Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite golfer ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah padraig is a legend but if I've an hour free to watch some golf then it's got to be McIlroy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Phil Mickelson. I always liked him and then he started winning me money in the bookies. When he won his first major I remember Butch Harmon saying he'd had to adopt his game and curb his attacking instincts. This may have been true but I don't think he did, years later he hit that shot from the pine needles on 13 at Augusta.

I agree. My favourite golfer of all time. He really should have had 10 majors by now. So many close calls. In terms of longevity of career and playing at highest level he will go down as one the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Padraig and Henrik.

When Stenson's on form his irons are a joy to watch. His win at the Open was one of my favourite rounds of golf ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Tiger and Stenson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

John Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Lee Buck Trevino
    He won six major championships and 29 PGA Tour events over the course of his career. He is one of only four players to twice win the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship. The only major that eluded him was the Masters Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Has to be Seve. Only him.

I did like Norman but I think people like him cause he choked quite a bit. A bit like Jimmy White. Sure a loser is very appealing in an endearing type of way.

Padraig cause he's Irish of course. I think he is infinitely more popular than McIlroy will ever be. McIlroy just isn't very likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Padraig
    Tiger
    Stenson
    Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Tiger.

Posted a day ago, a recap of his final round in Mount Juliet.

His swing was just majestic. The speed and the controlled power. Turn up the volume for this one, the sound from the pured blades is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ernie Els by a good stretch, what a swing but was always frustrated as even when in contention he never seemed to get much coverage.

Was an admired of Nick Faldo also, so meticulous and such consistency. Enjoyed one story where he’s only cut his fingernails so many days before a tournament to have the rights level of feeling in the finger tips.

Greg Norman gets a mention also, one of the best drivers of a ball with great power and speed and always so exciting to watch. The 96 Masters was one of the most exciting and agonising tournaments to watch in real time.

As an ambassador for the game in this country is has to be Padraig Harrington. Rarely if ever a bad word from fans and some great stories such as that in post #17 by Break80, one of my favourites was a minibus with down syndrome kids on board pulled up outside his gates and seeing Padraig outside practicing got a bit excited and boisterous. Hearing the noise Padraig went out to check and expecting to be told to keep it down or move it along they were instead invited in for a tour and to watch him practice. Seems to have great time for everybody and always with that smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Tiger and Phil just the 2 best golfers to watch on tv and the best entertainment for me.

i grew on the PGA tour so always had more of affinity with those guys then the european players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Not even close, Ho sung choi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Torn between Padraig and tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It'd be wrong not to say Tiger, he made the game compulsive viewing at his peak. And even now, there's an extra dimension when he's in the mix.

Other favourites, I liked Duval a lot, Payne Stewart and O Meara too, lot of time for Cabrera-Bello.

Padraig goes without saying, and Lowry too. I think a lot of younger Irish golfers would look up to him more than Harrington, he's very grounded, seems a regular guy with a lot of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mushy wrote: »
    It'd be wrong not to say Tiger, he made the game compulsive viewing at his peak. And even now, there's an extra dimension when he's in the mix.

Other favourites, I liked Duval a lot, Payne Stewart and O Meara too, lot of time for Cabrera-Bello.

Padraig goes without saying, and Lowry too. I think a lot of younger Irish golfers would look up to him more than Harrington, he's very grounded, seems a regular guy with a lot of talent.

I think Harrington became more of a character as he got older .

He basically trying so hard when younger he hadn't time to be a character.

He was always a complete gent and honest on a golf course.

Imagine Harrington banging club into a green . It wouldn't happen. Even at his lowest and he had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Tiger by far

I also like DJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Conno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Langer. 1991 Ryder Cup was one of the first tournaments I watched and felt bad for him after he holed 2 or 3 clutch putts but missed the one on the final green. Could have ruined a lot of players or at least set them back for a bit. Not Langer. The next week, he destroys the field on the European Tour. Astonishing mental strength.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Langer. 1991 Ryder Cup was one of the first tournaments I watched and felt bad for him after he holed 2 or 3 clutch putts but missed the one on the final green. Could have ruined a lot of players or at least set them back for a bit. Not Langer. The next week, he destroys the field on the European Tour. Astonishing mental strength.

Re the missed putt, he would have been able to repair the spike damage on his line if the rules were of this year, shame, the anguish on his face that day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sandy Lyle

I dont remember how or why I started following him, I think I just liked his name lol. But around the age of 5 or 6 I started following his results and him when he was on TV. My dad is a huge fan of Bernhard Langer and every week we'd be watching their scores on the paper to see who was on top (sadly it was langer more than lyle, lol) - It went on like that through the years for us and if we were getting to watch them on TV I would cheer every time Lyle did something good with a 2 fingers to my dad and he would do the same to me when Langer did it. It was great. I've loved Sandy ever since and of course he has hit one of the most iconic shots in golf, That bunker shot that sealed the 1988 Masters

Two close runners ups for me are Fred Couples and Sergio Garcia, but it'll always be Sandy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Payne Stewart was always my favourite and was gutted when he died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seve for his skill.
    Sergio for his Ryder Cup exuberance.
    Jimenez for a good laugh with his cigar warm-ups.
    Poulter because he’s half mad at times.
    DJ because he always looks as if he couldn’t give a s***.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Conno.

Blast from the past there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Angel Cabrera - ridiculously good swing, fast player, and didn't give a ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Stenson. From being near on broke to banking the Race to Dubai and the FedEx. Best of it all was his final round with Phil for his Major.
    Phil. Always aggressive and insane short game at times although that's on the wane the last few years.
    Was coming around again to Sergio after his long awaited major until that DQ in UAE.
    Was never a Tiger fan, though I tip my hat to his latest resurgence and wouldn't mind seeing him win another few majors.Just a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Tom Kite, hands down.

The Sugar Ray Leonard of Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Ian Poulter for his heart, determination, passion, drama and family values

Shane Lowry because he's a fellow BIFFO

Rickie cause I love orange

• Advertisement
Advertisement