Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

OSI wrote: »
    What are you doing with it?

Just gaming really. It's still performing well at that but like I said, i just have a bit of an itch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 7700K has worse thermals than the 6700K, essentially necessitating a delid.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The 7700K has worse thermals than the 6700K, essentially necessitating a delid.

Even with an AIO cooler or high end air cooler?

I get the feeling the last thing I need in my case is more heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

farna_boy wrote: »
    Even with an AIO cooler or high end air cooler?

I get the feeling the last thing I need in my case is more heat.

Mine sits comfy at ~25ish C @ idle, never found it particularly on the hot side at all (and that's sitting in an mitx build, inside a Core V1). It's cooled by a 130mm AIO.I know that's an idle temp, and measured by CAM, but the BIOS reports the same with a 1-2c variance.

7700k.png

I'd like to delid it and give it the liquid metal treatment, I'm just not confident enough in my abilities to do it right :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 7700K runs a lot hotter than the 6700K and there isn't much between them. I'd just get whichever is cheaper though 2nd hand ultimately.

Huge upgrade on an i5-6500 for games. Could also replace the ram with 2x8GB 3000Mhz.

You could sell your CPU/Board/RAM and pick up a Ryzen 2600X/B450M/16GB 3000Mhz, also an excellent upgrade and reasonably priced.

You would get a Ryzen 2600X + B450M new for similar to the cost of a 2nd hand i7-6700 or 7700 K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

The 7700K runs a lot hotter than the 6700K and there isn't much between them.

What's the best way of measuring temps under load/gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Inviere wrote: »
    What's the best way of measuring temps under load/gaming?

Best and most complete sensor readings:
    https://www.hwinfo.com/

Or use MSI Afterburner if you just want an overlay you can see while gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Having some more trouble with my lads PC, wondering what you all think. After the intermittent HD issues I posted about a while back that kind of just went away, its now having power issues. He can play for hours, shut it down and when he goes back to it it won't switch on. Usually killing power to it altogether at the wall socket for a while does the trick and it starts up again after a while. Its now started doing it from cold too, hasn't used it at all today and it wouldn't switch on. It started eventually but took a while of leaving it be. I'm thinking if it was the PSU it would never start so along with the previous HD issues I think the mobo might be on the way out.

Any ideas how to nail the fault down or ideas as to the most likely cause? Intermittent issues are a pain in the hoop to figure out. Its a few years old at this stage, an MSI z97s Krait mobo with a seasonic gold psu and a i5-4440 onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sounds more like a PSU issue, do you've a spare?

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do the PSU fans spin?

• Advertisement

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Tried replacing the PSU and that seemed to work for a while but it eventually returned. Finally narrowed it down to a loose wire/bad connector.

Might be worth check each connector is plugged in correctly first and checking that all the wire going into each connector aren't loose .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We can say that it's broadly 10% slower or whatever but that doesn't tell a proper story (from a gaming POV), as in some titles it's extremely close while others it's significantly behind, and as always, at the cost of using more power and generating more heat. There is a major lack of consistency head-to-head with the 2080/1080ti.

The cheapest VIII is £649, there are 2080's for £639 now. As a gaming card it doesn't really make any case for itself. RTX has more grunt, uses less power, has RTX novelty, and far more consistent, reliable performance across the board.

Obviously for other non-gaming tasks it has significant benefits, and I understand that it was never built with the intent of seizing any gaming performance crown....But I think some people were expecting more, though arguably it wasn't that realistic an expectation.

No UEFI support. Amateur stuff here from AMD. I say that as a fan. Shame.

Sounds more like a PSU issue, do you've a spare?

Only the one that's in my own PC. Maybe If I swap his for mine for a while and see what happens. Not sure his is big enough for my system though, can't remember the wattage. My system is a 6700k and a 1080. His is a 4440 and a 970. His is semi modular too and mine is fully modular so it'll mean rebuilding both. Don't want to mess up my own system either though!
    awec wrote: »
    Do the PSU fans spin?

Its one of those that doesn't spin until it needs to but the pc always starts eventually and then runs fine, it just can be cranky about when it starts.
    Had a similar problem a few years ago. Tried replacing the PSU and that seemed to work for a while but it eventually returned. Finally narrowed it down to a loose wire/bad connector.

Might be worth check each connector is plugged in correctly first and checking that all the wire going into each connector aren't loose .

I plan on stripping it completely and re building it as a first course of action. I'll check all the connectors and cabling when I do.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Saw something very similar last year,be fine when it started but sometimes had to be left for 24hrs to get it to start.

Corsair PSU was the culprit

Took it apart today as it won't start at all now. Did the paperclip test and tested for voltage out of the pins on the 24 pin connector and I've got nothing on any of them bar one 5v one. Bought in 2015 with a 5 year warranty so time for RMA!

Does anyone know if using single rank RAM instead of dual rank makes much of a difference?

Everything I have read so far seems to say dual rank gives better bandwidth but single rank give better timings and higher frequencies.

Does that mean that there is no real difference as the above effects just cancel each other out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Does anyone know if using single rank RAM instead of dual rank makes much of a difference?

Everything I have read so far seems to say dual rank gives better bandwidth but single rank give better timings and higher frequencies.

Does that mean that there is no real difference as the above effects just cancel each other out?

In general, dual rank is superior, but it does depend on your setup. Ryzen loves the extra bandwidth and so a massive difference is seen (or at least I recall from memory). Intel wasn't too fussed around the skylake timeframe, but I'm not sure about the new chips.

I think, and I'm thinking out loud here, that the better timings and higher frequencies can be attributed to overclocking a single stick, rather than trying to keep two in sync.

Edit: My mistake :)
    A quick google seems to suggest that it doesn't really make that much of a difference. You know enthusiasts. They'd be all over this if it actually mattered. I saw one comment saying that server people prefer dual ranked, because something about interleaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xenoronin wrote: »

I think, and I'm thinking out loud here, that the better timings and higher frequencies can be attributed to overclocking a single stick, rather than trying to keep two in sync.

Your mixing up channel and rank. Single rank and dual rank are different they are referring to how many chips are installed on each RAM stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    No UEFI support. Amateur stuff here from AMD. I say that as a fan. Shame.

Looks like it was a mistake, UEFI is on newer cards and a bios update is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looks like it was a mistake, UEFI is on newer cards and a bios update is available.

Thank christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just went from 60hz IPS (no sync) to 144hz IPS (freesync (gsync) ).

Nearly fell over with the difference. I'd sat the difference is moreso 60 - > 144hz
    (can't really tell if the freesync made any impact)

Buttery smooooth.

Anyone here play on a 32" Monitor? Thinking of upgrading from 27". 1440p btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone here play on a 32" Monitor? Thinking of upgrading from 27". 1440p btw.
    I'm on 27" 1440p and tbh it feels nearly too big already.

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

You'd want to be sitting AT LEAST half a meter from the screen at that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone gotten any of the Cable Mod cables? Was thinking of getting a set for my PC.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten any of the Cable Mod cables? Was thinking of getting a set for my PC.

I use Skakmods. Very good quality and cheaper than Cablemod.

I use Skakmods. Very good quality and cheaper than Cablemod.

Is it a full cable you get or just an extra part that clips to your current cable?

They do different one's. I have the extensions.

They do different one's. I have the extensions.

Great thanks. I'll have a look at those then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you have a 27" already, my suggestion for a step up would be a 32" ultrawide.

34" ultrawide 3840*1440p is a exact vertical height match to a 27" 1440p, helps with dual screen if you have space.

• Advertisement

If you have a 27" already, my suggestion for a step up would be a 32" ultrawide.

Don't think you can get a 32" Ultrawide. Had a 35" on my list but it's just too expensive.
    Think I'll stick with the 27" until it decides to die on me. Good few years hopefully.

Advertisement