Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faith Healer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

endacl wrote: »
    Two of us challenged her post. She won’t be back.

:rolleyes:

Par for the course with Grace, same with the other threads she was involved with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Graces7 wrote: »
    Faith is not mj.

Healings happen and are well documented. So your statement is invalid ;)

Hundreds of thousands have hope and faith when they travel to places like Lourdes every year but come home as sick as they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

Hundreds of thousands have hope and faith when they travel to places like Lourdes every year but come home as sick as they went.
    quite a few cures have happened at Lourdes....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

oceanman wrote: »

Yep, nothing like a cure the morning after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

oceanman wrote: »

And unlike Grace above you will be able to provide links to these miracles and peer reviewed scientific papers to back up these claims of cures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

endacl wrote: »
    Two of us challenged her post. She won’t be back.

:rolleyes:

Oh aren't ye so brave and know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Anyone here ever heard of the placebo effect?

hgfj wrote: »
    Anyone here ever heard of the placebo effect?

I'd say you're the first to have heard of it. Does it cure terminal cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'd say you're the first to have heard of it. Does it cure terminal cancer?

No... surgery, chemo and radio therapy can tho. Faith healers cannot.

mloc123 wrote: »
    No... surgery, chemo and radio therapy can tho. Faith healers cannot.

Prove it :)

• Advertisement

Prove it :)

How about you prove they can?

Are you telling me tomorrow, if you were diagnosed with cancer you with skip medical treatment and go to a faith healer instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are you telling me tomorrow, if you were diagnosed with cancer you with skip medical treatment and go to a faith healer instead?

Sad thing is, some people would.

No you said they can't. Back up your statement with an examination of all claimed miraculous cures in history. You made the statement they can't..prove it :)

You see the answer is you can't but like a lot of people you think you know.

I'm not going to make a sweeping statement, there could have been a native Indian in the 500s AD who cured people on death's door... I'm not going to make sweeping statements when I have tiny amounts of information about the universe. Einstein, Hawking etc. None of them knew it all. Practically every scientist who ever lived, and died, has had their studies updated.

No you said they can't. Back up your statement with an examination of all claimed miraculous cures in history. You made the statement they can't..prove it :)

You see the answer is you can't but like a lot of people you think you know.

I'm not going to make a sweeping statement, their could have been a native Indian in the 500s AD who cured people on death's door... I'm not going to making sweeping statements when I have tiny amounts of information about the universe. Einstein, Hawking etc. None of them knew it all. Practically every scientist who ever lived, and died, has had their studies updated.

Valid argument, nobody can prove the existence or non-existence of god etc..

So instead I will settle on - in my opinion, faith healers are conmen that take advantage of vulnerable people.

Valid argument, nobody can prove the existence or non-existence of god etc..

So instead I will settle on - in my opinion, faith healers are conmen that take advantage of vulnerable people.

I'd agree in general. Maybe there's just one or two over millenia. I can't say. Off to watch this match now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does not have to be a rigid either/or choice like that! People who know prayer tend to fare better with treatment. There have been studies that prove that. ... One can support the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sad thing is, some people would.

It is their choice. To be respected as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Does not have to be a rigid either/or choice like that! People who know prayer tend to fare better with treatment. There have been studies that prove that. ... One can support the other.

Can you post links to some of these studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

troyzer wrote: »
    Can you post links to some of these studies?
    Journal of the American Medical Association, October 25, 1999
    A Randomized, Controlled Trial of the Effects of Remote, Intercessory Prayer on Outcomes in Patients Admitted to the Coronary Care Unit
    William S. Harris, PhD; Manohar Gowda, MD; Jerry W. Kolb, MDiv; et al Christopher P. Strychacz, PhD; James L. Vacek, MD; Philip G. Jones, MS; Alan Forker, MD; James H. O'Keefe, MD; Ben D. McCallister, MD
    Author Affiliations Article Information
    Arch Intern Med. 1999;159(19):2273-2278. doi:10.1001/archinte.159.19.2273

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Journal of the American Medical Association, October 25, 1999
    A Randomized, Controlled Trial of the Effects of Remote, Intercessory Prayer on Outcomes in Patients Admitted to the Coronary Care Unit
    William S. Harris, PhD; Manohar Gowda, MD; Jerry W. Kolb, MDiv; et al Christopher P. Strychacz, PhD; James L. Vacek, MD; Philip G. Jones, MS; Alan Forker, MD; James H. O'Keefe, MD; Ben D. McCallister, MD
    Author Affiliations Article Information
    Arch Intern Med. 1999;159(19):2273-2278. doi:10.1001/archinte.159.19.2273

I'll have a gander and get back to you.

Here's the paper for anyone else:

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1001/archinte.159.19.2273

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

It is their choice. To be respected as such.

Nothing wrong with someone clutching at straws if given a terminal prognosis,for my part i am happier with the scalpel rather than the scapular

Advertisement