Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Serial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭dog_pig

steve_r wrote: »
    It's subjective but in essence I thought it was one-sided, that it presented a narrative of "Adnan is innocent-Jay is dodgy". I think Sarah Koenig tried to row back from that in the end but I definitely feel the early episodes are too biased. (I've no problem with bias once its open and declared and people know what they are getting into).

I felt it teased a big announcement/reveal at the end and then it never delivered.

It really ignored the victim of the crime and her family and the impact it had on them.

By contrast, I felt something like "West Cork" was much more impartial and removed - I think they handled Ian Bailey far better than SK handled Adan. They challenged and checked what he was saying on a fair basis and it just seemed far more objective to me.

West Cork was respectful and thoughtful towards Sophie's family which I felt was the right way to go.

Serial is a very well made podcast with a story told very well - just one I think has some flaws.

I don't necessarily think that Serial doesn't deserve any criticism whatsoever, but I wouldn't consider these huge issues. Especially given how influential Serial has been in the podcasts series genre. I think maybe the divergent natures of the respective cases has a bigger part to play than you're giving credit to.

Outside of West Cork, can you recommend other similar series that deal better with the types of issues you've outlined?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Serial season 3 drops this week. It’s poised to be even better than season 1.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/17/17869050/serial-season-3-preview-premiere-date

Starts with 2 episodes tomorrow.

The first 2 episodes just dropped. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Mr E wrote: »
    The first 2 episodes just dropped. :o

Was just debating with myself whether I should go for a long walk or not. There's that decision made. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Seems to be gone episodic, the first two could have been just an episodes of This American life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Enjoyed the first two episodes, the concept is very well executed, showing in a practical way how these cases pan out, and what "regular" cases say about how the system does and doesn't function.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought episode 1 was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I found the first two episodes interesting... but this season is not drawing me in. I'll give the third episode a listen when it comes out. If it's much the same as the first two, I won't continue with anymore. I have many other podcasts that I will enjoy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s such a marked departure from the first two series that it’s taking some getting used to. I’m not as gripped as I’d like to be, so it’ll probably be one of those series I listen to when there’s no updates on other ones I’m enjoying. Although I could listen to Sarah cite the phone book, I don’t really think the content of this one was what viewers were hoping for in a third season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well so far it is multiple orders of magnitude better than Season 2 which was very poor in my opinion. I enjoyed the first two episodes and I am sure there will be stories that will feature in more than one episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

I didn't particular like listening to Emmanuel but I'm a fan of the first 2 episodes. Its an interesting departure from the one case week by week formula but I've found both very interesting.

The CCTV from the bar scene in episode 1 can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=FtWnC9Dxnek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Anyone listened to episode 3 yet? I've listened to 1 and 2 but my fiance hasn't. Doing a road trip later and wondering if I can stick on 3 and if she'll need to have heard the first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Anyone listened to episode 3 yet? I've listened to 1 and 2 but my fiance hasn't. Doing a road trip later and wondering if I can stick on 3 and if she'll need to have heard the first 2.
    I listened to first half and it's about Police brutality, so I'd say you can stick it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

bren2001 wrote: »
    I didn't particular like listening to Emmanuel but I'm a fan of the first 2 episodes. Its an interesting departure from the one case week by week formula but I've found both very interesting.

The CCTV from the bar scene in episode 1 can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=FtWnC9Dxnek

Was that video from the 1980's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I listened to first half and it's about Police brutality, so I'd say you can stick it on.

I haven't listened to ep 3 yet but that was the case with ep 2 also, you could have listened without missing much by not hearing ep 1

....isn't this against the whole point of Serial being serialised?

What's the point of standalone episodes? That's just like anything else then. Disappointing

Season 2 was terrible because it was serialised. They dragged the arse out of it. I much prefer these standalone stories (with Cleveland as the thread that binds them). Sarah said that some of these cases will overlap, so stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mr E wrote: »
    Season 2 was terrible because it was serialised. They dragged the arse out of it. I much prefer these standalone stories (with Cleveland as the thread that binds them). Sarah said that some of these cases will overlap, so stick with it.

I disagree, season 2 had promise but wasn’t an interesting enough story to engage over multiple episodes, the problem wasn’t the serialisation it was the shoehorning of a story into that format that didn’t suit it.

It’s good she’s back in the legal system but the first season worked because it was obscure enough with just enough information to work as a serial story.

I’m all for standalones stories in other podcasts and This American Life already does that well...but the whole point of Serial is what she used to say in the intro - “One story told week-by-week”

That doesn’t sound like this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

8-10 wrote: »
    I disagree, season 2 had promise but wasn’t an interesting enough story to engage over multiple episodes, the problem wasn’t the serialisation it was the shoehorning of a story into that format that didn’t suit it.

It’s good she’s back in the legal system but the first season worked because it was obscure enough with just enough information to work as a serial story.

I’m all for standalones stories in other podcasts and This American Life already does that well...but the whole point of Serial is what she used to say in the intro - “One story told week-by-week”

That doesn’t sound like this season

It's "one courthouse told week-by-week" this season. Something different anyway sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Catching up on this now.

Perfectly well produced, researched and presented etc. but nothing out of the ordinary....basically a drawn out version of "This American Life" imho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've listened to the first three episodes of Season Three. Finding it excellent so far. The knotted logic of the courts and justice system would leave you scratching your head.

• Advertisement

Its an interesting season so far, I think, and good to hear about the real workings of the court system in the States. Nice change from the first two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

really enjoying the new season, first 4 have been excellent. the last one was brilliant listening, heartbreaking but brilliant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I've just finished all of Season 3 and I definitely think it is worth listening to. I think Sarah is good at getting these guys to talk, without necessarily believing everything they say.
    I found at the end of the season though that I thought the whole justice system is entirely and mindblowingly unfair.
    The concept of the snowball effect and the effect that misdemeanors have in the persons future life can be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

No new trial for Adnan Syed.

nc6000 wrote: »
    No new trial for Adnan Syed.

Saw that today. I'm in no way convinced that Syed is innocent, but the amount of reasonable doubt involved in that case is absolutely crazy, especially when you add the new evidence to what they originally had. The US justice system is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The US justice system is mental.

It's nothing to do with justice really, just revenue generation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby said an investigation now points to two other possible suspects.

On Wednesday, Mrs Mosby asked the courts to throw out Syed's February 2000 conviction and put him on trial again.

Former federal prosecutor Neama Rahmani, head of West Coast Trial Lawyers, said there is "almost no chance" Syed will face another trial considering how long he has been in prison, and the growing possibility he is innocent.

Mad!

Very interesting, especially the link to where the car was found.

• Advertisement

Advertisement