Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think - or rather, it had been reported - that that video was related to the Aquaman sequel; he did come out of what appeared to be the DC comics office.

... but if that's about Aquaman 2, then surely everyone "know's what's coming" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Bacchus wrote: »
    ... but if that's about Aquaman 2, then surely everyone "know's what's coming" :confused:

exactly...

maybe he's gonna appear in the Black Adam movie...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm disappointed that a professional who works in the industry is taking a portrait video.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wonder will they do the origin stories

Release Date: 20 November 2020

Dune Is Coming to Spice Up Thanksgiving 2020
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/dune-is-coming-to-spice-up-thanksgiving-2020-1832666112

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Slydice wrote: »
    Release Date: 20 November 2020

Dune Is Coming to Spice Up Thanksgiving 2020
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/dune-is-coming-to-spice-up-thanksgiving-2020-1832666112

Suddenly got this weird idea in my brain that the trailer will feature a Spice Girls remix... not the worst thought I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,428 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see it's now confirmed that Hans Zimmer is on board to soundtrack this now.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/18/hans-zimmer-will-score-legendarys-dune/

I really have high hopes for this adaptation and given how integral the Brian Eno prophecy theme and Toto's soundtrack were to the 84 adaptation I am hoping for something special.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It also started shooting today. I'm amazed and relived. I had serious doubts about whether this was ever going to happen. Now I can start doubting whether we'll ever get to see the second part.

Oh and it better be R-rated.

I'm a massive fan of Herbert's books, I really hope that they can take this reboot and build the movie it deserves.
    Granted that means that IMO the 1st book is a 2 movie arc or a 3hr marathon ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It also started shooting today. I'm amazed and relived. I had serious doubts about whether this was ever going to happen. Now I can start doubting whether we'll ever get to see the second part.

Same. Though I'd say any sequel is in the lap of the gods here. No more than Blade Runner 2049, this is not a franchise that lends itself to blockbuster thrills, yet SciFi - especially of the space opera variety - has pretty much gravitated towards this default. Dune might be easier to package to the layman as Game of Thrones in Space, than a popcorn laserfest.

Is there any rumblings on the budget for this? Might give some indication over just what direction the studio will demand.

• Advertisement

Hints at this:
    - being a Mega-Budget Film
    - possibly having a Sequel

Legendary Entertainment is the Production Company
    Joshua Grode is the CEO of Legendary Entertainment

Interview (mainly about other films) with Legendary CEO Joshua Grode
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/legendary-ceo-joshua-grode-pitting-pikachu-marvel-1203881
    What kinds of movies is Legendary hoping to make moving forward?
    We're making a diversified slate financially. We have some that are huge like Dune.

Will Dune be two movies?
    That's the plan. There's a backstory that was hinted at in some of the books [that we expanded]. Also, when you
    read the book there's a logical place to stop the movie before the book is over.

So, if it's like the
    Mini-Series, then I'd guess a position to stop would be with Jessica and Paul out in the desert just after the Harkonnen attack and takeover on Dune

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As time goes by, it increasingly confirms the decision to shoot all 3 Lord of the Rings films at once as a minor miracle. Maybe budgets are too high, executives too terrified of their tentative franchise not talking off, but there just doesn't seem to be the appetite to shoot these kind of adaptations in on go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the R-rating and length was the main reason for the split, esp after BR2049's box office underperformance. Otherwise I think they would have done it as a single 3 hour film.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dune doesn't have the following LOTR does, and can't (or shouldn't) have the same rating.

But you think surely the economies of scale would make it worth a punt for two movies, however, if they had real faith in the director.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This seems to be a drive-by interview, but then I am absurdly hopeful for this movie. (I must not hype. Hype is the mind-killer...)

"David Dastmalchian is reuniting with Villeneuve for a third time on "Dune" and says the movie will be true to the spirit of the source material."

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/denis-villeneuve-dune-movie-comparisons-frank-herbert-book-1202146915/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,894 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In my experience "true to the spirit" is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Ok, I’m gonna stick my head above the parapet here. I love science fiction (when it is done well, which isn’t that much in my book (boom)). But I’m not a traditionalist (maybe this isn't the correct descriptive word); just like I think the vast majority of these old classic movies are not 5 five star, but maybe 3 stars- they are of their time- I didn’t rate Dune the book very highly. I gave up after a 100 pages (I think this was about 2 years ago). I have read far better, and just because it’s such a classic, it wasn’t reason enough for me to continue.
    As I saw the Lynch film many years ago (which was laughably poor), I know how the plot develops. So, with this in mind, I think that in the right hands, this could be a film to get really excited about. Because Villenuve is set to direct, I’m really excited about seeing a potentially very intelligent film, set to a spectacular background.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The casting is so perfect too.
    I’m just curious how they can get the story on screen, even over two films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I read the original trilogy but I have always been more of a fan of Lynch's film

The first cracks appear? Apparently Villeneuve will direct the pilot of a spin off show already pencilled in, "Dune: The Sisterhood", which will follow the Bene Gesserit in the same universe. Supposedly there are also plans for video game adaptations too; suddenly I'm worried Warners are following the still foolish, modern trend of frontloading a shared universe before the first film has even finished filming. If this is looking for Endgame money it'll be sorely disappointed.

• Advertisement

A Bene Gesserit Spin-Off is Legit, a great idea!

Also.. calling it a Spin-Off is Legit, the best cover for setting up the background for a massive scale multi-film adaption of multiple books.

The first cracks appear? Apparently Villeneuve will direct the pilot of a spin off show already pencilled in, "Dune: The Sisterhood", which will follow the Bene Gesserit in the same universe. Supposedly there are also plans for video game adaptations too; suddenly I'm worried Warners are following the still foolish, modern trend of frontloading a shared universe before the first film has even finished filming. If this is looking for Endgame money it'll be sorely disappointed.

I have to say, I'm sick of this fucking shit myself. It's so, so, tiresome.

There doesn't need to be any "shared universe" with the likes of 'Dune'. Just adapt the books that are already written.

With something like this, you really have to go out of your way to fuck it up. You don't even have to sit down and write a story. It's already done. The hard part is complete.

Also, I can't imagine a spin off devoted to the Bene Gesserit to be that exciting a prospect. They're fine as a part of the over all story of 'Dune', but as a thing onto themselves, I can't see much of a draw there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it a full spin off series that tells a complete story I wonder, or will it be more like a 'chapter' web series using mostly cast and sets from the movie as a lead in to the series?

Kinda like the Blade Runner 2049 shorts which had episodes for 2022, 2036, 2048.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The snippets I read suggested it was possibly something for Warners own streaming service (truly the double whammy of the entertainment media zeitgeist: shared universe stories on a bespoke streaming service!)
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Also, I can't imagine a spin off devoted to the Bene Gesserit to be that exciting a prospect. They're fine as a part of the over all story of 'Dune', but as a thing onto themselves, I can't see much of a draw there.

Three words: 'Game of Thrones'; through a certain lens Dune is very much of that ilk, and the Gesserit are the ultimate king-makers of the galaxy IIRC, I daresay this would be the angle any show would play up.

Three words: 'Game of Thrones'; through a certain lens Dune is very much of that ilk, and the Gesserit are the ultimate king-makers of the galaxy IIRC, I daresay this would be the angle any show would play up.

'Game of Thrones' doesn't just focus on one group though. Sure, there's an awful lot of Dune's influence going on with GRRM's story. That's pretty clear. But, I can't imagine that 'Game of Thrones' would have been as entertaining as it was if the focus was primarily on, say, The Sparrows.

I mean more that Game of Thrones now likely drives about 80% of all Networks' conversations about new shows, and that the Gesserit's modus operandi likely lit some fires in the minds of those executives; from what I recall though, the Gesserit were a lot more substantial to the world of Dune, quietly messing with the gene pools and marriages to create the Super Being they were after.

Anyway, conjecture and broadly a bit disappointed they're rushing out the follow ups.

Hope they give a shout to Norma :)

Hope they give a shout to Norma :)

Why?
    Norma is only relevant to the BG if they take the BJH and KA books as canonical.
    In the FH books, she has much more to do with the guild.

banie01 wrote: »
    Why?
    Norma is only relevant to the BG if they take the BJH and KA books as canonical.
    In the FH books, she has much more to do with the guild.

lol, you think they gonna ignore BH?

Are the rights to the creative works going for free now or something?

Is this really gonna be a "I can't believe it's not Dune"?

:D

• Advertisement

lol, you think they gonna ignore BH?

Are the rights to the creative works going for free now or something?

Is this really gonna be a "I can't believe it's not Dune"?

:D

The prequels and sequels to the original 6 should IMO be ignored completely.
    The ret-conning is extremely poor, to the point it destroys continuity and tbh the actual standard of writing, storytelling and development in those "books" is abysmal.

I'm happy to leave BJH's contribution to Dune to the Notebooks.

If they want to expand the universe and keep it in line with the original 6, the Dune Encyclopedia is a much better jump off point IMO.

Advertisement