Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting so long for smear results - anyone else?

• 26-01-2019 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well, as the title says really. I'm waiting over 7 months for smear results to come back and I'm in an awful state over the whole thing.
    I've searched Boards to see if there's a thread like this already, but I couldn't find anything.
    basically I'm wondering if anyone else is waiting this long, or have mine got lost somewhere? I've rang the 'helpline' a few times and all they can tell me is "You're being processed". I asked if that meant if it had been done, if there were results there, what was going on, but they just kept repeating "You're being processed"

I have read during the week about how at least 6,000 women are going to be called back for repeat smears because they were messed up and not checked for HPV and how many more were not tested within the 6 week limit so will also have to be re-tested.
    The wait for a colposcopy can be up to two months now.

I have a private smear booked for next week and I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not because I've read stuff about how you're out of the HSE system then and I'm worried in case anything comes back on that private smear, who is going to treat me/ Will the HSE refuse to?

I've had an awful lot of health problems in the last year including problem with my periods and I don't know whether or not this is all connected.

I know I'm not alone in this and there are thousands of women in the country who are feeling just as scared.

I'm just in an awful state over the whole thing. I'm terrified that when I finally get the results back, it will be too late to do anything.

TLDR: Waiting over 7 months for smear results. Terrified. Is anyone else waiting this long?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,744 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Where did you get your smear done? If it was with your GP contact them and ask them for your results and ask them to follow them up if they don't have them. If it was in a hospital, contact the hospital and ask them to follow it up. I had to go for a colposcopy at the end of June and I was told 10 weeks for the results, when I hadn't heard anything back in about 11 weeks I contacted the clinic secretary and she told me at that point they were only getting results back from the end of May tests, so mine would probably be another 3 or 4 week. And they did arrive then 3-4 weeks later, but at least I wasn't wondering were they lost somewhere. The secretary was able to tell me roughly what the delay was.

Contact where ever you got your smear done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a thread in The Ladies Lounge called "Ladygardening for Dummies" with a lot of people in the same boat, it's probably your best bet for support and reassurance.

I recently waited almost 6 months for smear results and will possibly be one of the 6k called back for a retest. If I am, I am, I don't really see the point in worrying about it. I know that's easy for me to say, given I've never had an abnormal result, but look at it from a stone-cold logical point of view - what is worrying about it going to achieve? Absolutely nothing. It's not going to change your outcome either way, so genuinely try not to let it get into your brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

You can blame Harris for this.
    He was warned the system couldnt cope with free retests and he went ahead anyway. Cervicalcheck is now a total mess and it was one of the success stories and it saved a lot of lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm currently in treatment for abnormal smears, had to do the retest after surgery in October and they told me even then I won't be having it back until at least 5 months later.
    So not even people that are currently treated for abnormal cells are having their smears checked any quicker.

I'm really sorry that you're affected by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That's very upsetting for you. It's awful to have a worry like this in the back of your mind the whole time. I was referred for review for breast screening by my gp in September due to some issues, and the appointment is not until April despite their website and literature stating 12 weeks max. I am very worried about this so I know the feeling. It seems our national screening systems are really struggling to cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Is it possible to go private for a quicker test? Or any method of quicker results?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn’t a Personal Issue per some, but rather a general medical issue. Moving to the Health Issues forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Hi OP.

Sorry to hear about your concerns over waiting for smear test results.

Firstly, without knowing anything about your personal situation I would advise speaking to your GP about this matter. They can give advice & reassurances based on your medical history. They could also do an examination which could tell them a lot, especially if you have been symptomatic. They are also well placed to make any enquiries & also expedite your smear analysis on your behalf if that is what's indicated.

I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the signs & symptoms of cervical cancer in the meantime.

If you see a Doctor privately or have some procedures or tests done privately, that will in no way affect your treatment if something shows up on tests or if you become unwell. It's actually pretty likely that samples collected privately will be analysed through the same system as the public service.

It would also be advisable to consider the HPV vaccine & whether you would be a suitable candidate for it.

Finally, although it is easier said than done, it is important not to panic too much about this delay. Cervical tissue changes that develop into cancer is quite a slow process which is why the smear & hpv test is highly effective.

Discuss your concerns with your GP is the best advice.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Firstly, without knowing anything about your personal situation I would advise speaking to your GP about this matter. They can give advice & reassurances based on your medical history. They could also do an examination which could tell them a lot, especially if you have been symptomatic. They are also well placed to make any enquiries & also expedite your smear analysis on your behalf if that is what's indicated.

Respectfully, this made up advice should reassure nobody. GPs cannot expedite smear analysis. GPs don't even find out which lab the smear has gone to until the result comes back.

I would suggest women unfortunate enough to be caught up in this mess contact their (preferably Fine Gael) TDs. This shambles resulted exclusively from Simon Harris's kneejerk moves and complete mishandling of the Cervical Check scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Respectfully, this made up advice should reassure nobody. GPs cannot expedite smear analysis. GPs don't even find out which lab the smear has gone to until the result comes back.

I would suggest women unfortunate enough to be caught up in this mess contact their (preferably Fine Gael) TDs. This shambles resulted exclusively from Simon Harris's kneejerk moves and complete mishandling of the Cervical Check scandal.

Unfortunately my significant other has been involved in this overall cervical check debacle & I can tell you from experience that approaching any TD or politician from any party will most certainly get you nowhere.

My advice is far from made up. The OP is concerned for her health. Her GP is best placed to help her. By considering her medical history & examination, the GP will escalate her care as necessary. If the GP cannot do this, she needs a new GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Rubbish
    Your GP has no control.over how quickly your smear is processed. And is not cable of escalating anything.
    Regarding your smear. . It is widely published in the media 're backlog of smear test results. I think your anxiety levels are unnecessarily high and you need to address that. Your smear result is probably late because there is a Backlog. If you have symptoms e.g. bleeding after sex, then attend your GP for an opinion. If you want a private smear then go for it. No it will not exclude you from the HSE system. But worrying about it is not going to help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

OP unfortunately no one but the lab it was sent to can tell you what stage your sample is at or explain the delay. At 7 months my guess would either be that it's stuck in a backlog or lost.
    If abnormalities were detected you should get results back sooner rather than delayed (but we now know sadly that that's not how the cervical screening service works)
    Since you said that you've been having other symptoms I would advise going to your GP and discussing the whole thing.

Everyone should definitely be talking to their TDs. No TD alone can fix this, FG or not, but it's an ongoing issue. It's not going away despite the Ministers best attempts and playing politics with people's health.
    Your TDs are elected by you. If they don't act on your behalf do not vote for them again (they can't get your results out of the lab but they can contribute to discussions on topics). Tell them that you will not vote for them again. And follow through on election day - leave their box completely empty.

If you're waiting longer than published for something write to the organisations involved. Many, especially state organisations, won't do anything until complaints start coming in. If you don't get a satisfactory response, complain to the next layer up e.g. in this case the NCSS (national cancer screening service)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

boxer.fan wrote: »
    My advice is far from made up. The OP is concerned for her health. Her GP is best placed to help her. By considering her medical history & examination, the GP will escalate her care as necessary. If the GP cannot do this, she needs a new GP.

Cervical smears are a screening test and in a primary care setting are used only from screening purposes in a woman who has no symptoms. Colposcopy clinics do their annual or 6 monthly smears which is a slightly different kettle of fish (and they DO know which lab their smears tends to go to).

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s case but with all due respect, if I’m sitting there with an asymptomatic woman whose smear result is delayed, are you suggesting she be referred to a gynaecologist or some other course of action?

With regard to speaking to TDs, it was a group of politicians whose actions caused this mess (outsourcing of smear analysis to another continent, then free smears for all without justification nor resources to process them). I remain firm in my belief that heat be directed towards them.

Advertisement