Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Scanned here a few weeks ago alot of cows held to ai , young herd seem to exceptional fertility only 13 % outside of first 6 weeks . Have 2 12 year old cows which have held to fresh sexed semen . Heifers nearly 70% have held to sexed seamen off a cider program. Bulls still running with the cows hoping to get down to 2/3 % empty and sell on the summer Calvers before dry off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Direct drilling grass seed in say early sept, I remember afew yrs ago it was very hit and miss this time of the year, has it become more reliable? Or am I better off afew runs of the disc harrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Direct drilling grass seed in say early sept, I remember afew yrs ago it was very hit and miss this time of the year, has it become more reliable? Or am I better off afew runs of the disc harrow?

Depends on the year really

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

50% of my autumn calving heifers calved today. I only have 2 :) a one ball Hereford had the rest of them in calf before they should have been

• Advertisement

I used to do it in late September after I cut my triticale and lupins. Worked ok for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Depends on the year really

Why?

Why?

If really dry then the slugs may look for refuge in the slot and follow it up and devour the seeds. Slug pellets aren't as good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

So a bit behind good grass silage. With the added kicker of a bunch of extra N masquerading as protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭jaymla627

So a bit behind good grass silage. With the added kicker of a bunch of extra N masquerading as protein.

You’d have to laugh at the new measures re protein in meal levels for derogation farms, when for a good portion of the year the grass their eating is testing like the above

• Advertisement

Looking at the DM% there, I'd say the grass is under a bit of pressure from the weather.

We used a 16% DM yesterday and it probably was even a bit higher than that so I wouldn't take that result as gospel for grass analysis for this time of the year but probably not far off what a lot of lads on heavy ground have to deal with atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Looking at the DM% there, I'd say the grass is under a bit of pressure from the weather.

We used a 16% DM yesterday and it probably was even a bit higher than that so I wouldn't take that result as gospel for grass analysis for this time of the year but probably not far off what a lot of lads on heavy ground have to deal with atm?

Did ye check the DM or estimate? I think from now on it's lower than what you'd think.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did ye check the DM or estimate? I think from now on it's lower than what you'd think.

No, we didn't do a check. It had rained earlier in the morning so the DM would be a bit lower than what we were looking at but the grass was only slightly damp at the base. And ground wasn't being marked at all round here yet.

I'm only a short distance from the farm and we're both finding trouble getting cattle to clean out in the allocated time, there's definitely more grass in the paddocks than a 16% DM would suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

You wouldn't be able to feed cows solely on the type of grass silage you're talking about unless you were in an indoor system like the north or uk

You wouldn't be able to feed cows solely on the type of grass silage you're talking about unless you were in an indoor system like the north or uk

How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

2 high cell count cows for the factory tomorrow and 1 landed to the parlour missing a tag tonight. Any point turning up with her tomorrow?

Signpost wrote: »
    2 high cell count cows for the factory tomorrow and 1 landed to the parlour missing a tag tonight. Any point turning up with her tomorrow?

Will be ok with 1 tag

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will be ok with 1 tag

O thank god, bad enough milking them without having to dump it ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How do you mean?

No real point in your comparison of high quality grass silage vs grazed grass now unless you had them indoors full time on that type of silage.
    What's the trade off then with what you'll gain vs costs of making that silage and extra costs of having cows indoors

No real point in your comparison of high quality grass silage vs grazed grass now unless you had them indoors full time on that type of silage.
    What's the trade off then with what you'll gain vs costs of making that silage and extra costs of having cows indoors

In my case they've been on it for 6 weeks at this stage. Generally around 25% of forage intake over that period. Yields would have collapsed without it or a similar quality replacement. Just coming back to a slight surplus in gr this week. Less than 50 units of N per cut. Generally around €80 per acre harvesting charge incl tedding. The trade off is that there is no push on us to put cows out in spring or backend if conditions aren't right. Actually hard to maintain yields in early part of the spring when they are out because there's better quality feed available indoors. Imo there's no upside to making poorer quality silage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Anyone else seeing a poor response to KAN+S? I've paddocks grazed over 3 weeks ago, fertilized with 25 units about 18 days ago and there's hardly a cover of 500 in between the dungpads and the grass is gone yellow looking. It's what I'd expect to see if I put out no fertilizer.
    Luckily this ground isn't needed for grazing this time round as the first cut ground has taken its place in the rotation
    Well at least it's not just me.....some consolation I suppose
    https://twitter.com/NeilOSuileabhai/status/1164439358734295046?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What is this kan and Gen 38n nitrogen .The grass looks pretty perished anyway .When all is said and done there is no getting away from the good results of spreading pasture sward .Even this year when growth was reasonable i had only average growth from spreading can and urea at various stages of year

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Just on fert it looks like urea/nitr is going to come down in price, any thoughts.Think this was year for buy as you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

cute geoge wrote: »
    What is this kan and Gen 38n nitrogen .The grass looks pretty perished anyway .When all is said and done there is no getting away from the good results of spreading pasture sward .Even this year when growth was reasonable i had only average growth from spreading can and urea at various stages of year

I agree on the KaN. I found the Grassland Agro protected Urea far superior

Does lime application affect protected urea in the same way it does regular urea?

Does anyone have either of these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have either of these ?

No but was on a farm lately with easy fix mattress. Was very impressed. He had the plastic/rubber cubicle as well. Bigger cows then mine but was a super comfy set up for cows.
    I have mayo mats. In ten years. I think they are gone hard and aren't as comfortable as they used to be.

55 acres knocked, 40 for pit if it will fit and 15 for bales. Sick and tire of waiting for weather so chanced it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭jaymla627

visatorro wrote: »
    No but was on a farm lately with easy fix mattress. Was very impressed. He had the plastic/rubber cubicle as well. Bigger cows then mine but was a super comfy set up for cows.
    I have mayo mats. In ten years. I think they are gone hard and aren't as comfortable as they used to be.

Their the only job, some price though ole chap had a meltdown when he spotted the invoice for them when they where put in here, after the cows done the winter in the shed with them he said it was money well spent

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    55 acres knocked, 40 for pit if it will fit and 15 for bales. Sick and tire of waiting for weather so chanced it away.

Going cutting tomorrow myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement