Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Does anyone have to codes for the sun holidays or know where I can get them please?

Been running since January so availablilty may be limited

https://www.playpennies.com/family-holidays/sun-holiday-codes-collect-your-gbp-950-holiday-codes-here-169971

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭feedthegoat

Any reviews of the WB Yeats anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Has anyone been to Zoo des Sables d'Olonne?

Any tips? Cheaper to book online in advance?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

SusanC10 wrote: »
    It's been 3 years since we were at Puy du Fou but few tips below!

The times for the Shows change daily. The times for the following day come out at 5pm but only on the French version of the website. We downloaded the Timetable as well as a Map onto our phone so we could plan.

We managed 5 out of the 6 Main Shows and our favourites were the Romans, Birds, the Secret of the Lance and Vikings.

There are no water fountains there to refill water bottles.

More tips for Puy Du Fou from me:

1) Bring your own food (sambos etc). The queues at the various food huts dotted around the place can be ludicrous, and needless to say very expensive.

2) If you have smallish kids (< 6 yo) you can rent a buggy there. Lifesaver when the inevitable "I'm tired" sh*te starts from them after walking for 5 minutes inside the gate. Also useful for hanging your bags off etc. They are first come first serve, cost about a fiver, and expect to be asked for ID like passport or drivers license that they will hold onto in a folder until you return the buggy later in the day.

3) If your group includes females then try to be clever about toilet breaks, some of the toilets have ridiculous queues between shows, particularly in the vicinity of the show places (particularly the area up around Roman/Viking/Birds). Platinum tip : Look on the map for toilet blocks which are away from places where there are shows on within the next hour, or which have just finished up, they may be near empty/unused. Every time you see a toilet block that has no queue, make your kids go even if they say they don't need to.

4) It will be a long day if you have small kids. Don't overstress trying to cram in too many shows. Expect to see 3, be delighted if you see 4, be ecstatic if you somehow manage to see 5 (and fit in food break, toilet breaks, etc.). We saw Romans, Vikings, Birds, and King Arthur with a 4 year old, 6 year old, and 9 year old. I'm still not sure how we managed it, there were a couple of flash points of stress. You need to allow 30 mins of queuing before each show starts if you want to be guaranteed to get in, or to get a good seat/position.

Again, and as mentioned above.. food and toilets.. if you are queuing for either you are stressing out about missing the next show (or actually missing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

spockety wrote: »
    More tips for Puy Du Fou from me:

1) Bring your own food (sambos etc). The queues at the various food huts dotted around the place can be ludicrous, and needless to say very expensive.

2) If you have smallish kids (< 6 yo) you can rent a buggy there. Lifesaver when the inevitable "I'm tired" sh*te starts from them after walking for 5 minutes inside the gate. Also useful for hanging your bags off etc. They are first come first serve, cost about a fiver, and expect to be asked for ID like passport or drivers license that they will hold onto in a folder until you return the buggy later in the day.

3) If your group includes females then try to be clever about toilet breaks, some of the toilets have ridiculous queues between shows, particularly in the vicinity of the show places (particularly the area up around Roman/Viking/Birds). Platinum tip : Look on the map for toilet blocks which are away from places where there are shows on within the next hour, or which have just finished up, they may be near empty/unused. Every time you see a toilet block that has no queue, make your kids go even if they say they don't need to.

4) It will be a long day if you have small kids. Don't overstress trying to cram in too many shows. Expect to see 3, be delighted if you see 4, be ecstatic if you somehow manage to see 5 (and fit in food break, toilet breaks, etc.). We saw Romans, Vikings, Birds, and King Arthur with a 4 year old, 6 year old, and 9 year old. I'm still not sure how we managed it, there were a couple of flash points of stress. You need to allow 30 mins of queuing before each show starts if you want to be guaranteed to get in, or to get a good seat/position.

Again, and as mentioned above.. food and toilets.. if you are queuing for either you are stressing out about missing the next show (or actually missing it).

Thank you for that great info, we will be going with a 8, 6, 2 yr old kids, wud you think the value is there for seeing 3/4 shows or is a zoo etc more entertaining for them and return for buck..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Thank you for that great info, we will be going with a 8, 6, 2 yr old kids, wud you think the value is there for seeing 3/4 shows or is a zoo etc more entertaining for them and return for buck..

Definite value there, we're going back next Summer.

The shows are mind blowing, you will not have seen anything like it before, and the logistics and the scale of it are something else.

The 8 and 6 year olds will definitely be wowed. The 2 year old maybe not impressed so much, if anything might be a bit scared at some points by loud noises, deep voices from the sound systems, etc., but you can manage that.

There's also a playground and ice cream etc. there for the kiddies if all else fails.

I think to enjoy the day though, don't try to pack >5 shows in .. allow at least an hour between shows or you will find yourself stressed and frustated trucking around from show to show (potentially in hot weather). 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon should be achievable with small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

MorganIRL wrote: »

If you are travelking by caravan or campervan, the Park campsite is sbout a mile from the main gates.
    There are shuttle busses.
    Electric hook up is very limited, and there is no shop in the camp grounds.
    A little kiosk sells bread and milk for about 30 minutes each morning.
    The shows are incredible, the King Arthur one especially so with entire castles moving.
    Two smaller "walk through" shows we did were a WW1 trenches exhibit (perhaps not for the 2 year okd) and a "voyage of discovery" set in a sailing ship.
    The Roman ampithetre show was brillisnt too., and the "water ballet" and light show later as darkness falls was enjoyable.
    Lots of YouTube videos of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Personally I'll reserve judgement until I'm actually on it but here you go...
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/first-look-inside-the-w-b-yeats-irish-ferries-150m-cruise-ferry-37860334.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no children's play area is a surprise (though I always thought it was an accident waiting to happen with fat 12 year olds hurling themselves around alongside toddlers).

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

I was on it Holyhead Dublin on Friday last.First it did the basics very well, fast easy embarking /disembarking. There seems to be wider parking lanes on the car deck. Also no waiting for a ramp to go down a la Oscar Wilde.

The ship was basically empty. I walked all round (didnt like decor but thats personal) loads of seating and generally comfortable. I did not like the various stairs which are (IMO) narrower and steeper than the OW. I am 66 and not particularly good on stairs. I would not like to be on these stairs when the ship is busy . The OW main stairs is wider and divided so there are four handrails. WBY only has two.

Fancy restaurant closed. Boylans brasserie open . Food was poor....cold. Menu showed pizza but not available (got it in Cafe Lafayette). I had a bar to myself. same beer range as OW but a very poor selection.....nothing anyway crafty on draught or in bottle. Irish ferries bars never showcase Irish produce.

Didn't see cabins. Overall verdict c-. It is early days!

Funny Story!

Nice food server would not provide Calmari and chips cos Calmari is a starter! Quite happy to provide a Calmari starter and a bowl of chips! This was obviously playing by the instruction book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

loyatemu wrote: »
    no children's play area is a surprise (though I always thought it was an accident waiting to happen with fat 12 year olds hurling themselves around alongside toddlers).

I'm nearly certain there is a play area and a game room like the OW.

Not sure how to post links or if it will actually post but this is from the Irish ferries enthusiasts boards
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157676771367707

https://www.letelegramme.fr/economie/irish-ferries-le-w-b-yeats-trop-grand-pour-roscoff-20-12-2018-12167803.php

Gist is no Roscoff service(WB Yeats/Lates is too big for Roscoff)and OW for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

amor3 wrote: »

Not sure how to post links or if it will actually post but this is from the Irish ferries enthusiasts boards

I always felt that IF calling the padded room on the OW a play area was a bit of a stretch. There's a decent play area on the BF Pont Avenue though.

Apparently the PA is undergoing a full refit in Spain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

None of those pictures support a belief that there is a play area.

First Up wrote: »
    None of those pictures support a belief that there is a play area.

Sorry, might have posted wrong link, il check again..

Copied from cruisemapper.com won't let me copy a link:

Shipboard facilities and amenities

As facilities, the WB Yeats ship offers:

Boylan's Brasserie (self-service buffet restaurant) offers Breakfast Menu (served up to 11 am - cereals, yogurts, toasts, Children's Breakfast, Full House / bacon, egg, susage, hash brown, baked beans, pudding, tomato, tea and coffee), beverages (coffees, teas, hot chocolate, Coca Cola drinks, milk, fresh juice, wine by the glass), snacks (9-inch pizzas, salmon plate, cheese plate, baguettes, croissants, muffins, biscuits, fresh bread rolls, fruit scones). Lunch and Dinner Menu includes fresh-made soup of the day, meat dish (on select voyages), chicken dish, kids dish, Chef's Special, Fish & Chips, home-made beef pie, fresh-made sandwiches, salads, desserts, made-to-order vegetarian dishes. All the food is freshly prepared using finest local produce.A la carte Lady Gregory Restaurant offers fresh-made dishes prepared with locally sourced produce.Maud Gonne Bar Lounge offers a wide selection of beverages and casual snacks.Cafe Lafayette is the ship's Cafeteria (self-service snack bar / patisserie / Costa Coffee bar). Snack options include croissants, panini sandwiches, homemade muffins and scones, fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit smoothies, sweet crepes, pancakes, Belgian waffles, light refreshments. Quality barista style coffee is served onboard.Java Republic (specialty coffee and tea bar)Duty-free shopping mall consists of luxury boutiques, brand fashion shops and a convenience store selling travel essentials, gifts and souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, designer watches, jewelry and sunglasses, toys, gadgets and electronics.Free Wi-Fi (available shipwide)Reception Desk with adjacent Bureau de Change (ATM / cashier services)Seating lounge (with windows) is fitted with leather reclining seats. The lounge is air-conditioned, with a large TV. Blankets and pillows are available free of charge.The ship has two Cinemas (named "The Abbey" and "The Peacock"). Cinema tickets can be purchased at Reception Desk.Hazel Wood Quiet Lounge(exclusive) Truck Driver Lounge / Restaurant(exclusive) Club Class Lounge / Restaurant is available on ship's Dublin-Holyhead route only. It features great sea views as well as complimentary newspapers, drinks and snacks. The Club Class Lounge also offers benefits like reserved seating, priority boarding, and free Wifi. Crazy Jane's Games RoomSalley Gardens Kids RoomPets facilities.

Sorry, can't highlight it, but last line up there...

I wonder is the play area the arcade room??? Hope not it was a great area from the kids to empty the batteries before bed. :-)

I see the references to the "Salley Gardens play area" but the review in the Independent specifically said there isn't one.

Time will tell I suppose; for a ferry carrying families on holiday it would seem an obvious amenity.

She starts the France run in a few weeks, so I suppose everything will be open and operating then.
    Let us know, as we are booked in August.
    The play area on the OW was a bit of a free for all, as few observed the height rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

sceach16 wrote: »
    https://www.letelegramme.fr/economie/irish-ferries-le-w-b-yeats-trop-grand-pour-roscoff-20-12-2018-12167803.php

Gist is no Roscoff service(WB Yeats/Lates is too big for Roscoff)and OW for sale.

Brittany Ferries must be crying laughing at the antics of their competitor. For families going towards the vendee for instance the cork roscoff service is excellent. So far all IF has done is go from one media disaster to another. Imagine placing a mult-million euro order for a new ship which cannnot use one of your two ports in France. Genius,pure genius.

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote:
    Brittany Ferries must be crying laughing at the antics of their competitor. For families going towards the vendee for instance the cork roscoff service is excellent. So far all IF has done is go from one media disaster to another. Imagine placing a mult-million euro order for a new ship which cannnot use one of your two ports in France. Genius,pure genius.

Unless they had already decided to drop Roscoff.

Unless they had already decided to drop Roscoff.

Irish Ferries spent years and significant money and sought and got Irish Government assistance to get access to Roscoff. They eventually succeeded and are now dumping it. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

westgolf wrote: »

I do find it an odd commercial decision by IF to increase the capacity of their Ireland - France ferry whilst decreasing the market it can serve by which I mean those who need to go via Cherbourg will still be served by the WB Lates but many going to the north west coast or even the Vendee won't use Cherbourg and will go Cork - Roscoff with BF or not go at all.

Putting a higher capacity ferry on a lower volume route schedule seems nuts to me.

I do find it an odd commercial decision by IF to increase the capacity of their Ireland - France ferry whilst decreasing the market it can serve by which I mean those who need to go via Cherbourg will still be served by the WB Lates but many going to the north west coast or even the Vendee won't use Cherbourg and will go Cork - Roscoff with BF or not go at all.

Putting a higher capacity ferry on a lower volume route schedule seems nuts to me.

I'm going to Vendee in June, and gone with IF, mainly because the reports of the BF boat have said it is very basic, and with 3 kids IF have ticked the boxes until the above, possibly no kids area, if they don't have the area I'll defo be going with BF nxt time.

I'm guessing that freight traffic is driving this. Dublin - Cherbourg is a year round market and will bring a good chunk of business from NI. After Brexit this market will grow further. The family holiday market is profitable but its only two months a year.

I suspect IF have listened to freight customers and done their sums. Both Rosslare and Roscoff have been dropped to concentrate on where they see business growth.

MorganIRL wrote:
    I'm going to Vendee in June, and gone with IF, mainly because the reports of the BF boat have said it is very basic, and with 3 kids IF have ticked the boxes until the above, possibly no kids area, if they don't have the area I'll defo be going with BF nxt time.

The BF boat (the Pont Aven) is far from basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The BF boat (the Pont Aven) is far from basic.

Don't BF have another Boat - the Connemara which is more basic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Possible daft question (and possibly me falling for some office banter :o) --

Someone said to me the other day that bermuda/board style shorts are outlawed from the campsite pools in France - is there any truth in this at all?? :confused::confused:

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Possible daft question (and possibly me falling for some office banter :o) --

Someone said to me the other day that bermuda/board style shorts are outlawed from the campsite pools in France - is there any truth in this at all?? :confused::confused:

Not office banter at all.
    Quite a common rule.
    Speedo type togs are required in most pools
    Stops lost hairs clogging the pool filters I believe, and also prevents men wearing board shorts all day long, getting them dusty and sweaty and then launching into the pool with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Stops lost hairs clogging the pool filters I believe

I find this one a bit of a stretch as you don't need to wear swimming hats.

The rule is enforced in many of the campsite pools. Note that they don't generally have to be traditional budgie smuggler speedos but the shorts version are generally fine also.

Advertisement