Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options
  • 31-08-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know an insurance company that offers combined travel and car hire excess cover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

HI,
    Where rent car in Faro and what is the limit for cigarettes which you can bring to Ireland from Portugal legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

Don't know about car hire, but it's 800 cigarettes, once they are for personal use, and you retain receipts for proof of tax and duty being paid.

I dont know why i thought its only 200 cigarettes.

thats fine im going to stick the 800 cig. Thanks for help.
    Now anyone can recommend any car hire company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

No recommendation just a warning not to use Goldcar in Faro. We had the misfortune of using them last June. 2 hour wait in line (no exaggeration!) to be served.
    Every person who was ahead of us had a problem with them, and showing them printouts of the hire agreement that people had bought made no odds.

I think somewhere else on the travel thread there are other reports from people who dealt with Goldcar.

Enjoy your trip, bet you wish you were there now to escape this weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 drive.it

drive 4 fun rental company are a pleasure to deal with. rented from them the last 4 times I was over there and i never had an issue. normally cheaper than other companies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

we hire a car every year in portugal so try these 2....

http://www.economycarhire.com/

or if you ring zitauto on 00351 289 315559, we find they are usually the cheapest.

Yes i heard bad opinion about Goldcar probably will try zitocar or drive4fun. Im going from 19 april till 29.
    Thanks for help.

Layinghen wrote: »
    No recommendation just a warning not to use Goldcar in Faro. We had the misfortune of using them last June. 2 hour wait in line (no exaggeration!) to be served.
    Every person who was ahead of us had a problem with them, and showing them printouts of the hire agreement that people had bought made no odds.

I think somewhere else on the travel thread there are other reports from people who dealt with Goldcar.

Enjoy your trip, bet you wish you were there now to escape this weather!

If you're driving around the Algarve, watch out for the tolls on the A22.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

devil-80 wrote: »
    I dont know why i thought its only 200 cigarettes.

200 Cigarettes from outside the European Union, the Spanish Canary Islands are part of Spain but not part of the European Union so the 200 cigarettes limit apply to them also. Many people get caught out bringing back lots of cigarettes from the canaries this way.

800 Cigarettes are from the EU and they must all be the same brand as otherwise you'd be suspected of smuggling tobacco for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Carnage will ensue so, if they hire much fewer temps. Overtime rates are cut a fair bit for TCOs too so I can't see too many being keen to do overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

?Cee?view wrote: »
    They can plan ahead and staff appropriately. They know there will be a rush every year. There's no point blaming people for causing the rush.

Although presumably this is a rhetorical question, I would suggest that October to March is not summer holiday season.

Have a glance back over this thread. Not all cases are people who simply forgot. Many are genuine and are being unnecessarily frustrated by a process which clearly needs to be engineered and which is staffed by people who clearly can't cope under the current process.

They do plan ahead by hiring temporary staff.

I fully understand that there can be genuine cases and they are 99% of the time accommodated.

What I can't understand is the number of people willing to shell out a lot of money on a holiday and not be sure they have the 1 document they actually require to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I’m going to Barcelona in October. I’m finding Ryanairflights for half the price of aerlingus (with 20 kg bags), Ryanair fly into ElPrat, 12 km outside of Barca which is fine. But I can’t seem to be able to finda car hire company in El Part airport – all the car rental sites and comparisonsites are showing only the main Barcelona airport for car hire. Anyone fly intoEl Prat? Did you hire a car? If Yes, which company?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

El Prat is the main Barcelona Airport.

You're right - it is the main airport, just googled it - Thank you! I presumed it was an out of town airport with Ryanair using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

looking to hire car there myself in oct, heard firefly to be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Definitely avoid Goldcar there as well. Have used them and found that the price you paid online is only the starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We flew into Barcelona via El Prat 2 weeks ago(with Ryanair, so cheap!) We didn't rent a car but used the aerobus which leaves the airport every few minutes and dropped us directly to Placa de Catalunya in 20 minutes. Its €5.90 per person.

We were staying in a hotel off La Ramblas so we didn't need to rent a car. We did go on the hop on hop off bus tour which was great. Enjoy your trip! I would love to be going back there.

Thanks for the car hire tips - much apprecaited.

we're staying 1 hour north of Barca in a rural area for the week hence we need a car.

anyone used 'Record' to hire a car in Spain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

michellie wrote: »
    We flew into Barcelona via El Prat 2 weeks ago(with Ryanair, so cheap!) We didn't rent a car but used the aerobus which leaves the airport every few minutes and dropped us directly to Placa de Catalunya in 20 minutes. Its €5.90 per person.

€5.90 is actually quite pricey for that journey. Barcelona's metro is really cheap. You can get a turista 10/T10 (10 journey train/metro ticket) for €10.30 which is valid within the city zone, which is most of Barcelona and includes the airport. The airport train is every 30 mins into Sants, Catalunya and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Gatica wrote: »
    For purposes of ID it should work. If you want to hire a car, then this is not the thread...

No, it's for Aer Lingus to the UK. When they licence, do they also mean learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

yenom wrote: »
    No, it's for Aer Lingus to the UK. When they licence, do they also mean learner permit?

You mean do they accept it as ID for the flight? I would imagine so, you need as much documentation to get it as a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Hi there, Anyone here with any experience, good or bad, with EasyTerra Car Rental company.

I'm looking to hire a car at Rodez airport in July/August. They're over €100 cheaper than any other sites I've looked at for our holiday using Europcar.

However, I checked the Europcar website directly. It says on their website that they're not open at the time our flight arrives!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Hi there,

Anyone here got any experience of hiring a car at Rodez airport? I'm hoping to fly there in August arriving on a Saturday with Ryanair, the flight arrives around 1:30pm.

From what I can see online ALL the car hire companies there close at 12 noon. Some it says open again at 5:30pm. Waiting around for 4 hours is not an option. This seems strange as I think Ryanair are by far the biggest operator there.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hi guys, looking for suggestions as to where's best to rent a car in Faro in July, used Goldcar before and found them ok, anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

After doing a good bit of research on this myself and had a thread here a couple of months ago.

I have booked an estate car with drive4fun.

Its costing 250 for 10 days, insurance included with no excess and including tyre, lock and glass cover and a transponder with 15 euro credit for the motorway and also including the 15 euro airport tax.

You email them from their website and they get back to you with the price and options.

They are located outside the terminal in carpark 4 so you do not need to get a shuttle either.

From reading all I can about it on tripadvisor etc it seemed the best option for me at least.

http://www.drive4fun.info

I was going to book with sixt or one of the bigger companies but when you add on their excess insurance costs etc it makes it very expensive. Plus I wanted a slightly larger car because we will have a child's buggy and associated stuff :)

I don't want to have to worry about that kind of stuff on holiday or keep 1600 euro free on a credit card and then claim it back after if you have your own hire car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

Try a broker. Hamills rental in Mullingar always comes up top for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

we hire a car every year in portugal so try these 2....

http://www.economycarhire.com

or if you ring zitauto on 00351 289 315559, we find they are usually the cheapest plus no swipe of your visa card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I know this isn't what you have asked - but would you consider the public transport option instead of the car? Maybe you are travelling with children and it doesn't suit, but Portugal's transport system seems really great. I am going there this summer and I am going to stick to public transport, but then again there is just two of us, neither have reduced mobility etc. so it's a handy option

Advertisement