Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    This could be totally wrong, but a friend told me about her friend (see what I mean!) who had lost her passport 3 times and was told she wouldn't get a new one for 10 years, as I suppose, they were starting to suspect she was selling them. I often wondered about that but never looked into it. Anybody any more info?
    I know a guy who lost his passport twice in South America and got a new one ok each time, but I'm not sure if they were proper 10 year ones.

I'd find that very hard to believe. They do certainly take a dim view of people who lose more than one passport and a previous poster is right in saying they won't issue a 10year passport if you lose your 2nd one but a 3 year one instead.
    But not issuing one for 10 years is effectively keeping you prisoner in your own country for a whole decade and there's bound to be some legislation on limits of the state's power in that regard.
    It would seem totally out of place that a state could effectively keep you locked within their territorial boundaries (except when you are charged with a criminal offense) without any proof whatsoever that you deliberately sold your passport.
    Anyone could be unlucky and lose 2 passports in a lifetime(Ive lost one so far), that doesn't mean the state has the right to prevent future travel.

I know from experience that if you have to replace a passport in an Irish embassy whilst abroad it will only be valid for one year.
    You pay full whack but then you swap it for a 10 year passport when you get home. At least that was the case in 2002 when I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

irwin wrote: »
    I also heard a simialar story and someone not getting one for 10 years!!!
    but how do they judge the fact that somone is being honest and losing their passports rather than selling them on to god knows where? anyway, i doubt you can forge the new passports, their fairly forgery proof.

Anything can be forged, from banknotes to passports. You'd be very surprised the lengths some people in developing countries go to forge a passport and they tend to do such a good job it works.
    BTW glad to hear you found your passport, nothing worse than paying for a new one and then the old one shows up...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you have a poor passport record, ie have lost two or more passports, it is likely that only very limited passport facilities will be given for specific travel purposes. On each occasion on which a passport is issued, even when this is a limited validity passport, the full passport fee will be payable.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_Irish_passport

Based on the above it looks like they would only issue a replacement to cover a specific time period or trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_Irish_passport

Based on the above it looks like they would only issue a replacement to cover a specific time period or trip.

Yeah, that was the impression I got. Not that you'd be kept prisoner in Ireland, but that you'd have to apply for some kind of temporary passport every time you were going away. But as I said, it was a friend of a friend so I don't know the exact details.

As for forging a passport, yeah considering the amounts of money people will pay, I'm sure there will always be ways found around it. Though if I lost mine, I think it would be very easy to forge. Awwww, just 1 year left of my handwritten passport and immigrations officers scratching their heads as they look for the barcode...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have a British passport and so have to get mine from the embassy in Dublin, rather than at the post office. At €151 a pop I can't afford to keep losing them.

I did lose it though, once in 2006 (was within my bag, which was stolen when my car was broken in to, while parked in private "secure" parking at my apartment complex). I got a replacement which was lost in 2008, while on holiday in England, and I reported it to the local police.

Anyway, when I applied for a replacement from the embassy, after coming back to Ireland from my trip to England, I got a call from this git who worked at the embassy, coming down on me like a ton of bricks - saying (among other things) that if I lose this one I'll be put on a black list, and future passports will be issued to me with one year validity at a time (though at full cost).

I tried to explain to him that the first time I was a victim of crime, and the guards were called etc etc, and the second time it was a genuine loss and I did everything possible to try and recover it. But he was having none of it. I'm not some careless kid. It was two very unfortunate occasions, both of which completely head-wrecking. The loss in England had me driving throughout most of Birmingham and back again, retracing my steps, frantically trying to remember where I'd dropped it. My wife and I very nearly weren't allowed to board our flight back to Ireland - the whole escapade was dire. Last thing I needed was some jumped up civil servant on the phone trying to teach me how to suck eggs.

Anyway, out of interest, I then called the UK Passport Office in England and told them about the call I received from the guy at the embassy, and they told me there's no such thing as a black list, they do not issue one year validity passports and invited me to make a formal complaint about the embassy should I wish to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irwin

benifa wrote: »
    I have a British passport and so have to get mine from the embassy in Dublin, rather than at the post office. At €151 a pop I can't afford to keep losing them.

I did lose it though, once in 2006 (was within my bag, which was stolen when my car was broken in to, while parked in private "secure" parking at my apartment complex). I got a replacement which was lost in 2008, while on holiday in England, and I reported it to the local police.

Anyway, when I applied for a replacement from the embassy, after coming back to Ireland from my trip to England, I got a call from this git who worked at the embassy, coming down on me like a ton of bricks - saying (among other things) that if I lose this one I'll be put on a black list, and future passports will be issued to me with one year validity at a time (though at full cost).

I tried to explain to him that the first time I was a victim of crime, and the guards were called etc etc, and the second time it was a genuine loss and I did everything possible to try and recover it. But he was having none of it. I'm not some careless kid. It was two very unfortunate occasions, both of which completely head-wrecking. The loss in England had me driving throughout most of Birmingham and back again, retracing my steps, frantically trying to remember where I'd dropped it. My wife and I very nearly weren't allowed to board our flight back to Ireland - the whole escapade was dire. Last thing I needed was some jumped up civil servant on the phone trying to teach me how to suck eggs.

Anyway, out of interest, I then called the UK Passport Office in England and told them about the call I received from the guy at the embassy, and they told me there's no such thing as a black list, they do not issue one year validity passports and invited me to make a formal complaint about the embassy should I wish to!

wow. thats a bit of a nightmare situation alright!!! so, out of curiosity... the man said you would be put on a black list(even though theres no such thing) and you can only have a passport for a year at a time?

are you on even a 'suspended' passport(like 3 years), or, are you on a normal one again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

irwin wrote: »
    wow. thats a bit of a nightmare situation alright!!! so, out of curiosity... the man said you would be put on a black list(even though theres no such thing) and you can only have a passport for a year at a time?

are you on even a 'suspended' passport(like 3 years), or, are you on a normal one again?

Normal, 10 year passport.

The Identity & Passport Service who I subsequently called in England, said the guy at the embassy was right to call me, to ask me to verify my stories etc., but should have been sympathetic, shouldn't have insinuated anything untoward, and certainly shouldn't have threatened me about a phantom "black list"! They were really quite shocked, as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Been the big unorganised mess that i am, i applied for a new passport today. flying to america the 4th of July. Went down the passport express route and should have the new one the 1st of July. If i do not get it by then who do i go to to get it?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Don't worry... You will get it on time. Passport Express is very reliable. If you ordered it today, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have it before the end of June.

i hopse so, my passport cracked (ints the new type one). i only noticed it yesterday. if worst comes to worst and it does not arrive do i have any other options. someone was telling me about going up to the passport office in dublin and they can do it for you there and then?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 I'm

A passport of limited validity ( 1 year ) for urgent travel purposes can be issued by the Dept in such cases - need proof of travel.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

In my case it was the Emergency Out of Hours service - facilitated by my local TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Before I sent in my application I was looking at booking earlier flights, so I rang up the DFA and the lady I spoke with was very rude. I asked would it be possible to get a passport in the same day if I arrived first thing in the morning with my application and proof of travel. She said not a notion!. I am not based in Dublin, and would need to pay for accommodation. So I asked, well how many days would we be talking and she said I can't tell you, you will have to ask someone at the desk when you get here. I asked her to put me through to someone at the desk and she said "No!". So I had no option but to book later flights, which was thankfully still an option but more expensive.

Anyway +1 that passport express is reliable. Got the passport in the letterbox 13 days (9 working) later. I was in a similar predicament to you OP and was on the DFA's Passport Application tracking thingy every day. Once an post delivered it to them it said that my application arrived and was subject to approval, would be released by date (x). The thing kept on saying that until the evening of date (x). Then it changed to approved and sent out. The next day it arrived.

Earlier on date (x) I rang up the DFA and spoke to another lady. She asked me when I sent it in and she just reiterated that the passport express service means that you get it done in 10 working days. No matter what I said or asked, she just kept repeating that. I was a little concerned because the tracking status was not changing. She would not comment on my case or give me a more accurate status update.

So the way I look at it is this. If you are travelling in > 10 days, then passport express is your only option. If travelling in under 10 days, get on the phone to a local TD and pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was in the same situation recently but I'm living abroad. I rang the embassy and they told me to contact the day before I was flying if it still hadn't arrived. They overnighted an emergency passport to me and it arrived in the morning along with the new passport so I ended up not needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Don't worry... You will get it on time. Passport Express is very reliable. If you ordered it today, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have it before the end of June.

If you ordered it today, you should have it by June 30th assuming no issues with photos / application form. I hope you took down the application number on the form so you can check the progress of the application on www.dfa.ie.

Once you get it apply for your ESTA straight away. They recommend 72 hours in advance of travel, so any delays to your passport could cause an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I applied for my son's passport yesterday in the Cork office and I'll be collecting it on the 30th of June. They had a sign up saying if you needed your passport in a hurry to bring proof of travel - I was chatting to a lady who thought you couldn't renew any earlier than a week before your passport expired which left her with 3 days to renew hers before her holiday. She brought her confirmation email from Aer Lingus and that was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Hi All,

Just a question for people who have a availed of this service. Will it take the 10 days to receive it or could I receive it in 7/8 days?

Thanks a mil in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's usually 6-8 days. But I wouldn't chance it if you need it within 10 days.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Remember, it's peak time of year for them too. I got mine back the other day, so it technically was 9 working days..

thanks for all the replies, checked the status the second i came home from work.

Status:Application received on 17/06/2009 and is being checked. Subject to approval issue by date is 26/06/2009.

Sounds good:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Question : How do I know if I have a machine-readable passport?

Answer :
    A machine-readable passport is a passport with two typeface lines printed at the bottom of the photo page, which can be read by machine.
    The two lines at the bottom of a machine-readable passport, for example, would look like the following:

LINE 1: P COUNTRY LAST NAME << FIRST NAME < MIDDLE NAME <<<<<
    LINE 2: PASSPORT NUMBER COUNTRY DOB<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Almost all Irish passports delivered from Dublin and Cork since the 1988 have been machine-readable (except for some handwritten passports).

mrp.gif

Sources :

WIKI
    US Embassy

Question : Do I need a biometric passport for the states?

Answer :
    No. Your passport just needs to be machine-readable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 May76

Hi,

I lodged my son's passport application using Passport Express on 25th Feb. I rang the Passport Office today and was told it hasn't even been checked and they can't give ANY idea as to projected timescale. We need it before 26th March and I'm worried in case it comes back with a query or something, as I don't think we'll have any hope at all then.

Have others had any good/bad experiences?

Thanks.

Very useful post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74152045&postcount=1942

Read that before posting.

Mod Warning:

The onus is on each individual to ensure your passport is up to date when you plan your travel and also to ensure that your application for a passport is properly completed. There is no point coming on here for a moan about things that are within your control.

If you want to have a rant, go elsewhere. Otherwise please just stick to the questions you want to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

the Travel section might be better for answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Emergency passport maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 May76

Hobochris,

Thank you. I had a hard time figuring out how to start a new thread. Not entirely sure how I ended up posting in Motors! It looks like you've moved it to travel? I think? Sorry, am new to this.

The Passport Office website is currently stating
    # The 10 day guarantee for receipt of applications submitted through the Passport Express service provided by An Post and the Royal Mail is suspended until further notice.

# Passports received through these services will be processed on a first come first served basis. Applications submitted by Passport Express are currently being processed between 10 and 15 days of receipt.

Emergency passport issuing won't really be an option
    # It will not be possible to fast-track any application other than in a case of genuine family emergency, in which case proof will be required that travel is necessitated by the death, illness or welfare of a family member. The issuing of passports in such emergencies is not affected by the industrial dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 allyb

Hi you are not alone we to are in the same situation travelling on the 18th and waiting for a passport, when we applied the passport express was still saying 10 days so how they can change this without consideration to current applicatioin is crazy. I think a trip to the passport office will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you look at previous posts here you will see that while they are not guaranteeing the 10 business days anymore they are coming pretty close to achieving it still. For the OP I would think you'll definitely be fine, for allyb it would depend when you sent it in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844705

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Anto123

There seem to be alot of threads on here about passports and the Civil Service industrial action so I thought this might be helpful to some people.

If you have lost your passport they count your application as a first time application. What this means is that even if you go in person to the passport office with proof of travel they are unable to rush your application. It will take at least (they can't even guarantee this) 10 working days to process.

If you think you might have lost your passport, then apply early for a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks to my thread being closed without an answer to my query! i have to use this thread.
    My situation is slightly different, and we cant get any information!

My husband has run out of pages in his passport and needs to get a new one for an urgent business trip that requires a full page visa in his passport.
    He's based in the Middle East, so the a new appliction takes 4-6weeks from there, and that was without the current industrial action!
    Ive tried to ring the passport office all day yesterday and cant get through, engaged tone all day!!
    Ive emailed them and heard nothing back.

He needs to know if he flys home and goes to the passport office in person, will they issue him with a passport?!
    He will obviously have evidence of flight for an emergency passport, as he will be flying back out the next day, but are they even issuing emergency passports to anyone at the moment?!

• Advertisement

Only for urgent family medical emergencies/deaths etc, according to their website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement