Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don't clubs advertise prices?

• 25-10-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm curious about why MMA and BJJ schools don't advertise their prices?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced school but all most sites offer is the mention of a free trial. Is there any really obvious reason why prices are so secretive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Hi all.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced school but all most sites offer is the mention of a free trial. Is there any really obvious reason why prices are so secretive?

redundant sales tactic. where about are ye? and what schools are you looking at, would prob be able give you ballpark figures for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Dave 101 wrote: »
    redundant sales tactic. where about are ye? and what schools are you looking at, would prob be able give you ballpark figures for most.

North Dublin, but studying in city centre. I've been in a couple of schools before but as a broke PhD student now, I'm kinda shopping around to see are any affordable.

cheapest in city centre will be Fantom on moore street, 60 euro for 3 classes per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dave 101 wrote: »
    cheapest in city centre will be Fantom on moore street, 60 euro for 3 classes per week

Is that €60 per month for three classes a week?.

Is that €60 per month for three classes a week?.

Looks to be from their Facebook page. That might do the job, price wise! And I've trained under Phil Whyte before and he's tremendous. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Looks to be from their Facebook page. That might do the job, price wise! And I've trained under Phil Whyte before and he's tremendous. Cheers!

Ye 60 per month for 3 classes per week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Hi all.

Honestly, i would imagine most clubs dont advertise their prices for 2 reasons:

1) because most BJJ/MMA clubs are up to 100 euro or more per month which would put a lot of people off

2) people have to contact you to enquire about prices if you dont advertise them, at which point you can tell them to come in for trial classes etc and they are more likely to sign up once theyre in the door

I know Jungle BJJ were 60 quid a month when i trained there and its an awesome bunch of people so id give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Like Chairman-Meow said, I think it's a tactic to get people in contact with you, then you can start selling. Seems to come from the way things were done in the US.

Since we started posting our prices online the numbers of enquiries doesn't seem to have dropped much if at all.

http://rga.ie/memberships/

dardis wrote: »
    Like Chairman-Meow said, I think it's a tactic to get people in contact with you, then you can start selling. Seems to come from the way things were done in the US.

Since we started posting our prices online the numbers of enquiries doesn't seem to have dropped much if at all.

Have to say, fair play on advertising prices.

My own feeling on it is, if you don't want to say how much membership is, you know you're charging too much.

Unfortunately RGA is a bit too far from me to be an option, but thank you for letting me know!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

dardis wrote: »

The approach you've taken would make me more likely to get in contact, not less. I see it as more transparent, more up front.

When prices for any product - whether it's a gym membership or something else - are not listed then I'm less likely to make contact unless I have no other options... I just hate getting the "hard sell".

From a sales perspective I'm sure it's effective on some people, people who don't like saying 'no', for example. But there must be a downside to it even in business terms... I bet cancellations, absenteeism and drop-outs are high. In fairness, I think that's part of the business model of some conventional gyms... But I wouldn't think it's a good way to build a BJJ team.

Unrelated, but on the 60 euro per month pricing, and whether it's good value at 3 classes per week... I think it might be the case that there are other city centre gyms with morning or evening only memberships that are better value than that if you were going to do more than 3 classes per week...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the price isn't there I just assume it's higher than I'd like and leave it. This is whether it's a product or a service. I'd say the main reason is that these places had to pay someone else to make the website for them. If they put a price on it and then at a later stage change the price, they have to pay someone to change it for them. It's just easier for them not to show it on the website. Saying that, if that is the reason, they should really put it up on their facebook page which none of them seem to do.

Advertisement