Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting power to closet via external conduit

• 08-02-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I have a cloakroom under the stairs that never got wired when the house was built. We have used a stick-on light in there but want something better.

A couple of electricians have taken a look and said the only solution is to drill out form the back of the fuse box by the back door and run a line about 5 m along the outside wall and drill into under the stairs. They have said it won't look great but if we want to do it no problem.

I know it's not ideal but some kind of conduit outside would not look to bad perhaps? Chasing outside and redoing plaster, etc, would be too much work.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there a socket near by you could take a fused spur off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There are more than likely other ways to run the cable, but would probably mean lifting floors or getting up / down the iniside of walls. Most electricans won’t do this as it could take 1/2 a day, lifting carpets, moving furniture, cracked floor boards etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That sounds like a ****e job tbh. They were all looking for quick in and out.

Tell them what you want and ask to price that work

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭boardtc

Is there a socket near by you could take a fused spur off.

Thanks for asking the question. I had another look. There is a hidden socket blocked by a coat rack currently. Standard 30cm over skirting in a corner, wall then turns and runs about 2m before turning 1m into the closet door, so 3m away total, block walls.

Maybe we could channel down to the skirting, pull the skirting out and run a cable behind to the closet, then route it up...not ideal re the skirting but might make for a better job than the external solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

boardtc wrote: »
    Thanks for asking the question. I had another look. There is a hidden socket blocked by a coat rack currently. Standard 30cm over skirting in a corner, wall then turns and runs about 2m before turning 1m into the closet door, so 3m away total, block walls.

Maybe we could channel down to the skirting, pull the skirting out and run a cable behind to the closet, then route it up...not ideal re the skirting but might make for a better job than the external solution!

Fused spur off it should be fine once cables are in good shape and it's working correctly as a socket as is now.

This could be your best option and no mess outside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement