Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glanbia's new winter milk ,liquid contract Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What happens to the Premier winter bonus in all of this shake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    They were saying last night that there's lads calving in the autumn that are not in any scheme. Liquid or winter. Why would you bother?
    I know 2 liquid suppliers who calved in autumn for last 2 years and had liquid contract ,they opted out this year still calve in autumn but because of a very good herd of cows producing high solids milk they were loosing out even with liquid contract because liquid quota was only set figure over base ,the contract and its content are most important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Glanbia switched to paying for solids on liquid about a decade ago
    There was a transition period as most liquid farmers need at the time for quantity not solids so had low Butterfats and proteins but high volumes
    Most liquid lads now in glanbia will say it's a good thing
    Its added a few cent a litre for my contract anyway on top of the liquid premium
    I can't remember but I think the manufacturing milk was no solids either if you were liquid, I could be wrong on that one

No new news except to say ,your milk development manager will be Meeting you at your local Glanbia branch to run through this with you
    They won't be visiting farms unless you want them to.
    Not exactly ideal if you've a few neighbours sitting outside listening to you,so whisper...
    Also the letters will be going out next week and the objective of the restructuring is to considerably reduce the liquid pool

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No new news except to say ,your milk development manager will be Meeting you at your local Glanbia branch to run through this with you
    They won't be visiting farms unless you want them to.
    Not exactly ideal if you've a few neighbours sitting outside listening to you,so whisper...
    Also the letters will be going out next week and the objective of the restructuring is to considerably reduce the liquid pool

We should have been getting those letters weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

why are they reducing liquid milk pool? has domestic population not increased? do they not see themselves winning the contract back next time round

were getting 8c litre on nov-feb milk under new winter milk scheme is new liquid scheme going to be similar?

Because liquid premium is paid on March and Oct milk in glanbia
    Get rid of as much of that burden as possible
    Secondly the larger you are and the closer you are to a processing plant the better
    Less lorries going up back lanes in the middle of nowhere for small supply

As one farmer said to me they probably have a row of desks and a room full of people dedicated to dreaming up schemes the primary purpose of which is to reduce the overall cost of milk

Some lads will get 150 a gallon to retire contracts so there is a good incentive to switch to spring,a once off incentive
    But you can be guaranteed Glanbia are winning on it if it goes to plan
    Also as usual it's farmers through levies who pay for the restructuring not Glanbia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was only thinking that, the payment structure to sell your liquid quota, where you get the most money for your 1st 100l, is specifically designed as a bigger incentive to the smaller liquid suppliers to get out, who are probably a pain to be only collecting very small litres from during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone any further on?

I don't know what to do. I've spoken to milk advisor but I'm still not clear on a couple of things. Really could with more notice.

visatorro wrote: »
    Anyone any further on?

I don't know what to do. I've spoken to milk advisor but I'm still not clear on a couple of things. Really could with more notice.

It's really make your mind up time. Still waiting on the letter we were to get last week. Time is moving on. 4 cows bulling here this morning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's really make your mind up time. Still waiting on the letter we were to get last week. Time is moving on. 4 cows bulling here this morning....

It was the same last year. Letters sent out Christmas week saying the current winter milk scheme was ending, and you jasbt much time to decide because cows needed serving

It was the same last year. Letters sent out Christmas week saying the current winter milk scheme was ending, and you jasbt much time to decide because cows needed serving

It's glanbias biggest fault. Lack of communication with the farmer on the ground. These letters should have been sent out months ago. Think we are in year 3 or 4 of the uht scheme here and we have had no written communication from glanbia yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's glanbias biggest fault. Lack of communication with the farmer on the ground. These letters should have been sent out months ago.

I would reckon with the winter milk scheme it's fmp playing hard ball trying to get the best deal for farmers. The exit scheme is very good I would think

I would reckon with the winter milk scheme it's fmp playing hard ball trying to get the best deal for farmers. The exit scheme is very good I would think

We got a text in October I think saying a deal was done. It has taken this long to communicate with the producer

Had farm services man out today. They want to know by the end of December if you're exiting winter milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Had farm services man out today. They want to know by the end of December if you're exiting winter milk
    It's a good while since our presentation by fmp but I thought Feb was the date mentioned.
    Did anyone make it to Naas last night.

It's a good while since our presentation by fmp but I thought Feb was the date mentioned.
    Did anyone make it to Naas last night.

He said they'd like to know if you're exiting winter milk by the end of December. Was also going on about shares.... Deadline for them is next Friday

Be a good idea to ASK then
    If they want an answer...
    That's generally how it works

Anyone get the letter yet? Time is moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Anyone get the letter yet? Time is moving on

Letter in post this morning .
    Didn't study it v much .
    2 booklets and an exit form☺😯

• Advertisement

Just reading the small print in the booklets I got last week. In the event that the exit programme is over subscribed, exiting suppliers will be prioritised on a number of criteria. No mention of what the criteria are.... Also glanbia will compensate suppliers that have exited liquid milk production in 2016, 2017 and 2018. These suppliers can have transferred to creamery or retired. The exit compensation payment is €15/day litre. Didn't hear any mention of this previously. Also does anyone know what a seasonality premium is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Should yer milk managers or equivalent not be able to explain it?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Should yer milk managers or equivalent not be able to explain it?

Have been at a meeting and milk manager has been out. I only saw these points today when reading the booklet at dinner time.

The seasonality premium is the premier winter bonus
    It's a legacy scheme from the days of premier dairies
    It stems from when premier used sell it's surplus milk to what is now Diageo
    In the late 90"s it was fixed for every supplier in a reference year amount
    Anyone big into winter milk that year had all their surplus milk converted to the premier winter bonus so would since then have a large pool of milk in this aswell as a liquid contract supply
    These got the same premium as liquid contract

In the exit scheme if the premier bonus pool is higher than liquid you get paid on that but not both
    In the lmsa scheme your initial Autumn contract supply will be the sum of both which you can increase by 22.9%
    More dependent on enough exiting liquid
    That's my understanding
    Its a very very good scheme
    Kudos Glanbia

ANYONE thinking of restructuring should be aware that there won't be another one for at least 10 years it seems and you won't be able to trade your existing new contract EXCEPT to a family member if continuing in liquid and entering the lmsa

I hear exit agreements have came out topeople last week with much smaller figures than agreed with Glanbia . There's uproar about it and could sink the whole deal. It seems this years 2018/19 liquid milk payment before the exit has been deducted from the final figure, no explanation. Bear in mind lads have held off serving cows and will have no fresh cows now in the autumn, they must feel screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I hear exit agreements have came out topeople last week with much smaller figures than agreed with Glanbia . There's uproar about it and could sink the whole deal. It seems this years 2018/19 liquid milk payment before the exit has been deducted from the final figure, no explanation. Bear in mind lads have held off serving cows and will have no fresh cows now in the autumn, they must feel screwed...

Only posted mine yday ha.

It's not good
    Basically in the print outs given to all liquid producers,they added your normal January to October liquid payments onto the exit figure
    That shouldn't have been done as it amounted to 1000's or 10's of 1000's extra in the exit compensation total

Worse it was the figure some were told they'd get by the glanbia advisors without clarification because it wasn't even explained to the advisors properly

Worded by a non farming team,what would you expect?
    It's sh1t is hitting the fan at the moment and yeah it does have the potential to topple the scheme as some may back out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

As one neighbour said to me, it's glanbia there will be a sting!
    I didn't send in any form yet anyway!

visatorro wrote: »
    As one neighbour said to me, it's glanbia there will be a sting!
    I didn't send in any form yet anyway!

I am looking for my form at the minute:pac:

• Advertisement

Where do you post the form to? Local milk office? Can't find an envelope that might have come with it and can't see it written on any of the forms

Advertisement