Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New R&A Rules from 1/1/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Jeez i need to brush up on this new OB one. Our club ha been playing with the new rules for the last few weekends, lads putting from 2 feet with the flag in is wrecking me mallet, one lad was delighted with this new rule and then last week was saying in the clubhouse that the flag was bouncing his ball out. its just not right putting with the flag in on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

All these new rules were designed to improve pace of play. While putting the flag back in when you are 2 feet above the hole is not against the new rules, it is against the essence of the game. None of these new rules were designed to give players an advantage. If I saw someone put the flag back in the above situation I would mention to him that it is against the essence of the game as he is trying to gain an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

reax wrote: »
    All these new rules were designed to improve pace of play. While putting the flag back in when you are 2 feet above the hole is not against the new rules, it is against the essence of the game. None of these new rules were designed to give players an advantage. If I saw someone put the flag back in the above situation I would mention to him that it is against the essence of the game as he is trying to gain an advantage

Bryson De Chambeau is planning to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

The first line of the rule states "If a provisional ball has not been played"
    Why would you not play a provo if there was a risk of not finding your ball or OOB? This rule was brought in purely related to pace of play. It was never designed to be a get out jail card with only a 2 shot penalty.
    Anyway it appears to be a moot point with the rule only counting for casual play and not qualifying comps

If your ball crossed the OB a long way down towards the green, you might decide that dropping on the fairway there for 3 and playing your 4th is a better option than reloading on the tee.
    As opposed to if you shanked one OB just a few yards off the tee, you'd obviously reload as its probably a better option than hitting 4 from just in front of the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Says who ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't believe this is the case. As with current arrangements it is up to your playing partners, specifically the person marking your card, to agree with your assessment. If you hit the ball OOB you play 3 off the tee. If you THINK you hit the ball OOB you play 3 off the tee. It's only if you genuinely think that you're in bounds and will find your ball that this rule will kick in. If I saw someone hit a ball OOB and proceeded to march up the fairway I would call him up on it!

LoL, if I hit a ball OOB and the rule is in play I will gladly keep moving and drop on the fairway or anywhere in the permitted zone I decide, don't know who you are that can read I need your permission from the new rules.
    Your belief is wrong, nothing says I need marker's permission and there is nothing in "current arrangements" saying I need my marker's permission on rules of golf.
    Remember this is for society and casual golf, not in handicap counting competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Russman wrote: »
    Says who ?
    The guy who sounds like he'd be great craic to play golf with. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Was thinking today about the new dropping procedure under the 2019 Rules. I think this will cause some issues for golfers. The reason being is that the ball must be dropped from knee height. If it is not dropped from knee height but rather the retired system of dropping from shoulder height, the ball must be re-dropped in the correct procedure. Failure to do so will result in a 1 stroke penalty. For golfers who have been dropping the ball from shoulder height for 34 years... this might be a difficult habit to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Was thinking today about the new dropping procedure under the 2019 Rules. I think this will cause some issues for golfers. The reason being is that the ball must be dropped from knee height. If it is not dropped from knee height but rather the retired system of dropping from shoulder height, the ball must be re-dropped in the correct procedure. Failure to do so will result in a 1 stroke penalty. For golfers who have been dropping the ball from shoulder height for 34 years... this might be a difficult habit to break.

Yea we were discussing it a few times.
    It is silly. Like there is no advantage of you drop it from higher. Some people, older guys, will and do have trouble bending down to drop it with dodgy knees etc.
    No reason not to allow it be dropped even from your hip.

Attended a rules seminar at Dun Laoghaire this evening and was happy to hear that both the GUI and ILGU are strongly opposed to the new local rule for alternative to stroke and distance option and are advising all clubs not to adopt it.

• Advertisement

Attended a rules seminar at Dun Laoghaire this evening and was happy to hear that both the GUI and ILGU are strongly opposed to the new local rule for alternative to stroke and distance option and are advising all clubs not to adopt it.

Good news but I would have thought that when CONGU said the use of this rule meant non-qualifying then that was the nail in the coffin.

Great for casual and society golf IMHO but as mentioned before this is widely used in qualifying rounds in the states so it's more US centric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

slave1 wrote: »
    Good news but I would have thought that when CONGU said the use of this rule meant non-qualifying then that was the nail in the coffin.

Great for casual and society golf IMHO but as mentioned before this is widely used in qualifying rounds in the states so it's more US centric
    One problem I see is society players sometimes enter an open if it's on the same day. If they bring in a good score I'm sure they won't be asked what set of rules they were playing by. Personally not a fan of that rule golf is deteriorating as a skilled sport. What's next drop on the green for 6.

One problem I see is society players sometimes enter an open if it's on the same day. If they bring in a good score I'm sure they won't be asked what set of rules they were playing by. Personally not a fan of that rule golf is deteriorating as a skilled sport. What's next drop on the green for 6.

They can still hit 3 off the 3 in the society if they have entered the open comp.

I don't see anything in this local rule that says you must drop and there is nothing to say you can't play 3 off the tee.

We don't allow this in our society, in societies there can be + or - adjustments to GUI handicaps so we do not allow messing the pace of play up with guys on greens thinking do they have an extra shot here in the open or any of that (if you catch my drift)...plus the open could be off different tees and we don#t want lads playing off different tees for different comps on the same day, again it slows the game down.
    One competition at a time is plenty IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

I'm open to correction, but I thought you could not play in two competitions at the same time. ie a single round can't count in two separate competitions.
    Or is that just match play during a stroke play event?

jimjim12 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I thought you could not play in two competitions at the same time. ie a single round can't count in two separate competitions.
    Or is that just match play during a stroke play event?

I think that is for qualifying comps.

do you have comps amongst your weekly t ball for the front back and overall? friendly comps of course.... society golf is friendly.

no issues here to worry about

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think that is for qualifying comps.

do you have comps amongst your weekly t ball for the front back and overall? friendly comps of course.... society golf is friendly.

no issues here to worry about

Yeah plenty of society's and clubs allow it, right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

Leaving the flag in when putting did Bryson DeChambeau no harm yesterday

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1081023249641684992

paulos53 wrote: »

So many people coming out and saying it is an advantage to leave the flag in but yet so few of them doing it. It will take a long time.

Playing in a comp at my own club the other day, playing partners were adamant they wanted the flag out. I would prefer to leave it in but I'm not that fussed either way as it is just winter golf so I left it out. That might change in a few months when proper golf starts. For years when I'm out practicing, I have putted with the flag in so I know it can be an advantage.

Ah I don't know.
    I think I'd rather it out. But I will be putting with it in if I have a long putt and I am waiting on someone to get to it.

For me it's about speeding the game up,

I don't see any advantage of putting with it in
    Actually if you look at all deshambles putts there, they all would have dropped comfortably without the flag..... Actually one or 2 of them could quite easily have popped back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

paulos53 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1081023249641684992

It literally would’ve had no impact in or out there anyway.

What about people putting on hidden greens hypothetically? 17th green in Cahir I’m thinking. It’s a blind shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah I don't know.
    I think I'd rather it out. But I will be putting with it in if I have a long putt and I am waiting on someone to get to it.

For me it's about speeding the game up,

I don't see any advantage of putting with it in
    Actually if you look at all deshambles putts there, they all would have dropped comfortably without the flag..... Actually one or 2 of them could quite easily have popped back out.

I think I remember having read years ago, possibly in the Dave Pelz bible, that leaving the flag in gives a slight edge percentage wise. But that was for chipping from the fringe not sure putting would have the same stats.

I agree with using it for really long putts to save time with flag attendance. And I think that's what the idea is too. But on normal putts it would worry me that something a little too pacy might deflect off the flagstick. I fear it might affect my putting pace. I think I'll keep taking it out for anything but the real long ones for now but will remain open minded.

Just another point on putting with the flag still in... the ball is deemed to be holed if "any part of the ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green".

So the ball doesn't have to drop to the bottom of the cup and nor do you have to remove the flag to make it drop. That is sure to gather some strange looks from playing partners not aware of the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Just another point on putting with the flag still in... the ball is deemed to be holed if "any part of the ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green".

So the ball doesn't have to drop to the bottom of the cup and nor do you have to remove the flag to make it drop. That is sure to gather some strange looks from playing partners not aware of the rule.

Correct, it’s from his short game bible - he made his career collecting stats in the early years

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Did the new drop today - felt like a virgin - that is going to be fun and I'd say changed.

Here is a video - I'm sure there is better videos ?

Grounding club in a hazard/penalty area sounds crazy

Looking at a few of them there.

A few clowns are going to use these to their advantage - the pick up your ball to identify and place is one.

40 seconds will be a test for some lads I even play with.

3 mins is very short and in some case will result in slower play as - less balls will be found.

A few clowns are going to use these to their advantage - the pick up your ball to identify and place is one.

3 mins is very short and in some case will result in slower play as - less balls will be found.

Its amazing the people who assume the new rules, one guy plugged a ball in a water Hazard and thought he could pick it up and clean it then place it. The obb rule is assumed also lads think the can drop it on the fairway. I guess it will take a while to get to know the new rules.

40 seconds is not a rule, just a guide

• Advertisement

Its amazing the people who assume the new rules, one guy plugged a ball in a water Hazard and thought he could pick it up and clean it then place it. The obb rule is assumed also lads think the can drop it on the fairway. I guess it will take a while to get to know the new rules.

oob rule must be a local rule and can't be in counting comps.

and if in use... you can drop on fairway

Advertisement