Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Shouldn't have been so hard in the end alright. I wonder would we have won against the full Zimbabwe team? Still, it was important to win and they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Important we came away with one win at least.

Now onto the Zim A and Namibia matches. Hoping S Poynter is given a shot in the 4 day game

100 for Poynter! Top knock, take a bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Heading for a draw..

Hmm.. Zim 74/3 at one stage but motored away now and on 228/3 with a lead of 267. Would they be confident enough to aim to declare with say 5 overs left today and try and get an early wicket with tomorrow left? They'd want a lead of 350+ I think?

Edited to add: scoring slowed down now, looks like they're going to play safe :) Though Dockrell taken for 11 in last over - maybe a spurt on? Yep, the two lads are near their tons, once they have them......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Century in both innings x 2

Will be looking for Poynter do to the same :)

Be interesting to see what Zim do - will they push the lead out to 400+ and see if they have a bit of success early on, with us batting for a draw. Or take a chance, declare and see if they can take wickets with us having a go for it? My guess at this stage is the former. Their scoring was up and down in the last hour, the two Zim lads got stuck in the nervous nineties for a while.

Our bowlers havent covered themselves in glory thats for sure, leaking runs at expensive rates.

Zim bat for three overs this morning and declare - kinda odd, meaningless. We've lost Poynter and look like, just aiming to pat away and leave for the remaining 70 overs or so.......

Edited to add.. hmm, two down now for 50 - the lads had better start concentrating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

BarryD wrote: »
    Zim bat for three overs this morning and declare - kinda odd, meaningless. We've lost Poynter and look like, just aiming to pat away and leave for the remaining 70 overs or so.......

Edited to add.. hmm, two down now for 50 - the lads had better start concentrating :(

No sign of Stirling. Is he injured? That would mean we are now effectively four down soon after lunch.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    No sign of Stirling. Is he injured? That would mean we are now effectively four down soon after lunch.

No idea, but we're 4 (or 5) down now and 50ish overs to survive.. maybe all this one day cricket ain't so good in terms of suppressing the urge to throw the bat?

Edited to add: I see K'OB has 1 run off 20 balls now - obviously he's under orders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

BarryD wrote: »
    No idea, but we're 4 (or 5) down now and 50ish overs to survive.. maybe all this one day cricket ain't so good in terms of suppressing the urge to throw the bat?

Edited to add: I see K'OB has 1 run off 20 balls now - obviously he's under orders!

Mooney in after Thompson, five down, no sign of Stirling so effectively six down. Hopefully it is nothing serious and they are protecting him for the Namibia game.

Well, fizzled out for a draw - K'OB and John Mooney did well to steady the innings and close it out. I guess when there are two fairly evenly matched teams, it's hard to get a result in a 4 day game with 2 innings.. Was kinda looking this way when they were still batting into the third day with the 1st innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Looking good in the inter continental cup game.

Jaysus - 300+ stand for 2nd wicket, that must have been demoralising for Namibia. Double century for Joyce. What'll we do - try to put up another 100 or so quickly and then declare?

I see we're on 521/6 now with lead of 270 and lunch - surely have to declare at this point.

Unless weather is an issue (unlikely) then aim to bat only once.
    Still more than a day and a half left, so another 100 needed. Put them in before tea.

I'd have thought you wouldn't want to be giving them too much of an idea that they could dig in and bat it out? Our bowling attack isn't exactly cutting edge.

The flip side of that is you don't want them to have the opportunity to set a target to chase in the last session or 2 on a pitch that may be deteriorating.

axe2grind wrote: »
    The flip side of that is you don't want them to have the opportunity to set a target to chase in the last session or 2 on a pitch that may be deteriorating.

Ah yes, but the option of chasing such a total is what would give our bowlers a bit of an advantage. Anyways, even if they set a total to get, it'd hardly be that high and we'd have plenty of wickets in hand. Just think these four day matches are tight on time and you shouldn't give a sucker an even break! :) But sure, we'll see.

• Advertisement

Seem to have declared at 570/6 with bit more than day and a half to remove Namibia. I suppose if we can't do it in that time, we don't deserve to win!

Edited to add: two very quick wickets for Murtagh........ I guess we're on our way.

Seems like they'll get a day off.
    Namibia already 4 down, 50 over left today.

It does go to final day, but only 3 wickets needed

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭minitrue

Didn't take very long to wrap them up (last two fell in 2 balls the over after the break through), innings victory and full points in the bag. 2 wins from 2 for us with only PNG (1 from 1) also having a 100% win record (Afghanistan only have an abandoned game Vs Scotland so far). Great start on the road to the Test Challenge but still a bit scary how vital Murtagh is to us, especially in this format (he ripped out the top order in the second innings) :-/

November 21st is day 1 of PNG Vs Afghanistan which will probably leave things a lot clearer as regards how much wiggle room we have (room for rain to ruin games).

Rankin back and ODI's vs Aus and SA announced, great day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Great news indeed! Pity it didn't work out for him in the end and he wasn't given a decent chance, but good for Ireland as we could really use a bowler like him at the moment.

I wonder will it also be possible to play another series against Zimbabwe around the same time as the SA odis?

John Mooney retires. A true hero of the game and often the unheralded star for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Really came from nowhere that.

He's also been selected for the Masters t20 league in Dubai.

We're starting to see the old guard slip away now. Could Niall be next to retire??

Advertisement