Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Nothing at all. I was surprised at this. Box on front had address pal label stating nest hello and value usd of 229. Postman left with neighbours.. I'm sure they would have said if money was asked of them

I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve got one here but I’m struggling to find chimes and transformers suitable. I found plug based transformers listed for the ring pro which should work but the chime is the next concern.

Any tips would be appreciated on what you’re planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

cance wrote: »
    Nothing at all. I was surprised at this. Box on front had address pal label stating nest hello and value usd of 229. Postman left with neighbours.. I'm sure they would have said if money was asked of them

I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve got one here but I’m struggling to find chimes and transformers suitable. I found plug based transformers listed for the ring pro which should work but the chime is the next concern.

We have an existing wired chime that im hoping to use. I'm trying to get in touch with our electrician re install but he must be on holidays. I'm hoping the transformer I got will do - I haven't found one anywhere that's 16 or 24v with 10VA. The highest I've found is 8VA but then I think the one I got at the weekend will probably work. Worse case scenario the hello won't have enough power and will function as a normal bell until I can get a suitable transformer. I've seen posts saying the Ring pro transformer works with the Nest hello but I cant' see anyone selling it separately. The hello works with voltage from 16 to 24v so im hoping feeding it 24v will be enough.. I don't know enough about voltage amperes to comment.. I'll let you know if I find my electrician. If I don't get fitted this week it will probably be week after next as away all next week myself

Can you post link for the transformers you've found? - btw I emailed Nest support with transformer details I have asking if it would work., They replied saying that cause the product isn't released in Europe they don't know

copacetic wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 10VA spec is important? I might order the one in the first link from amazon.. its 24v 10va

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Does anyone know if the 10VA spec is important? I might order the one in the first link from amazon.. its 24v 10va

It’s hard to know, they may have given themselves some leeway on the power requirements but you couldn’t really guess how much, 8VA up may mostly work, but might not be as reliable for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Interested to hear how your installations go. I've an 8VA transformer that Nest suggest will require a professional installation. When I reran the test on Nest's site suggesting I'd a 10VA transformer it returned the installation guides. Maybe this is the sweet spot?

Tazium wrote: »
    Interested to hear how your installations go. I've an 8VA transformer that Nest suggest will require a professional installation. When I reran the test on Nest's site suggesting I'd a 10VA transformer it returned the installation guides. Maybe this is the sweet spot?

I ordered the 10va transformer from above link. Install scheduled for later next week or early following

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PSS10-Transformer-safety-230VAC-Mounting/dp/B01MDJWFB7/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522838061&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=24v+bell+transformer+10VA

Delays are klilling me! Gone ahead and ordered one myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does anyone know when Nest will offer these in Ireland officially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Does anyone know when Nest will offer these in Ireland officially?
    this is what you get if you ask ;)

Thank you for contacting Nest Support, my name is xxxxxxx and I will be assisting you today.

I am sorry but we do not have an accurate date for release for the Nest Hello! However, it is due for release this year. It has just been released in America and we are due for release next.

We would not recommend products that are purchased in America to be used in the UK, reasons being is that wiring and voltage requirements may differ which could affect the warranty of the product.

What I can recommend to do is to sign up for our Keep Me Posted notifications, with these email alerts you will receive a notification once a date has been announced. I have included the link below

Keep Me Posted

Again, apologies we do not have a more accurate date for release.

If you'd like to check out additional resources, feel free to visit nest.com/support. Or if you need more help with this case, visit nest.com/help. When you contact us, refer to case number xxxxxxx.

Hope you have a lovely day,

- xxxxxxxxx. | Nest Support

I got mine installed during the week, my sparks did my doorbell and 3 stats together.

It’s not great news lads. The latency to and from the camera means there’s a visible 10-20 seconds before you get notified or can interact with the person. I assume this is due to them using American cloud compute.

The AP is a Ubnt pro and is 2 foot away, so it’s not the wifi and I have a reliable 35mb upstream.

I got mine installed during the week, my sparks did my doorbell and 3 stats together.

It’s not great news lads. The latency to and from the camera means there’s a visible 10-20 seconds before you get notified or can interact with the person. I assume this is due to them using American cloud compute.

The AP is a Ubnt pro and is 2 foot away, so it’s not the wifi and I have a reliable 35mb upstream.

I assume its capturing video stream live?

Some of early reviews in the states say the same, instant mechanical chime, without the ring type delay. Quick google home announcements, slow phone notifications.

Eg https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/comments/89hxvd/nest_hello_latencydelay_between_button_press_and/

copacetic wrote: »
    Some of early reviews in the states say the same, instant mechanical chime, without the ring type delay. Quick google home announcements, slow phone notifications.

Eg https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/comments/89hxvd/nest_hello_latencydelay_between_button_press_and/

I'd be ok with that...

I assume its capturing video stream live?

the video goes via the Ring servers / cloud for facial recognition. Direct connectivity via IP is not possible with the camera. It's extremely slow today but i'd imagine a european region will be added.

Google home notifications are not possible today as the app is not available on the irish app store.

So it's a mechanical chime or miss the people at the door.

Further to this, there's no IFTTT support for the Hello today. I'd have liked if i could get my thermostats or smoke / co2 sensors to chime for the door bell but no such luck.

I'm awaiting a sparks today to see if he can wire a chime. Will update later.

the video goes via the Ring servers / cloud for facial recognition. Direct connectivity via IP is not possible with the camera. It's extremely slow today but i'd imagine a european region will be added.

Google home notifications are not possible today as the app is not available on the irish app store.

So it's a mechanical chime or miss the people at the door.

Ring or Google servers?

Ring or Google servers?

Nest / google. Sorry for the confusion.

Nest / google. Sorry for the confusion.

Any joy with the door chime? I wonder would it make any difference to the lag?
    Waiting for my electrician to fit mine. Already have wired chime so interested to get on with it now.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Any joy with the door chime? I wonder would it make any difference to the lag?
    Waiting for my electrician to fit mine. Already have wired chime so interested to get on with it now.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Actually yes, he wired in a Byron cheap yoke from woodies and bobs your uncle.

https://www.woodies.ie/diy/doors-and-door-accessories/door-bells-and-chimes/byron-wired-wall-mounted-door-chime-battery-transformer-771-1119991

Your mileage may vary but it’s working great here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

What's the verdict on this guys? Wait until it's released here?

Actually yes, he wired in a Byron cheap yoke from woodies and bobs your uncle.

https://www.woodies.ie/diy/doors-and-door-accessories/door-bells-and-chimes/byron-wired-wall-mounted-door-chime-battery-transformer-771-1119991

Your mileage may vary but it’s working great here.

Cool lag gone?

Cool lag gone?

Had electrician call around this evening. He doesn't know if the chime will support 24v?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Had electrician call around this evening. He doesn't know if the chime will support 24v?

I have Ring Doorbell Pro using a 24V transformer and it hasn’t blown the chime yet. Installed since last July.

I have Ring Doorbell Pro using a 24V transformer and it hasn’t blown the chime yet. Installed since last July.

Thanks,
    Just had the nest hello installed. Pretty straight forward. The only slightly odd thing is if you ring the doorbell our indoor chime sounds and it's announced on Google home that someone is at the door. I get the notification on the app straight away someone is at the door but if you press the bell straight away again the door chime doesn't ring. There is about a 20 second delay before pressing the button will sound the chime. Maybe this is by design? It will stop those people ringing and ringing the bell over and over.

Thanks,
    Just had the nest hello installed. Pretty straight forward. The only slightly odd thing is if you ring the doorbell our indoor chime sounds and it's announced on Google home that someone is at the door. I get the notification on the app straight away someone is at the door but if you press the bell straight away again the door chime doesn't ring. There is about a 20 second delay before pressing the button will sound the chime. Maybe this is by design? It will stop those people ringing and ringing the bell over and over.

Have to say the video quality is excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Have to say the video quality is excellent..

Did you have to use the angle plate on the back of the Nest Hello?

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    Did you have to use the angle plate on the back of the Nest Hello?

R

Hi, no I didn't bother with the wedge as wanted the doorbell looking directly out from the wall.

• Advertisement

Hi, no I didn't bother with the wedge as wanted the doorbell looking directly out from the wall.

Screenshot from the nest app

Advertisement