Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RuPaul's Drag Race

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yes, I do remember that. At least she laughed, but that wouldn't surprise me if it's what she was like when she was younger.

I haven't seen the reality show Santino was a contestant on, but apparently he was just as big a dickhead on it as he is in Drag Race, so he sadly isn't putting his attitude on for the cameras. He's just a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE 'REAL' PERSON? SHE'S A DRAG QUEEN YOU DUMB B*****D
    They do that every season though, target someone and 'want to see more of your vulnerabilities', blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

jesus - leganja (sp?), the arse really fell out of your shtick. she was soo one dimensional at the end. that whole act was so limited!

i'm surprised at how much dela crème is stuggling

delighted bianca won another challenge

btw, most of my predictions have been wrong except - i did say at week one that Visage would castigate dela crème for not being herself. but i mean, for fuxxsake, she has built a CHARACTER!! for her now to go out in drag and act as plain old Paul (or whatever) makes no sense and it's an uttely pointless criticism.

WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE 'REAL' PERSON? SHE'S A DRAG QUEEN YOU DUMB B*****D

SO F****D OFF RIGHT NOW, sorry for shouting though :(

Agreed, agreed, AGREED!

Personally, I think Leganja peaked at her death drop in the opening of the first episode. If she was willing to do it then, and so well, there wasn't much else left for the viewers, as evidenced by her performance for the rest of her time on the show.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Personally, I think Leganja peaked at her death drop in the opening of the first episode. If she was willing to do it then, and so well, there wasn't much else left for the viewers, as evidenced by her performance for the rest of her time on the show.
    If you use up all your tricks too fast, you're putting yourself under immense pressure to keep wowing people. all the past winners were people who kept consistent and didn't pull out the stops until the second half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

okay people, time to nail your colours to the mast. I think we have all had plenty of time and made early prognoses, but it's winner prediction time!!!

i'm going to go Bianca winner, Adore second and Ben de la Crème third.

My third place prediction is a high risk one given that she has been near the bottom the last two weeks, and visage has levelled her with her dumb and predictable 'i want to see the REAL you' line...
    but hey, that's just how i role i'm cray

so peoples, any divergence on that prediction?

I too think Bianca will take it, with Adore and Ben 2nd and 3rd. I don't think Courtney will make the top 3. I wouldn't also count Trinity out now that she seems to have got a 2nd wind. Possible top 3 material also. The rest will go in the next few weeks, hopefully starting with Darienne.

I haven't seen the latest episode, I will tonight when I get home, but I just wanted to mention the controversy that has happened in the last few days around the show.

Apparently, the "he-male or she-male" mini-challenge from a few weeks ago has been edited out from all future broadcasts/on demand streams of that episode, and from now on the start of each episode will no longer have the "Ooh, girl, you got she-mail" announcement.

This is due to Logo, the channel showing RPDR in the US having taken the decision, after 6 years, that saying "she-mail" is offensive and should no longer be in the show. The online reaction I have read so far is about 90% against Logo's decision and want it brought back.

What do you think? Do you find the term offensive, even in the context of the show?

EDIT: After having talked to trans friends last night, I decided to take off this post. I was out of order in a sense and would rather people didn't read it and think that was my opinion now.

I was glad that Darienne was noticed for being a nasty bitch in Untucked. Finally others are seeing it and it's not just Bianca that's calling her on it. Get her out!

Just when I start to like a queen, she goes. I definitely thought that Joslyn should have been bottom two with Trinity, with Joslyn going. Please, if there is any justice in the world, let Darienne be out next week!

I almost thought that Adore was gonna go this week too. Her interview was terrible.

Georgia - "It was during the Depression, we had no money"
    Adore - "Party"

What a hilarious yet totally inappropriate response!

Trinity (repeatedly to Chaz Bono) - "So, Chad". :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Also remember that the drag community is often a safe zone for transwomen

I wasn't going to comment here because I don't watch the show, but I do feel like I have to post because there is something I'd like you to understand. Words like 'tranny' and 'shemale' hurt. A lot. I don't know if I can sufficiently explain to you why these words hurt so much, but if you were ever in the position of having them roared at you from a passing car, or sneered at you in a bar by someone who wants to make sure you hear them and know you're not welcome, or overhear those words whispered or giggled and suddenly feel eyes on you because you wonder are people talking about you. These are words that cut to the bone for trans people, because they bring with them feelings of hatred, hostility, of derision and being ridiculed, feelings of being 'other' and unwelcome. To paraphrase a certain Irish LGBT icon...

They. Feel. Oppressive.

And you know, regardless of the context, those words still hurt, they are still nasty and they still serve to remind us what some parts of society think of us. When they are not used in reference to trans people, we still see that they are vicious terms, and here on boards we can see perfect examples of that when people call Linda Martin those words, precisely so they can be as hurtful as they can towards her. Those words are never nice, so when people come along and condescend to trans people that we shouldn't be so sensitive or that it's ok because it's in a certain context, or they shouldn't have to be considerate to people who those slurs directly affect, THAT feels oppressive.

So you say that the drag community is a safe space for trans people? I think that an awful lot of transgender people have articulated how and why these words are hurtful and hateful slurs, and among many other LGBT groups that highlight how negative these slurs are, GLAAD have stated how "These words only serve to dehumanize transgender people and should not be used." I really, really don't think that there is much ambiguity left with how trans people feel about these words, so how inclusive can a community really be when they prioritize using slurs over trans people? How inclusive is it, when the only other people who are so invested in using these slurs are people who vehemently hate and despise us. The drag community right now is coming across like Jim Walsh complaining that he can't call gay people 'fairies', and how do you think this feels to trans people?

I don't want this to get drawn into a debate, I don't want to discuss the validity of these words or if they're OK under certain circumstances, they're not. I just want to ask you to consider the impact these words have on the people they are usually directed towards. Go back to enjoying your show, and discussing the happenings of every episodes, it'll be far more interesting than my little interjection here. But I would like to leave you with the words of Carmen Carrera to consider also:
    Although I am certain RuPaul’s Drag Race didn’t mean to be offensive, let this be a learning experience. I think the show has opened up and educated the minds of many people who were ignorant to the world of drag and has made equality and respect a possibility for those involved, not only as equal beings but as phenomenal artists. There has always been a huge presence of trans artists in the drag scene. “Shemale” is an incredibly offensive term, and this whole business about if you can tell whether a woman is biological or not is getting kind of old. We live in a new world where understanding and acceptance are on the rise. Drag Race should be a little smarter about the terms they use and comprehend the fight for respect trans people are facing every minute of today. They should use their platform to educate their viewers truthfully on all facets of drag performance art.

No, you're completely right, after discussions with friends last night I realised the implication of the words and I was absolutely wrong regarding my last post in that sense. I just want you to know I didn't mean to be malicious about it and I'm sorry for offending users here.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I just want you to know I didn't mean to be malicious about it

I didn't think it was malicious at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Finally managed to catch up on the 4 episodes I had missed last night, not a bit sad at the choices of who to send home although I nearly died when I thought my girl Ben was a goner, love her!

Starting to get a bit sick of Courtney, she is great queen no doubt but a bit too slick and its wearing a bit thin, she doesn't seem to have anything else beyond the physical and I'm bored with her now.

At the stage I'm really hoping Ben, Bianca and Adore make it to the top three, Adore has really improved over the past few weeks and I think she deserves it.

Please please get rid of Darianne next, not only is she a total cow but she is nothing to look at on the runway and I can't really understand why she has survived this long. Then Joslyn who is just embarrassing.

On the She-mail controversy I would never have thought that would be offensive but I'm not trans so words like that wouldn't be on my radar as slurs. If the trans community find it offensive it should go but it shouldn't have taken 6 seasons to do it. Its made me wonder, is drag itself not offensive then to trans women?

Finally, on a totally different point, how amazing does Cher's mother look for 87!!?!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Its made me wonder, is drag itself not offensive then to trans women?

No, not at all. ;)

I haven't seen this weeks drag race yet, but note to self, don't look at Tumblr on Tuesdays until I have seen the episode. The Americans have stuff up pretty fast about it!

Can't believe how fast this series is going, down to the final 5 already. I guess two more go and then its the final three in the live show? How will I cope when its over?? :(

Anyway, makeover week is one of my favourite shows, its always good craic seeing big burly men made over as drag queens.
    I'm kinda pissed off in a way that Adore made it through, now I love Adore and she is one of my personal top three but I think having been in the lip synch so many times she should go. Its starting to look a bit like favouritism that she is still there. I'm glad Joslyn went, hopefully next week Darienne will be out

I'm totally over Courtney now, loved her at the start but her personality has turned me right off. Bianca who I thought was a nasty cow has really developed a heart of gold and I think she's amazing. I think this season is the tightest yet in terms of who could win, there are 3/4 very worthy winners left.

I know, I'm so annoyed it's almost over. I think I read somewhere there's an All Stars 2 later this year so that'll hold us until Season 7 in FebRUrary 2015!

Bianca = Winner. No question. If she doesn't win I'll eat my left hand.
    Adore - Surprised she has survived this far although I do like her. Think she will end up in the Top 3.
    Ben - The other top 3 finisher. Is coasting along nicely, but apart from her fly look and Snatch Game performance, nothing's really wowed me.
    Courtney - It's all body. No versatility. A real one trick pony that is giving us the same thing every time. I'm bored already. Time to go.
    Darienne - I can't say any more about her, I'm sick of her and want her to leave. Like 5 weeks ago. If she makes Top 3 I'll eat my right hand.
    Joslyn - Everything is falling apart for her at this stage. The runway look for the groom was horrible. Time's up love, go home! <lifts boob> wah! wah!

Considering the lip-sync, Ru has said before that the performance has to match the song, so why she picked someone who was jumping around on stage like a cat on cocaine instead of the more honed in soulful performance that matched the song baffles me. Favouritism? Possibly. A wrong choice? In my opinion, yes.

Please, next week can we have Courtney and Darienne in the bottom two, with Ru shocking everyone with a double elimination. PLEASE!

Paddy C wrote: »
    Please, next week can we have Courtney and Darienne in the bottom two, with Ru shocking everyone with a double elimination. PLEASE!

Oh I like the sound of that ;) Imagine the look on Courtney's face :D

eviltwin wrote: »
    Oh I like the sound of that ;) Imagine the look on Courtney's face :D
    I am. That's why I'm grinning.

• Advertisement

WOW!!

you can really see now how Ru places all the emphasis on the lip-synch :O

WOW!!

you can really see now how Ru places all the emphasis on the lip-synch :O

I am really surprised by that decision, wrong choice imho.

My right hand is looking delicious right about now.

Very surprised at DeLa going home and Darienne still friggin' there. She CAN'T make Top 3. She just can't. She' not talented enough and her looks are awful. She completely missed the point on the Glitter Ball looks and what she did come on the runway with looked God awful, especially the executive one. Seriously. What the hell?!

i know!! what the absolute f**k?

her runway looks are brutal and when she dances she's like a big black bag full of yoghurt sloshing around the place

so not talented

The general online reaction I've read is that DeLa should have stayed and Darienne go. No one seems happy at the result of this weeks lip-sync. Tickets are being advertised online for the reunion/crowing show on 6th May so we are so close to the end of this season. I hope we are getting All Stars 2, and they did announce Season 7 before 6 started broadcasting, so hopefully there's a Season 8 as well. I think RPDR is Logo's biggest rated show, so it's gonna run for a good few more years yet I'd say. They'd be mad to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Idiopath

What a great thread, what a great show!
    I'm absolutely sickened Dela was eliminated! I was hoping she'd win, love her look and character.. and possibly have a tiny crush on Ben outta drag. Darienne should have gone weeks ago!

Presumably it'll be a Courtney Act/Bianca Del Rio contest for the winner (With Bianca coming out on top)

But after Jinx monsoon beating Alaska last year - Anythings possible!

Idiopath wrote: »
    What a great thread, what a great show!
    I'm absolutely sickened Dela was eliminated! I was hoping she'd win, love her look and character.. and possibly have a tiny crush on Ben outta drag. Darienne should have gone weeks ago!

Presumably it'll be a Courtney Act/Bianca Del Rio contest for the winner (With Bianca coming out on top)

But after Jinx monsoon beating Alaska last year - Anythings possible!

Me too, he is gorgeous!!

As for the winner, after last week who knows what Ru is thinking, I would like to see Bianca win as she is the best all rounder of the 4 but it could be anyone. Adore isn't a winner, she needs a few more years to hone her skills ( and learn to sew!! ), Courtney is a bit of a one trick pony and Darienne isn't even in the same league as any of those girls.

My money is on either Bianca or Adore.

I have got my friend in Drag Race and she watched the entire of Season 1 today. She wasn't happy that Nina didn't win, but says she's now totally addicted to it and is gonna binge watch the rest of the seasons over the next week or so.

I'd love to be watching Season 4 and 5 all over again as if I'd never seen them. They were the best seasons. Whilst I love Bianca and some of the other queens from season 6, it seems to be missing something.

Just finished this weeks and we now have a top 3!

There's no Untucked for this week that I can see, I thought there would have been, if anyone has a link to it, please hook me up!

So, now we know who the top 3 for Season 6 is, who do you want to win....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Idiopath

I can't even find a link for this week's ep! :-/

Advertisement