Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I'd be curious to know the specifics behind the decision. Wouldn't be surprised if its a case of flexing on either side what with the Disney streaming service around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Shame. Of all the the MCU Netflix shows, this was the easiest one to sit down and watch. Season 2 showed huge improvement in quality. It would have been nice to see what the team could have done with S3, off the back of a great S2.

I guess this show never really recovered from Bucks disastrous leadership from S1. Unfortunately one of the biggest problems with this was the casting of Finn Jones. S2 played to its strengths by shifting the focus away from Danny Rand and embraced its supporting characters. The guys in charge now obviously know what they are doing, it’s a shame they weren’t allowed to push on and see where they could take this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kerplun k wrote: »
    Shame. Of all the the MCU Netflix shows, this was the easiest one to sit down and watch. Season 2 showed huge improvement in quality. It would have been nice to see what the team could have done with S3, off the back of a great S2.

I guess this show never really recovered from Bucks disastrous leadership from S1. Unfortunately one of the biggest problems with this was the casting of Finn Jones. S2 played to its strengths by shifting the focus away from Danny Rand and embraced its supporting characters. The guys in charge now obviously know what they are doing, it’s a shame they weren’t allowed to push on and see where they could take this.

I'm hoping it's been cancelled for what most people actually want to see (instead of Luke Cage and Iron Fist series, Heroes for Hire and Daughters of the Dragon), which is more of a name change than an actual cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Disappointed because I was hoping for more luke and Danny. The only time they really work well is together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 2 showed a huge uptick in quality, but I guess it was always fighting a losing battle after a pretty terrible first Season, alongside the associated terrible reviews and word of mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One episode in on Daredevil 3 good start so far can't believe it's 2 and a half years since season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Was it that long??

I finished the catch up last night and caught half the first DD episode on the train in this morning (Iron Fist was only 10 episodes rather than the usual 13)

March 2016 it's a slow start I need to go out but all I want to do is keep watching

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Luke Cage cancelled now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Luke Cage cancelled now.

Really? To my mind it's not unexpected...it was the weakest of the entire franchise...
    season 2 was a downward trajectory.. whereas Iron Fist was heading upwards..... Jessica Jones will get season 3...but after that...who knows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I said in the other thread, I wish they'd just come out and cancel the lot at this stage. It's a shame, but the Netflix shows increasingly looked separate to the rest of the MCU and never properly 'belonged'. In fact they went out of their way to avoid referencing the cinematic universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm hoping that if it is a Disney pulling their stuff back move, that they keep the same grittiness to them and not Disneyfy them.

Hm.

Is Heroes for Hire more or less likely now? :D

EDIT:

These don't make it look like straight cancellations, tbf.

https://twitter.com/LukeCage/status/1053475986837200896
    https://twitter.com/MarvelIronFist/status/1050916987554095105

Seen a few saying the immortal iron fist will live on whether or not that is a play on words remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Imo, DD S3 is best so far. Luke Cage and Iron Fist have not watched S2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

A shame, though scarcely surprising given everything else going on; honestly though, none of the Netflix shows ever managed to be truly 'perfect'. They were good, sometimes brilliant, but quite flawed in places. Daredevil season 3 has been pretty strong to be fair.

It's plain as day they're going to cancel the whole stable of Marvel shows, so wish they'd just get on with announcing Punisher / Jessica Jones and just be done with it. Dragging things out serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah f**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

I'm glad I did not watch Punisher S2 or Jessica Jones. It seems likely that Disney will cancel both after the next season.

• Advertisement

The Punisher season 2 will arrive in January no date announced yet.

I'd expect it to be cancelled soon after it drops.

Lordy, an element of "why bother" in that; does make it seem like they should have waited til all the seasons came out before nuking the lot.

You would hope they could at the very least finish with a Defenders 2 before pulling the pull on the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pixelburp wrote: »
    Lordy, an element of "why bother" in that

PENNY AND DIME!

Whatever happens, it won't for another 2 years minimum: Variety notes that there's a clause in the Netflix-Marvel contract that prevents appearances in any non-Netflix production for 2 years after cancelation:
    Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. That means that “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” — which were all canceled this year at Netflix — could not come to the Disney streaming service until 2020 at the earliest.

There's still a Jessica Jones season 3 on the way next year, further pushing out any appearances by her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With the punisher I dont get the premise of this and these movies. There war veterans but it's the same world as superheroes and iron man etc and there's no mention in there group meetings about aliens/iron man/cap etc

Jessica Jones and the The Punisher finally confirmed as cancelled, as if there was any doubt once the other shows got the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I know this bump is going to annoy some expecting some news but I gave up on Season 2 of JJ after only 3 episodes when it was released initially, but due to boredom I completed it this week.

I'm on season 3 but I think I'm going to give up again because Trish has to be one of the worst and poorly conceived characters across the Netflix Marvel universe.

It's a shame because Ritter really is every bit the MVP of her own show but I can't take much more of Trish and Jeri.

Now that you mention it...

Hellcat shows up a bit in the She-Hulk comics, I wonder are Marvel considering using or recasting any of these characters. A lot of them have established relationships with already used cinematic characters (another one would be Jessica Jones and Cap Marvel). Decanonising the Netflix series must be on the cards in some cases.

• Advertisement

Pretty ignominious if the characters were written out of history. Bad enough the shows went out of their way to distance themselves from the MCU, and the giant alien invasion of New York itself; to recast the characters would be a shame. Especially as by and large they were on the money; Jones, Cage and Murdock specifically.

Advertisement