Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

In the swimming episode Eamonn mentions that water polo is one of the roughest sports. I looked up the wiki page and that's in the first paragraph! We know his sources! :D

Sounds like tesco recommended some guests. This is the second time I've heard a gueat with a tesco link. Not a bad guest either time but the tesco influence would get you wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In the swimming episode Eamonn mentions that water polo is one of the roughest sports. I looked up the wiki page and that's in the first paragraph! We know his sources! :D

Sounds like tesco recommended some guests. This is the second time I've heard a gueat with a tesco link. Not a bad guest either time but the tesco influence would get you wondering.

well to have good conversation you need good food from tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah the Tesco stuff was OTT but in fairness I thought Sarah Keane was a good guest and had something interesting to say about women in sport.

Generally the more different voices on the pod the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Only the finest food should go with the finest conversations. :D

I actually like a lot of Tesco's stuff. :o

terrydel wrote: »
    The review of Joe Schmidt's book with Neil Francis is great, they dont hold back.

Dunphy keeps going on about the reader handing over €25 out of their pocket.

Must have literally said it about 10 times in 35 minutes :p

Sounds like an absolute turd of a book in fairness. Schmidt didn't have the balls to put out the real story and emotions out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The review of Joe Schmidt's book with Neil Francis is great, they dont hold back.

Will listen.

JS has done some very watered down interviews so will be interesting to hear an adult review.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

glasso wrote: »

Sounds like an absolute turd of a book in fairness. Schmidt didn't have the balls to put out the real story and emotions out there.

And his obsession with the lack of an index was weird! Even Francis said he didn’t think it was a big deal

And his obsession with the lack of an index was weird! Even Francis said he didn’t think it was a big deal

I think that he was perhaps a tad bitter about JS not cutting an "old pro" in on the book deal!

Schmidt may be a decent coach but he's a fooking boring man and afraid to say anything.

Of course he has to think of his next job but contrast with Gatland who actually sounds like a human when he is being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

It was bizarre, but that's Dunphy trying to remind everyone that he is/was a serious author who writes books with indexes

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    It was bizarre, but that's Dunphy trying to remind everyone that he is/was a serious author who writes books with indexes

It was a bit of a rant and sure there was some self-interest in it but I do take his point about putting out a sh1t book for 25 squids that has absolutely nothing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

He really won’t be happy when he reads Richie Sadlier’s book if he looks up the index for his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He really won’t be happy when he reads Richie Sadlier’s book if he looks up the index for his name.

What did he say about him? Always knew there was animosity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

What episode is this? I cant find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

In fairness to Dunphy he is a good writer.

And with a sports book you really need an index- his point was that Penguin weren't even arsed to do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Still Ill wrote: »
    What did he say about him? Always knew there was animosity there.

I haven’t read it but just that Dunphy wouldn’t really speak to him and when they went for a smoke would not even stand beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

In fairness to Dunphy he is a good writer.

And with a sports book you really need an index- his point was that Penguin weren't even arsed to do one.

Seems bizarre that his column in The Star is ghost written in that case. He mentioned it on Second Captains before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I think the Joe Schmidt myth has been busted in many respects.
    Nothing more than the usual Irish rugby 'morketing' inspired by their media cheerleaders.
    He has an 'inspirational' quote at the start of each chapter, one is 'Who we are is how we play' a slogan from fecking vodafone. That truly is pathetic. There is no low Irish rugby won't stoop to in its self importance and superficiality.

PieOhMy wrote: »

Not sure, very recent.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Seems bizarre that his column in The Star is ghost written in that case. He mentioned it on Second Captains before.

probably just couldn't be arsed writing it and gets paid less as a result I suppose.

does a phonecall with some journo in there and job done!

• Advertisement

I think the Joe Schmidt myth has been busted in many respects.
    Nothing more than the usual Irish rugby 'morketing' inspired by their media cheerleaders.
    He has an 'inspirational' quote at the start of each chapter, one is 'Who we are is how we play' a slogan from fecking vodafone. That truly is pathetic. There is no low Irish rugby won't stoop to in its self importance and superficiality.

the book doesn't take away from the fact that he did get good good results with Ireland.

he certainly is not beyond criticism as some think either.

seems to me a sort of repressed type who hacked up a half-arsed effort because he didn't feel comfortable / brave enough to let out what he really thought.

I mean he rarely gave a straight answer in a press conference either

Gatland's book is probably a lot better / more interesting / revealing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1472252454?aaxitk=jP.ow1tG87FzLIi9h-G0PQ&pd_rd_i=1472252454&pf_rd_p=61123ba5-9314-4baa-bd6e-caa510bc4e08&hsa_cr_id=9356238060202&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Pride%20and%20Passion%3A%20My%20Autobiography

the book doesn't take away from the fact that he did get good good results with Ireland.

he certainly is not beyond criticism as some think either.

seems to me a sort of repressed type who hacked up a half-arsed effort because he didn't feel comfortable / brave enough to let out what he really thought.

I mean he rarely gave a straight answer in a press conference either

Gatland's book is probably a lot better / more interesting / revealing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1472252454?aaxitk=jP.ow1tG87FzLIi9h-G0PQ&pd_rd_i=1472252454&pf_rd_p=61123ba5-9314-4baa-bd6e-caa510bc4e08&hsa_cr_id=9356238060202&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Pride%20and%20Passion%3A%20My%20Autobiography

The book seems like a cynical cash grab, and tho I am in no way a fan of Irish rugby, I always found him to be a good, decent human being on the face of it, so this is surprising to be honest.

The book seems like a cynical cash grab, and tho I am in no way a fan of Irish rugby, I always found him to be a good, decent human being on the face of it, so this is surprising to be honest.

I personally don't think that it started out with a cynical thought (cash-grab) like that.

imo he wrote it himself but for whatever reason held back all the potentially interesting stuff.

(didn't want to put himself "out there" about what he really thought - strikes me as that sort of guy tbh, didn't want to offend people, in his own mind didn't want to maybe affect his chances of getting another job etc)

so you end up with a nothing book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I'd like to thank Eamo for saving me 25 quid

Cheers, will listen now. Too much toy show talk at work.

Cheers, will listen now. Too much toy show talk at work.

Are you a Sopranos fan?

Are you a Sopranos fan?

Yea love it! Does it come up?

No, your username name is the name of Tony Sopranos horse!

Eamo offered Joe an offer that he couldn't refuse but surprisingly he did!

• Advertisement

No, your username name is the name of Tony Sopranos horse!

Haha ya that's where I got it from you're right. Had my wires crossed there!

Just listened to the Ordinary Joe review there. Really enjoyed it, eamonn really did go to town on the index issue!

Advertisement