Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The sun were just guessing the age I'd imagine.
    She turned 9 yesterday.

Bit strange that every single news outlet all had the wrong information on her

Not that it really matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

As much as I despise Cash and everything that she stands for with her entitled mentality, which is reinforced by Government policy, and irrespective of a degenerate mother putting pictures of her children on social media and using them in a disgusting way in order to get a free forever home for life paid by the workers/contributors of the country ............ is there any chance of leaving her kids out of the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

“You don’t plan to have so many kids, it just happens.”

Yep, you just wake up one afternoon and there they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Perhaps she doesnt know?

why are they given those if they place little value on education in the first place? Why do they need SNA?

I’ve seen your posts many times and if I were in charge of the bank account, you would get all of the funds that the travellers currently get.

All you want to do is educate yourself to the highest possible standard and get on with life like everyone else.

I wish you well

• Advertisement

Perhaps she doesnt know?

Sorry, I'm not with you (or with it today). She doesn't know what?

Sorry, I'm not with you (or with it today). She doesn't know what?

I was referring to the part in bold below.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Almost nobody (here or in the real world) who describes themselves as an employer, would hire a member of the travelling community.

The unempolyment problem doesn't just work one-way.

I had stated earlier in the thread that I invited a traveller for interview and he didn’t show. I do believe there are plenty of employers that would employ travellers given the chance but receiving an application from a traveller is rare.

I’ve had one application in many years of recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Kivaro wrote: »
    As much as I despise Cash and everything that she stands for with her entitled mentality, which is reinforced by Government policy, and irrespective of a degenerate mother putting pictures of her children on social media and using them in a disgusting way in order to get a free forever home for life paid by the workers/contributors of the country ............ is there any chance of leaving her kids out of the discussion?

I think you'll find that the correct term is childer.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the correct term is childer.

Or golden geese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Rex Tasteless Gutter

Dante7 wrote: »
    As always, education is the answer. Education and contraception to empower women is how it progresses. Be very careful of any organisation trying to tell you otherwise.

American researchers have come up with a basic formula for any child from a disadvantaged background who wants to advance into the middle class: Finish high school, get a full-time job, and wait until at least age 21 to get married and have children. People who do these basic things have a very good chance of escaping their background.

But look at how Travellers do on these metrics. Only about 8 percent of Traveller children complete secondary education, with the majority dropping out of school between the ages of 12 and 15. Only a small minority of Travellers have full-time jobs -- in fact, there are more adult male Travellers on disability allowance than there are in full-time employment. And many Travellers marry and have children while still in their teens themselves.

Margaret Cash is Exhibit A here. Left school at 12, married at 15, pregnant at 16, and a mother of seven by 27.

Anybody who genuinely cares about Travellers' well-being should be trying to stamp out traditions of early school-leaving, rampant unemployment, and girls getting married as young as 16.

Remarkably, though, people who criticize these aspects of Traveller culture are labelled racists and right-wing bigots. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If it’s Margaret cash that has won the euro millions, she might repay the taxpayer the high hundreds of thousands if not into the million, that she has cost the taxpayer of this country so far in her life!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If it’s Margaret cash that has won the euro millions, she might repay the taxpayer the high hundreds of thousands if not into the million, that she has cost the taxpayer of this country so far in her life!

Bono bought it in Dalkey.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Absolute BS. Travellers have 85% unemployment. Settled people have 5% unemployment. A disproportionate amount of your tax is being spent on travellers. A huge amount of that goes on Garda resources to tackle crime committed by them. The courts and legal aid eats up another fair bit. The government also throws huge amounts on trying to keep traveller kids in secondary school but they might as well be burning the money as the adults don't want the kids getting educated or mixing with settled kids beyond primary school. Meanwhile we have decent law abiding tax paying people who can't access resources for their kids because the services are too stretched. Away and sh!te with your virtue signalling.

Reduce welfare to parents unless the kids complete secondary education at least. Also don’t pay out welfare until someone has worked for minimum a year ...

Bono bought it in Dalkey.

I hope it was Denis O’Brien!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Reduce welfare to parents unless the kids complete secondary education at least. Also don’t pay out welfare until someone has worked for minimum a year ...

A logical idea but one that would get thrown out for being racist no doubt.

I had stated earlier in the thread that I invited a traveller for interview and he didn’t show. I do believe there are plenty of employers that would employ travellers given the chance but receiving an application from a traveller is rare.

I’ve had one application in many years of recruitment
    So... what you're implying here, and apparently have said or implied at least twice - is that we should take the word of some stranger on the internet, and his stated experience of travellers, and - what? Apply it to travellers generally?

I'm sure it's obvious to most people that this logic falls at a number of hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

American researchers have come up with a basic formula for any child from a disadvantaged background who wants to advance into the middle class: Finish high school, get a full-time job, and wait until at least age 21 to get married and have children. People who do these basic things have a very good chance of escaping their background.

But look at how Travellers do on these metrics. Only about 8 percent of Traveller children complete secondary education, with the majority dropping out of school between the ages of 12 and 15. Only a small minority of Travellers have full-time jobs -- in fact, there are more adult male Travellers on disability allowance than there are in full-time employment. And many Travellers marry and have children while still in their teens themselves.

Margaret Cash is Exhibit A here. Left school at 12, married at 15, pregnant at 16, and a mother of seven by 27.

Anybody who genuinely cares about Travellers' well-being should be trying to stamp out traditions of early school-leaving, rampant unemployment, and girls getting married as young as 16.

Remarkably, though, people who criticize these aspects of Traveller culture are labelled racists and right-wing bigots. It makes no sense.
    And they should stop marrying close relations

I wonder hoe many older users of this forum didn't stay in school until the age of 17 or 18?

I wonder if they ever ask themselves why that was? Were they being lazy and delinquent (almost certainly not), or was it a reflection of the culture and the financial pressures that they lived under, at that time? (Almost certainly the latter)

People can chew gum and walk straight. I am well aware that traveller children are born into a culture which doesn't fit well with our contemporary expectations of the minimal quality-of-life expectations mainstream society has for our children. But at the same time, I recognise that mainstream society is needlessly alienating and even demonising travellers for some of their most worthwhile traditions - such as living in an extended-family setting, an emphasis on outdoor life, being robust and resilient - many of the things that we lament as being missing from our own, settled (dare I say sedentary?) lives.

For all its faults, traveller kids growing up today probably have a quality of life that some users of this forum had in the 1960s and 1970s. That carries with is advantages as well as disadvantages. I daresay they have a happier childhood than a lot of housebound, suburban kids.

I wonder hoe many older users of this forum didn't stay in school until the age of 17 or 18?

I wonder if they ever ask themselves why that was? Were they being lazy and delinquent (almost certainly not), or was it a reflection of the culture and the financial pressures that they lived under, at that time? (Almost certainly the latter)

People can chew gum and walk straight. I am well aware that traveller children are born into a culture which doesn't fit well with our contemporary expectations of the minimal quality-of-life expectations mainstream society has for our children. But at the same time, I recognise that mainstream society is needlessly alienating and even demonising travellers for some of their most worthwhile traditions - such as living in an extended-family setting, an emphasis on outdoor life, being robust and resilient - many of the things that we lament as being missing from our own, settled (dare I say sedentary?) lives.

You should apply to Pavee Point as a PR Officer.

• Advertisement

And have to open my inbox every morning to shrill cries of "why aren't you condemning the people whom you were hired to support?!!!"

No thanks. I don't know what that person is paid, but it isn't enough.

Ha that would be funny

Some jems from a previous thread talking about Margaret
    That was a great speech in fairness. She should stand for election, I'd vote for her.
    She seems very driven, very energetic, articulate and she's standing up for the little guy.

Those are pretty good traits in a politician, in my book. You don't have to like her to think she'd be an effective politician.
    In fairness to her, not many politicians could deliver a speech like that even with notes. she reminds me of a young, female Michael D!

Margaret Cash for President, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For all its faults, traveller kids growing up today probably have a quality of life that some users of this forum had in the 1960s and 1970s. That carries with is advantages as well as disadvantages. I daresay they have a happier childhood than a lot of housebound, suburban kids.

Well for starters I'm aware off a good few older people who left school early. They either worked on a family farm or got construction work mainly in the UK.
    If they had families daddy went out to work and mammy stayed at home. There weren't big Communion dress and Waterford Crystal. They worked hard and they didn't rely on the state to fund everything for them whilst clocking up criminal convictions.
    If I spoke to older relatives. They'd tell you there was the odd thief when travellers came around but most of them were fine and they felt sorry for them being on the side of the road. When they travelled around they gave them work/etc often in exchange for food. It's a total different situation to the Magaret Cash one in my experience.
    No one cares if you have a large family or everybody lives together but the issue arises when you expect the state to pay for it. It's nothing to do with being in the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

American researchers have come up with a basic formula for any child from a disadvantaged background who wants to advance into the middle class:

Do you have the name of those research and the date of the study?
    I have JStor.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Ha that would be funny

Some jems from a previous thread talking about Margaret
    Just for the record - the MIchael D. one was sarcasm, as I explained at the time.

As for the others, I don't see the issue. Even to the most rabid anti-traveller bigot, they're hardly 'jems' [sic]

Three Simple Rules Poor Teens Should Follow to Join the Middle Class

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/three-simple-rules-poor-teens-should-follow-to-join-the-middle-class/

or

"The stat comes from a 2009 book by Haskins and Sawhill called Creating an Opportunity Society. Haskins and Sawhill analyzed income data from 2007 and broke down households based on whether the head of household followed three norms:

They work full-time.
    They graduated high school.
    They waited until they were married and at least 21 to have a child.
    They found that only 2 percent of persons in families that followed all three norms were poor, whereas 76 percent of persons in families that followed none were poor, and 73.8 percent of those who followed all three were at least middle-class:"

Conservatives love this deeply misleading factoid about poverty in America

https://www.vox.com/2015/7/24/9027195/haskins-sawhill-norms-marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Irrelevant, what are the percentage of settled people working versus the percentage of travellers working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Icsics wrote:
    And they should stop marrying close relations

But they find their first cousin so damn attractive.

Irrelevant, what are the percentage of settled people working versus the percentage of travellers working.
    Haven't researched this - I'd say there's an enormous differential.

What is the percentage of employers who would prefer to hire a settled, middle-class person over a traveller? Again, probably an enormous differential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Haven't researched this - I'd say there's an enormous differential.

What is the percentage of employers who would prefer to hire a settled, middle-class person over a traveller? Again, probably an enormous differential.

Just an example of high profile people Gavin Duffy and Sean Gallagher said during the presidential election and they'd gladly hire and live beside travellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement