally several degree's colder than Ireland for the majority of the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is this not a peculiar all be it benign weather event in its own right then? Was 11 degrees while I drove to work at 7 this morning. This weather suits me just fine.

I don't think the mild weather itself is unusual for Ireland during the winter season. However, what is unusual about it, is that the rest of Europe including traditionally very mild areas like southern parts of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece have generally been colder than Ireland too, especially at night.

It has been an exceptionally mild winter so far, we are almost at the half way point and some areas have yet to experience a frost, nowhere apart from mountain tops have experienced any sleet or snow. We haven't even had a proper cold day or night this winter and that's a bit unusual as we enter the second week of January.

There are signals that things may cool down into the second half of January so perhaps some areas may see a frost or a wintry shower before February.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s great. The first winter I’ve never had to cover any plants or trees with fleece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    It’s great. The first winter I’ve never had to cover any plants or trees with fleece.

......Not yet anyway. There's still nearly 8 weeks of official winter to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im not lying

Right

Ready?

The sun is out in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The GFS para - or FV3 - has gone for a cold outlook in the long-term this morning. If we are to get cold, and a big IF, it looks like it is going to follow on after a period of cool northwesterlies after which some models are sniffing about high pressure to Iceland/Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sun is out here now; wind dropped and all quiet. Was talking to my neighbour after the break and he waxed lyrical re the weather over the holidays. It will set farmers up for any bad weather later. A real Christmas rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Brightening up now in Castlebar after a very wet and dull morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Kutebride

sideswipe wrote: »
    I'd only grin at that if you live in the UK;)

Indeed grinning at the word the presenter used.
    UK have brighter days in their forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pretty bad weather in Europe right now

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46780856

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wtf the sky has turned blue here. What's wrong? There must be something wrong lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I SEE A BLUE SKY. I SEE A BLUE SKY.

*** runs around room excitedly ***

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

I was awoken by the sound of lawnmowers this morning, which was confusing enough but then when I later stepped outside and was greeted by that sweet smell of fresh cut grass and 12C ....... I didn't know where or when I was....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What is the story with the yellow weather warning on the met eireann mobile app it's dated for 8 November 2018

no sun here today, skies cleared too late for the sun to shine, but at least skies have cleared for a little bit.

looks like the split of the polar vortex happened yesterday, the zonal winds are in reverse way high up, so there is still time for a decent response of the SSW to take place.

Perhaps a bit more patience is needed for us to see a response with blocked conditions, however we are not guaranteed a response that will suit us, so the waiting game continues.

There is definitely a trend for colder conditions into the second half of January with more unsettled conditions, with hints of much colder conditions into the last week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

180 years last night since Night of the Big Wind.

Anyone remember the Ninja snow in Dublin 25 years ago yesterday? 6th January 1994 morning snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

180 years last night since Night of the Big Wind.

Anyone remember the Ninja snow in Dublin 25 years ago yesterday? 6th January 1994 morning snowfall.

Did a tweet on it yesterday. Was a bit too busy to really do a post on it in the stats thread.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1081923114559291394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

ZX7R wrote: »
    What is the story with the yellow weather warning on the met eireann mobile app it's dated for 8 November 2018

Seen that too! Nothing else mentioned on site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

1994 would turn cold, in a biting easterly, around Valentine's Day with snowfall over much of Ireland. There was also snowfall in the east during daytime 23 February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    no sun here today, skies cleared too late for the sun to shine, but at least skies have cleared for a little bit.

looks like the split of the polar vortex happened yesterday, the zonal winds are in reverse way high up, so there is still time for a decent response of the SSW to take place.

Perhaps a bit more patience is needed for us to see a response with blocked conditions, however we are not guaranteed a response that will suit us, so the waiting game continues.

There is definitely a trend for colder conditions into the second half of January with more unsettled conditions, with hints of much colder conditions into the last week of January.

Agreed Gonzo. Today is only the 7th of January. However the carry on over on Netweather UK re the delay in real cold, is outrageous!! They want their snow and they want it now!! The effects of the recent SSWA will take a bit of time......I also agree with you that after a very mild period, things are definitely trending cooler now.

I'm also encouraged by the posts of Roger J Smith on NW UK (yes our very own MT) who to the best of my knowledge, thinks the cold will eventually win out........

Patience yougng Jedis!!

D

Whilst on the topic of 1994,

A cold February is favoured using historical data back to 1975 and the factors Matt mentions here.

He also goes onto say: "1994 is an interesting case study. Weak polar vortex conditions in early Jan 1994 (not recognised in many studies as an official SSW event) were then followed by a January pattern quite akin to forecasts for Jan 2019. Then Feb 1994 became cold and blocked with some #uksnow."

As Defaulter1831 mentioned, yes Ireland had some outbreaks of snow and wintry showers too and February 1994 was a cold month.

https://twitter.com/supercell_1996/status/1082318178057891840

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pretty harsh conditions at the moment lol!

Screenshot-20190107-211550.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's a pretty common error

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Pretty harsh conditions at the moment lol!

Screenshot-20190107-211550.png

Where is south gate anyhows

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ZX7R wrote: »
    Where is south gate anyhows

I think it's just the name that the location provider (Google maps?) gives to the area by South Main street.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think it's just the name that the location provider (Google maps?) gives to the area by South Main street.

Ok thank you

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Slightly related, what's the longest ever run of consecutive days without sun? Any station, any time of the year.

Not quite sure on giving the exact answer to that as there is limited sunshine data on Irish stations in the historical database currently. For Cork Airport, these are the longest periods of consecutive dull days I can find back to Nov 1994. I will look at more years other days.

12 to 19 Dec 2015 (8 days)
    3 to 8 Feb 2012 (6 days)
    21 to 26 Dec 2000 (6 days)
    6 to 16 Jan 1997 (11 days)
    6 to 12 Dec 1996 (7 days)
    28 Dec 1995 to 3 Jan 1996 (7 days)
    21 to 26 Nov 1994 (6 days)

Up to 7th January, the spell is still going for Cork Airport by the way at 16 consecutive dull days now.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Wikepedia wrote:
    Stratospheric meteorologists typically classify vortex breakdown into three categories: major, minor, and final.

What is this SSW? or is it unknown at this time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Where's the ramping, lads?

Advertisement