Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on encouraging interest in Maths

• 13-12-2018 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could offer advice on how to encourage our son's interest in maths.

Our son is in 2nd class and seems to be doing really well academically, and particularly in maths. I'm not saying he is a genius or gifted, or anything like that, but he finds the 2nd class curriculum easy enough, without putting too much effort in to it. He also loves doing "older kids" sums, and asks me to give him tests so that he can solve it.

Naturally, we are delighted with his interest and enthusiasm. My question is probably for the teachers, but can anyone recommend some math puzzle books that we can get, to encourage this interest? I don't want to be contradicting how it is taught in school either, because it might do more harm than good. Also, I assume the way maths and other subjects are taught these days may be different to the way it was taught to us.

Anyway, I will follow up with his teacher too on this, but she is off getting married and wont be back until the new year, so maybe in the mean time, if anyone can offer some advice and maybe suggest some books that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you looked in to CTYI?
    my kids like games that they need to apply their maths knowledge too without realising that is what they are doing.
    If he likes baking it is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Meursault

Hi Moonbeam, I never even thought of that to be honest. I was thinking more over christmas, if he was ever bored! Im not sure what the standards with CTYI, but it would probably be best to check with his teacher first, I guess, to determine whether he is suitable for somethin g like CTYI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Give him a reason to like maths. Space, program on scratch, engineering, bridges, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Meursault

Lantus wrote: »
    Give him a reason to like maths. Space, program on scratch, engineering, bridges, etc.

He already loves maths Lantus (and all the things you mentioned). I am trying to figure out what I can do to further encourage his interest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you come across Sumdog?You need to sign up to it, but there are plenty free games too.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/puzzles/ is worth a look.

Cogs the Brain Shop have some great board games.

Has he come across Sudoko?

The Brain Box games are good fun too, not just the maths ones. There are different levels too.
    https://www.abcschoolsupplies.ie/brainbox-maths?search=brainbox&category_id=0

• Advertisement
Advertisement