Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoegaze

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

i wouldnt be a big fan of the genre, but i think this album is classed as shoegaze, and its probably one of my favourite albums of the last few years

Solar powered people - self titled

Brilliant album, tho what i heard from their follow up album didnt sound nearly as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Saw beach fossils a few weeks ago in Barcelona and they were brilliant

Their touring guitarist is this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Dragging up an old thread I know, but Ride have recently uploaded most of the singles and videos to youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm really digging the album Ujubasajuba by Kairon; IRSE! from this year. It's quite trippy and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Curve - Superblaster. I love the stylized production & guitar parts. Oozes coolness, still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh25cWav6Xs

• Advertisement

Have a listen to Moon King. Their obsession album from last year really nails that classic shoegaze sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSiQj72SBb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa3vAPaRu4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=089rkY1KtFg

More modern electro shoegaze with psych touches.

Melody's Echo Chamber - You Won't Be Missing That Part Of Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyhl5GSje4

Great album. Sounds Incredible. Produced by Kevin Parker of Tame Impala.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrRTeMq8fw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

A place to bury strangers ..upcoming album ,upcoming gig ..If you don't know them then get busy..awesome band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

New Irish shoegaze fb group if any of ye are on it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1432780123678859/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The husband and wife act of Joy Zipper fall squarely into the shoegaze/dreampop genre. Their album Apathy is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

If you're looking for new bands in the shoegaze/dream pop vein, then Cork band Elastic Sleep are ones to watch. Their EP Leave You from last year was one of my favourites of 2014.

Okay, not your typical shoegaze, but the telefon tel aviv remix of the green green grass by the american analog set is just swirling gorgeousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDPG_LOM0w

More "trad" cocteaus style shoegaze. The Cranes - Tomorrows Tears from 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0riFXq_yT3s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

A few years ago artists from The Morr Music label realeased and tribute to Slowdive called "Blue Skied an' Clear".
    If you're a fan of slowdive and you like a bit of electronica, then you'll love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

A few years ago artists from The Morr Music label realeased and tribute to Slowdive called "Blue Skied an' Clear".
    If you're a fan of slowdive and you like a bit of electronica, then you'll love this.

It's brilliant - now 13 years old, came out around the time I got married.

I liked it so much I bought it on vinyl and CD.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    It's brilliant - now 13 years old, came out around the time I got married.

I liked it so much I bought it on vinyl and CD.

It's definitely one of my top 5 completions. I've got to know so many of the Morr music acts thanks to it. Isan, Lali Puna, Ulrich Schnaus are still making great music today.

13 years already...that's scary, I'd much prefer it if was only forty days.

Anybody here listening to Grouper aka Liz harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Anybody here listening to Grouper aka Liz harris?
    I'm a huge fan of Grouper. Even though her music is more ambient/drone it definitely has prominent a shoegaze influence, particularly on Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill.

Here's a couple more artists that I enjoy who have blurred the boundaries between shoegaze, ambient and drone in a similar spirit to Grouper:

Windy & Carl

Jessica Bailiff

I'm not meaning to be a smart arse but aren't Ambient and Drone the key elements of shoegaze. I suppose they have become or have always been their own thing. I definatly agree with you about that Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill. I'm also a huge fan of her music too, I'm slowly, slowly taking in Ruins at the moment. Did you hear the colaboration she's made with The Bug?
    The music that's coming out of the kranky label the last couple of years is amazing. Their playlist on soundcloud is really worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

A shoegaze band with a flute player anyone? Blind Mr. Jones were jokingly dubbed the "Jethro Tull of shoegaze" by the media in the early 90's, but they have some solid guitars to back it up. Their 1992 album Stereo Musicale is a must have.

blind mr jones was a chris hufford creation who i think produced the slowdive albums? i would google and find out but am still shocked that blind mr jones are on boards.ie!

• Advertisement

I'm not meaning to be a smart arse but aren't Ambient and Drone the key elements of shoegaze. I suppose they have become or have always been their own thing.
    I've always felt that shoegaze itself flirted with ambient and drone but never completely crossed over.
    roll wrote: »
    blind mr jones was a chris hufford creation who i think produced the slowdive albums? i would google and find out but am still shocked that blind mr jones are on boards.ie!
    Chris Hufford produced a lot of bands of that period including Blind Mr. Jones and Slowdive. He also produced some early Radiohead recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I've always felt that there were kind of two sides of shoegaze, the ambient/drone side and the noisy guitar side. Kind of like shoegaze was born from a marriage of the Jesus and Mary Chain and the Cocteau Twins, and some of the children inherited more from one parent than from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I've always felt that there were kind of two sides of shoegaze, the ambient/drone side and the noisy guitar side. Kind of like shoegaze was born from a marriage of the Jesus and Mary Chain and the Cocteau Twins, and some of the children inherited more from one parent than from the other.

Makes sense! I reckon the cocteau twins or maybe the cure are the original shoegazers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

NSFW but one of my favourite bands of the last few years.

Also, another of my favourite bands, EVER!

Actually, one more came to mind, incredible.

daUbiq wrote: »
    Makes sense! I reckon the cocteau twins or maybe the cure are the original shoegazers!
    Both have certainly had a big influence, Cocteau Twins more so than The Cure. Could also throw in The Chameleons, Lowlife, Loop and This Scarlet Train as precursors.

But when I think original shoegazers I think MBV with Isn't Anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

But when I think original shoegazers I think MBV with Isn't Anything.

Yes, so do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I never really considered "Isn't Anything" a shoegaze album, more like odd indie pop. My entry point into the classic shoe gaze sound was the early Ride and Slowdive EP's. I'd grown up with the Cocteau Twins and The Cure but didn't think much of Isn't Anything when it was released... Loveless on the other hand is definitely a shoegaze album. It has the guitar sound but "Isn't Anything" doesn't sound like shoe gaze to me at all. Loveless is, in my opinion, a far superior album which I listen to intermittently but for me Slowdive and Ride were more important because at the time they released more records, played more gigs, did more press and were only a few years older than me, whereas in 1990/1991 MBV were already beginning to fall apart.

I've always felt that shoegaze itself flirted with ambient and drone but never completely crossed over.

Chris Hufford produced a lot of bands of that period including Blind Mr. Jones and Slowdive. He also produced some early Radiohead recordings.

chris hufford was (in) BMJ? not (just) d producer?

have loved reading through this thread over the last day or two... i just remember 'shoegazers' being a laughing stock back in the early 90's! from an irish perspective, do Cane141 count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

New Swervedriver album next month folks.

Advertisement