Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinking line recommendations

• 14-02-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, I normally rotate between a floating line and an intermediate line while fly fishing (Corrib). I usually use a weight 7 line. I was thinking of adding in a sinking line and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I was looking at Rio intouch deep lines. Im hoping that by adding the sinking line that I will give myself another option but want to be sure its not too similar to the intermediate line. Any advice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I wouldn't be coming here for advice it's mainly course fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

crusier wrote: »
    I wouldn't be coming here for advice it's mainly course fishing

Odd statement from someone with numerous game fishing posts on the forum, all replied to.

Regarding sinking line it depends on what you want to acheive with it, are you looking to drag the bottom by anchor or want something to get down fast while drifting? With drifting if you want to get down signifigantly more than the intermediate one you're talking about very fast sinking lines which are a right pain to cast. Might be easier to just use longer leader and lead core flies..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

viper123 wrote: »
    Odd statement from someone with numerous game fishing posts on the forum, all replied to.

Regarding sinking line it depends on what you want to acheive with it, are you looking to drag the bottom by anchor or want something to get down fast while drifting? With drifting if you want to get down signifigantly more than the intermediate one you're talking about very fast sinking lines which are a right pain to cast. Might be easier to just use longer leader and lead core flies..

Pain to cast and also on a fast drift they can go under the boat with the drag of the water. Intermediate probably the safest if wanting to get subsurface

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Sinking lines are a great tool early season, I usually fish a large minkie or a humongous on a di5 line.

You won’t go wrong with the Rio, some of the best lines on the market. If you’re a competent caster then they’re not difficult to use although they will tire you out.

The key is to cast a longer line than you would with a floater to give it time to sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Your arm would be hanging off after a day in a boat with a fast sinker. I took one in the ear trying to pull a fast sinker out of the water and haven't used it since so maybe I'm not the best judge.
    As a half way house, I use a fast intermediate with a sinking tip and flies with a bit of weight if I'm looking for depth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement