Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

No point sending both to the one person!

You sort out this one and I'll send mine to the next taker.

Mine has been through a few boardsies now.

Vest-sluh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Vest-sluh.

It's like your aul one at this stage, been full of sweaty bikers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

No point sending both to the one person!

You sort out this one and I'll send mine to the next taker.

Mine has been through a few boardsies now.

Then yours is the proper lucky one!! Mine only did me, so it’d be better if you take care of peppa

And positive tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Lucky vest inbound - thanks Jimmy.

When I have added my sweat to it it will be back to boards for another taker ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Looking for some help getting back on the road, mainly understanding the licence. Can't wrap my head around my situation.

I had bikes for a few years when I was a teenager but moved into the city late 2011 and have been walking/cycling/public transport mostly since, but after a recent move I was thinking I'd hop back on a maxi scooter to commute to work. I never bothered trying to get my full licence back in the day, I just renewed the provisional and they'd tack on the extra classes as they were changing, and I renewed it in 2018 so as not to time out after 5 years of inactivity so I didn't have to bother paying for all that training if I felt like hopping back on again.

So now my most recent provisional looks like this:
    AM - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A1 - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A2 - Issued 26.01.18 / Expire 25.01.19 (991)
    A - Issued 28.09.09 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)

My main question is, the yoke I intend to get is a Yamaha X-Max 300/400cc, which is an A2 Licence category now I think. Because of that 991 there on the A2 on my licence, do I have to pay for all the IBT stuff if I try go for a bike in that range? The category didn't exist when I renewed the licence in 2011.. I don't even know if I'd be able to book a test in that category (which I'll have to do to renew my provisional) without doing IBT.

If that is the case, am I right in saying I only have to do IBT if I was to get an A2 bike, but then I wouldn't have to bother if I got an A range bike like a Honda X-ADV / NC750DCT because those are older, 993s on my licence from before all these rule changes?

I was just gonna get the X-Max cos its a couple grand cheaper than the Hondas but I cba with all that IBT stuff.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers

Where did ya do the test Jimmy?

Where did ya do the test Jimmy?

The GUIDE Clinic.

The GUIDE Clinic.

Careful you, or I’ll get car finder after ya!!

I see Eric Dalton had a good week with tests. 5 first time passers

• Advertisement

The GUIDE Clinic.

You're getting a spinning back kick

Test done in Dun Laoghaire, all lessons and IBT done with Paul Jenkins, I also used his MT07 for the test. Wrecked now, adrenalin dump

You're getting a spinning back kick

Test done in Dun Laoghaire, all lessons and IBT done with Paul Jenkins, I also used his MT07 for the test. Wrecked now, adrenalin dump

Yup, know that feeling!!

Yup, know that feeling!!

wanting to give Bottlehead a spinning back kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Lyle wrote: »
    Looking for some help getting back on the road, mainly understanding the licence. Can't wrap my head around my situation.

I had bikes for a few years when I was a teenager but moved into the city late 2011 and have been walking/cycling/public transport mostly since, but after a recent move I was thinking I'd hop back on a maxi scooter to commute to work. I never bothered trying to get my full licence back in the day, I just renewed the provisional and they'd tack on the extra classes as they were changing, and I renewed it in 2018 so as not to time out after 5 years of inactivity so I didn't have to bother paying for all that training if I felt like hopping back on again.

So now my most recent provisional looks like this:
    AM - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A1 - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A2 - Issued 26.01.18 / Expire 25.01.19 (991)
    A - Issued 28.09.09 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)

My main question is, the yoke I intend to get is a Yamaha X-Max 300/400cc, which is an A2 Licence category now I think. Because of that 991 there on the A2 on my licence, do I have to pay for all the IBT stuff if I try go for a bike in that range? The category didn't exist when I renewed the licence in 2011.. I don't even know if I'd be able to book a test in that category (which I'll have to do to renew my provisional) without doing IBT.

If that is the case, am I right in saying I only have to do IBT if I was to get an A2 bike, but then I wouldn't have to bother if I got an A range bike like a Honda X-ADV / NC750DCT because those are older, 993s on my licence from before all these rule changes?

I was just gonna get the X-Max cos its a couple grand cheaper than the Hondas but I cba with all that IBT stuff.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers

991 is has to wait six months from date of issue
    993 is 3rd or subsequent permit.

Did you do an ibt prior to 2013?

Mjolnir wrote: »
    991 is has to wait six months from date of issue
    993 is 3rd or subsequent permit.

Did you do an ibt prior to 2013?

Nope, I didn't. Just had one or two lessons off a neighbour in 2007 and that was it!

So I won't have to do the IBT on an A2 category bike even though the Date of Issue is newer than the other three categories, starting after the mandatory IBT came in?

Nope, I didn't. Just had one or two lessons off a neighbour in 2007 and that was it!

So I won't have to do the IBT on an A2 category bike even though the Date of Issue is newer than the other three categories?

You've never done an ibt so you DO have to do one now regardless of the bike catagory A1/A2/A
    Your permit is not valid for you to ride on the road without an ibt.

Just to add the actual ibt regulations came into effect in 2011

You've never done an ibt so you DO have to do one now regardless of the bike catagory A1/A2/A
    Your permit is not valid for you to ride on the road without an ibt.

Right, gotcha. I had no idea how this stuff has changed, I haven't been able to wrap my head around it at all. I thought back whenever they changed the rules ten or so years ago for cars and bikes that for any existing provisional with an Issue Date before the date of the training coming in that you don't have to do the mandatory training.

I was hoping I'd just be able to renew the provisional, throw on a yellow vest and boot around on the scooter while I wait to sit the test I must book to renew the provisional in a year's time. I'll have to sort the IBT so as well. Cheers for the advice!

wanting to give Bottlehead a spinning back kick?

Firstly, put this picture in your head. Danny Glover, lethal weapon 2. Remember the ‘spinning kick’ on the water bottle? Yup. That’d be me. Except a paper and slightly younger version.

Secondly, I’d never catch him on my bike!!

Right, gotcha. I had no idea how this stuff has changed, I haven't been able to wrap my head around it at all. I thought back whenever they changed the rules ten or so years ago for cars and bikes that for any existing provisional with an Issue Date before the date of the training coming in that you don't have to do the mandatory training.

I was hoping I'd just be able to renew the provisional, throw on a yellow vest and boot around on the scooter while I wait to sit the test I must book to renew the provisional in a year's time. I'll have to sort the IBT so as well. Cheers for the advice!

Someone I know had a similar experience that's what they had to do, actually best way to find out for sure is go onto the rsa website try book the test.
    If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.

Firstly, put this picture in your head. Danny Glover, lethal weapon 2. Remember the ‘spinning kick’ on the water bottle? Yup. That’d be me. Except a paper and slightly younger version.

Secondly, I’d never catch him on my bike!!

I drove his bike around the carpark in an apartment block, I wouldn't drive it any further. #thebikethatjackbuilt

• Advertisement

I drove his bike around the carpark in an apartment block, I wouldn't drive it any further. #thebikethatjackbuilt

You'll work your way up to it some day, petal.

Awwww lookit the bromance!!

Someone I know had a similar experience that's what they had to do, actually best way to find out for sure is go onto the rsa website try book the test.
    If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.

Booking the test isn't the problem I think, it's the having to do IBT before being able to use the bike to commute. The queues for IBT lessons will probably be months so it just ****s on my quick fix plan to hop on a scooter to get to work.

I was mixing it up with cars. If your provisional on a car is from before 4/4/2011 you don't have to do the training:

All holders of their first learner permit issued from 4 April 2011 must undertake Essential Driver Training (EDT) with an RSA Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).

That EDT rule for the car doesn't appear to be the same as the IBT on the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.
    Oh they'll gladly take your money and let you take up a test spot, rock up with no IBT and tell you, no dice buddy :pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Oh they'll gladly take your money and let you take up a test spot, rock up with no IBT and tell you, no dice buddy :pac:

Not anymore since the booking system changed to the new portal out of date ibt, won't let ya pick a date even if they should show up available.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Who's next for the lucky yellow vest?
    Well done young fella :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Test passed today, if anyone wants a vest and some 3.5mm head phones PM me your address. ðŸ˜

Shanzze wrote: »
    Test passed today, if anyone wants a vest and some 3.5mm head phones PM me your address. ðŸ˜

Well done Shanzze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

congrats! good timing with travel opening up

Advertisement