Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong Cup 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Kilmokey wrote: »
    I was just pointing out that there is nothing in the rules to preclude you from playing your last round games /match or any other round for that matter in advance.

There's nothing in the rules to preclude you from *asking your opponents whether they agree with* playing your last round games /match or any other round for that matter in advance. Not quite the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Gonzaga A 7.5-0.5 Dun Laoghaire
    Gonzaga B 5.5-1.5 Blanchardstown (1 game to be played during the week)

Gonzaga B 6.5-1.5 Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Dun Laoghaire 4-3 Rathmines but we were a pawn up and looked like winning the last game so maybe 4-4. Not a good result for either team. In a "must win" situation for both teams I was very surprised to see early draw offers in some games and even more amazed that they were accepted.

D.L 4 v Rathmines 4 confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

League Final Day Changed
    26-Feb-2019
    Due to venue availability, the final day of the leagues has been moved to Sunday the 19th of May. Matches are allowed to be played in advance of this date by agreement of team captains.

I just notice this was posted on the LCU website a couple of days ago.
    From bad to worse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I assume that applies to all divisions? What is the venue?

Also that notice only shows up on the Chess League link - doesn't show up on the leinsterchess link.

Anyway, regarding playing matches in advance, I think only games that don't affect winning a division and promotion/relegation should be allowed to be played in advance of the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Clashing with ennis congress too. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Anyway, regarding playing matches in advance, I think only games that don't affect winning a division and promotion/relegation should be allowed to be played in advance of the date.
    I have to agree. The last round games are all played together for good reason.

mikhail wrote: »
    I have to agree. The last round games are all played together for good reason.
    Then they should be properly organised in a decent venue (ALSAA is a kip) and at an appropriate date, not two months after the penultimate game and not clashing with the Ennis Congress. Rathmines play Benildus in the last round, I see nothing wrong with playing the entire match in advance even if it does let our rivals see what they would need to avoid relegation. Post a score and be damned I say!!
    :P

Four matches this afternoon, all significant for either the runners-up spots or relegation, or both:

Gonzaga A v St Benildus
    Kilkenny v Elm Mount
    Dublin v Balbriggan
    Bray/Greystones v Gonzaga B.

Trinity play Blanchardstown on Monday to complete round 9.

• Advertisement

Four matches this afternoon, all significant for either the runners-up spots or relegation, or both:

Gonzaga A v St Benildus
    Kilkenny v Elm Mount
    Dublin v Balbriggan
    Bray/Greystones v Gonzaga B.

Trinity play Blanchardstown on Monday to complete round 9.
    Fingers crossed for big wins for Kilkenny, Balbriggan and Gonzaga "B"
    The other game is a formality.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Interesting to see Colm back playing for Bray today! It’s a real scramble at the bottom by all teams to avoid the drop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

sodacat11 wrote: »
    The other game is a formality.
    Maybe not quite. 3.5-3.5 with one to go

cdeb wrote: »

What I meant was that it will have no bearing on who wins the league, that was decided before a pawn was even moved back in September.
    The relegation battle is exciting though, I wonder how Dublin v Balbriggan is going?

Bray 2.5 Gonzaga B 5.5
    Very important points for Bray at the bottom of the league

Hmmm even with Bray fielding a very strong team they still lost 5.2-2.2. Gonzaza "B" imported Pein Jnr for the match.

Bray 2.5 Gonzaga B 5.5
    Very important points for Bray at the bottom of the league

Dublin 5 Balbriggan 3
    Even tighter now at the bottom;
    Over to Elm Mount now!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

R9: Kilkenny 3.5 - 4.5 Elm Mount

So really barring an 8-0 win against Balbriggan, Dún Laoghaire are gone. Their Heidenfeld team lost today, so it looks like they won't replace themselves either. They should be huge favourites for the Heidenfeld though, like when they last went down.

Other than that, it's still unclear. Current standings are -

Bray 9-32.5 - to play Trinity and Elm Mount
    Elm Mount 9- 32.5 - Blanch and Bray
    Balbriggan 9-32 - Dún Laoghaire and Gonzaga A
    Rathmines 9-31 - Gonzaga A and St Benildus
    Dublin 9-30 - Gonzaga B and Trinity
    Blanch 8-29.5 - Trinity, Elm Mount and Kilkenny

And one of those to go down. Rathmines have the hardest run-in, but Dublin's isn't easy either and they're effectively 1.5 points behind. Balbriggan need a decent result against Dún Laoghaire though cos they'll get very little off Gonzaga A on the last day.

• Advertisement

R9: Kilkenny 3.5 - 4.5 Elm Mount

Really impressive result for Elm Mount when they really needed it!

So really barring an 8-0 win against Balbriggan, Dún Laoghaire are gone. Their Heidenfeld team lost today, so it looks like they won't replace themselves either. They should be huge favourites for the Heidenfeld though, like when they last went down.

Other than that, it's still unclear. Current standings are -

Bray 9-32.5 - to play Trinity and Elm Mount
    Elm Mount 9- 32.5 - Blanch and Bray
    Balbriggan 9-32 - Dún Laoghaire and Gonzaga A
    Rathmines 9-31 - Gonzaga A and St Benildus
    Dublin 9-30 - Gonzaga B and Trinity
    Blanch 8-29.5 - Trinity, Elm Mount and Kilkenny

And one of those to go down. Rathmines have the hardest run-in, but Dublin's isn't easy either and they're effectively 1.5 points behind. Balbriggan need a decent result against Dún Laoghaire though cos they'll get very little off Gonzaga A on the last day.
    Dun Laoghaire won't be favourites for the Heidenfeld, whoever goes down with them will be. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a strong Gonzaga "C" and "D" knocking about somewhere too.

Gonzaga's third team is only in the O'Hanlon yet. Ennis next year

Probably right with eleventh being favourites alright. Though I think DL are stronger than anyone currently in the division

I don't like this business of clubs drafting in players for matches at the end of the league when they haven't played for them all season. Pein for Gonzaga "B" today, Stell Antoni last season for Gonzaga "A" etc etc,,,,,,Bray had Daly today but he has been a regular for them in the past so that is excusable. I wonder if Dublin or Elm Mount had any "ringers" today??

Gonzaga's third team is only in the O'Hanlon yet. Ennis next year

Probably right with eleventh being favourites alright. Though I think DL are stronger than anyone currently in the division

With such a strong “C” team to chose from, did they need to bring in Jonathan Pein on their B squad this round?

Is that a question to me or in general?

My feelings on stuff like that are well known after our game v Curragh last year :)

Last result in Gonzaga A v St Benildus?

To be played on Wednesday I think.

(Wasn't played today anyway)

To be played on Wednesday I think.

(Wasn't played today anyway)

So with Blanch & Trinity on 1.5-1.5, to be completed Monday, the true position is:

Gonzaga A 52.5 (1 to play)
    Gonzaga B 44.5
    St. Benildus 39.5 (1)
    Kilkenny 39
    Trinity 37 (5)
    Bray & Elm Mount 32.5
    Balbriggan 32
    Blanchardstown 31 (5)
    Rathmines 31
    Dublin 30
    Dun Laoghaire 20.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 undisputed

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I don't like this business of clubs drafting in players for matches at the end of the league when they haven't played for them all season. Pein for Gonzaga "B" today, Stell Antoni last season for Gonzaga "A" etc etc,,,,,,Bray had Daly today but he has been a regular for them in the past so that is excusable. I wonder if Dublin or Elm Mount had any "ringers" today??

It was a regular Elm Mount team with David on board 1

Advertisement