Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Spotting / Shopping Thread!

• 27-12-2014 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Edit: Where any online or specialty retailers are mentioned in this thread,
    the onus is on the buyer to determine how fair their pricing and customer service is.

That said, i've found the two UK based sites below to be pretty reliable.

You can shave a little off postage cost by using Parcel Motel, their prices are generally at least comparative with local sources, and there's no customs grief because they're in the EU (for the moment anyway)

www.Tfs-express.com

www.kapowtoys.co.uk

Note: Images will be removed 2 months after they're posted. This is to reduce clutter/bandwidth.

So with all the new bits coming into stores. It might be handy to start up this thread again.

If the Fat man didn't fill your robot Fix. Then check out Your local Tesco for these sets on post christmas sale.

€30 for the 2 pack.

And the Kero pack is €15.

And Smyths has been getting in parts of RiD lines as well as Combiner wars. Which is great to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Good shout on the thread.

Has Smyths got the COmbiner Wars deluxes in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Seen Voyagers and Scout class figures in Symths Blanchardstown.

I think Dublin city comics and collectables may have some in I know I they put up this pic.

You can give them a shout on FB and they'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

They look very cool in combined form!

Cheers!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Jayd0g wrote: »

Has Smyths got the COmbiner Wars deluxes in yet?

They have.

If you don't see them on the shelves, look for them on the rack above.. The shipping case should be easy to spot. The odd time someone may come in and buy multiples for whatever reason.

I can't see myself getting Multiples of this line. Althou of any of the ones that shift into Guns are really really cool. Then I may pick em up just so I can have a Gunslinger Bot.

Just cause they are a nice sized weapon based on Powerglide.

• Advertisement

Smyths Blanch had these on the shelf today.

And not sure If this is a different Snarl to what's been on the shelves beforehand. But the colours look different to what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

smyths in tallaght is the same.

even seen a combiners war optimus prime (going for 28.99). though admitedly just the one

gotta say had given up going in lately so was surprised to see the RID and combiners stuff out already. ida sworn it'd be summer before they'd hit the shelves. particularly considering how fecking loooooong it took for the rest of the AOE figures to come out.

speaking of which theyve got those age of extiction snarls and slashes in stock too . i still cant stand the"action move" stuff perfering a bog standard deluxe figure but i have to admit that snarl is pretty damn cool looking.

im not a fan of this 3 step transformation thing. it just seems TOO basic. always makes me think its weird that a legion/commander class toy is better than something larger than a voyager in terms of transformation and posing.

speaking of which theres loads of that class of RID grimlock which looks pretty cool . good to see the big grim get such a push. was surprised that theres waaaay more of him in this wave than bumblebee from what i can see.

Dublin City comics and Collectables had a full compliment of ladies in stock.

Only picked up Arcee and Rattrap thou.

She's very nice for poses.
    But her Hands irk me lots.

Will pick up Chromia and possibly Windblade next week. But not a fan of her Book so far.
    Then it's all back to Waspinators for a party!

Dublin city comics and Collectables got back in a restock of figures.

As well as this little Book. If you are a Joe fan it's a nice coffee table book to pick up.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Dublin city comics and Collectables got back in a restock of figures.

I see some Voyagers there that are year old or more, i trust they're priced accordingly?

Edit: Come to think of it, aren't those FOC Voyagers from TWO years ago?

• Advertisement

Keyword there being "Restock". Which are figures they've had on the shelf that have come back in again.

And I for one look forward to getting my mitts on Springer this Wednesday!

Missed out on him last time I had money to spend on Robots.

They've also got these 3 piece stands for figures going for €5. Which can add a lot of fun to your shelves.
    Comes with choice of grabbing claws and Pegs for those figures with holes.

ChopShop wrote: »
    I see some Voyagers there that are year old or more, i trust they're priced accordingly?
    And what would you class as accordingly for figures that are a year old or more?
    Cause in my experience the older it is the more expensive it should be.

Par Example:
    This figure from the Revenge of the fallen movie is apparently worth near $700 if you are willing to pay it. Gawds speed.
    But I wouldn't! And that's like 6 years old.
    http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Movie-Leader-Command-Megatron/dp/B00359YHES/ref=sr_1_18?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1421107620&sr=1-18&keywords=transformers

And what would you class as accordingly for figures that are a year old or more?

Most of those are worth about local US retail at the current exchange rate. Exceptions being the Takara version of Blitzwing, Brainstorm because it's relatively new. They made an avalanche of Springer and Whirl, and if you're not fussed about boxes, have a little patience, you can pick up Whirl for less than half that. I do believe i got both versions of Roadbuster for less than 30 shipped, for the two, and yes they were both fine.

BBTS currently have Springer for $17.00

Maybe you should provide pricing info on the above restocks?

Cause in my experience the older it is the more expensive it should be.

I don't believe you automatically equate age with value. But some do, which is why they may pay well over the odds for something, thinking that because they can't find it in any great supply locally, it must be rare. Panic buying results. Nothing in the above restock is 'rare' or even 'hot'. Shadow Command Megatron...That was a funny one. Tail-end ROTF toy,(relatively short production run?) new voice samples (?) a deco less drab than the first ROTF Leader Megatron...It was fetching decent money for a while. Anything like $700? Not sure. I think that vendor is chancing their arm. But just cause someone will pay a certain amount for something doesn't mean it's necessarily right to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

I really want that Brainstorm and I really want to encourage sales in Ireland but he's pretty expensive at €40 -although, there is something to be said for walking into a shop and walking out with the product you want. It's very rare for transformers fans in Ireland.

Those stands look like great value though.

Priced between €20 and €50 euro depending on what you're after.

And the Joy of this Capitalist world of comics /toys and Misc. We live in is no one is forced to buy anything from anyone unless they are happy to part with the cash. It's not like any of the products are essentials. (Even if they feel like it sometimes)
    I'm not a fan of buying on line in general as I've had a few casualties both bots and other. Sure only before Christmas the wife got me a tablet. Thing arrive broken. Still waiting on replacement. Never had an issue with the lads and returning broken items.

But mostly I'm a firm believer is supporting the local resources. Which is why I buy comics from the big bang, toys from DCC And my gaming bits from Gamersworld. As they all offer services beyond. Here buy our stuff. Which is great.

AxlF wrote: »

They are. Come in clear and Black. Are modular with the aid of a screwdriver.

AxlF wrote: »
    I really want that Brainstorm and I really want to encourage sales in Ireland but he's pretty expensive at €40 -although, there is something to be said for walking into a shop and walking out with the product you want. It's very rare for transformers fans in Ireland.

Truth be told, i can get the Takara version for less than that. Shipped.
    And if i can do that, i'm pretty sure i can on the Hasbro one too.

And the Joy of this Capitalist world of comics /toys and Misc. We live in is no one is forced to buy anything from anyone unless they are happy to part with the cash..

Some truth in that. But if people live in a place where things aren't very readily available, they may not understand the full range of their options.
    Maybe you've got clods working in your local sorting office, maybe you pissed off the toy-fairy, but after 100s of packages from all over the globe..I don't think i've actually had anything get *lost* although the odd thing may get held up somewhere. Replacements, most of the usual suspect online dealers will fix a problem for you. They have to. It's competitive. Which comes back to what i said to AxlF about Brainstorm.

Yep - I can get Brainstorm and DoubleDealer online for the same price as that Brainstorm - delivery is another 10 but getting to Dublin City Centre by public transport or parking your car isn't much cheaper.

I just have a yearning to shop there as it is a really great shop and I want to support it but at some point you just have to think - hey, this isn't great value.
    (That's what my wife thinks for EVERY transformer I buy anyway)

Which is grand if that's what you'd rather do. To each their own.
    I find it great value. But then I avail of the other services. So they've earned my loyalty much like any shop I visit.
    The geekeasy is a wonderful resource I would have bludgeoned someone for in my youth. Much the same with gamersworld and the playing tables. So I get more out of it than just buying item A, B or C.

You try getting the Christy experience online

But back to the reason for the thread.
    And the current run makes it to Argos new album. For those without a toyshop to hand.

Which is grand if that's what you'd rather do.

If people are aware of what their options actually are.

Well if they haven't gotten that from 2 pages of you pointing it out.
    Then it's probably best to leave them to their own devices.
    Some folks don't take the hints.

Are we permitted to share links form Adverts on here?
    It's not mine. But I figure it may interest some bodies here.

• Advertisement

Well if they haven't gotten that from 2 pages of you pointing it out.
    Then it's probably best to leave them to their own devices.
    Some folks don't take the hints.

After multiple pictures of DCC shelves, people may start to wonder if they have any other options where items not handled by Hasbro UK are concerned.

If we can advertise retailers, i would've thought Adverts is ok?

I've no idea what you are talking about and I'm interested...

Wasn't sure what Boards policy was.

But for fans of the kreo figures.
    http://www.adverts.ie/lego-building-toys/brand-new-transformers-kre-o-set/7230112
    Not a bad price. And if I didn't have shockwave already I totally would have picked it up.

Also for the fans of mail order.
    Guess who's currently shipping to Ireland.
    10891766_10155152910065437_7009819055927593784_n.jpg?oh=417c20c0c81e83afca3a0ff012419e92&oe=555DC8BC&__gda__=1433124104_e66158f7fc29492f429f14da256cb1b2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How did you get those that cheap?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Grimlock is out of stock for delivery for me

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Arquinsiel

Where can you manage that? I'd be interested in saving some money but anytime I look at the online dealers and take shipping into account it ends up not being worth the hassle compared to just buying it in DCC. And that's not even beginning to worry about the dreaded revenue...

So yeah, cheap sources of toys online would be nice. Please share.

Arquinsiel wrote: »

Amazon, Amiami, Anime Export, Robotkingdom altho on the last one buying multiples offsets their slightly suspect shipping charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Arquinsiel

Amazon, Amiami, Anime Export, Robotkingdom altho on the last one buying multiples offsets their slightly suspect shipping charges.
    Amazon is not what I'd call "cheap" what with the bot-driven price brinksmanship. Anime Export seems to have "(Sold Out)" in front of everything that doesn't have "(Preorder)" in front of it plus looking at their list priced I'd save a whole euro before shipping on Voyagers. AmiAmi just does Takara releases by the looks of things. Robotkingdom looks decently priced for here but above retail for the US. How is their shipping suspect? The weird returns policy? They don't really make it clear what you can expect to pay before you hit checkout.

Amazon is not what I'd call "cheap" what with the bot-driven price brinksmanship. Anime Export seems to have "(Sold Out)" in front of everything that doesn't have "(Preorder)" in front of it plus looking at their list priced I'd save a whole euro before shipping on Voyagers. AmiAmi just does Takara releases by the looks of things. Robotkingdom looks decently priced for here but above retail for the US. How is their shipping suspect? The weird returns policy? They don't really make it clear what you can expect to pay before you hit checkout.

Amazon won't get you a deal 'every single time'. If you're only saving a euro, you're doing something different from me, but if a person is the type who say likes to pick up a couple of Cyberverse figures for a euro, then they're probably used to shopping around... and part of that is the fact that yes you do have to be quick with some Japanese dealers.

Last time i used Robotkingdom they made it very very clear what the shipping charges would be before i committed to anything. In that case it actually worked out to be competitive because it was one medium size item. Larger items, combined shipping, then i start to doubt, can't prove, there is a creative element to their shipping calculator.

• Advertisement

Takara Brainstorm can be pre-ordered today for under 40 Euro on AmiAmi which is what you originally asked about.

The toy is 24. The shipping is not calculated until it is released but based on my experiences with this store or HobbySearch, the shipping for a Voyager will be less than 15 quid for EMS - cheaper, and slower, for standard airmail. The Yen is in the pits right now, even compared to the Euro so the prices are really good.

Personally, I use lots of different places. Sometimes the waiting is a killer but most times the price and choice makes it worthwhile.
    I used Amazon a lot until they started to charge for import tax at the check-out regardless of the items value. But, I have family over there and if we are planning a visit I usually go mad having everything shipped to California and bringing home myself. Other than that, Amazon has fallen to the wayside a bit.

BBTS is very good for prices and while shipping an individual item is expensive, the Pile of Loot option allows you to build up a stack of things over a few months and ship together which really makes things worthwhile. I've also never been hit for VAT charges from these guys despite some substantial sized boxes - not that BBTS are responsible for that.

I bought 2 Ultra Magnuses from AnimeExport for a total of approx 205 Euro which included delivery. Mind you I pre-ordered them last April and got a large discount for it and I've possibly picked the slowest ever postal service. They are currently sitting in Parcel Motel - I'm waiting to hear if there has been a VAT bill. There wasn't any for the Takara Jetfire.

For most of my KO and Third Party I use the various different shops on AliExpress - most have free (but slow) shipping to Ireland. Again, I managed to get Citizen Stack without any import charge as well as lots of other add-ons and KOs. One thing about Stack - I did not know he was in DCC. I paid 125 Euro to get him here and I think DCC had him for 150. If I'd known that before ordering, I probably would have gone to DCC but I'm not on facebook to get alerts.

If I am worried about import fees for something big, like Metroplex, I'll stick to UK retailers and use Parcel Motel - using Toys'r'Us, Kapow and OmegaLock have all been fairly successful transactions for me so far.

Finally, good ol' Ebay. Although a lot of Americans have signed up to this weird shipping arrangement which taxes the buyer a large amount regardless of the actual cost of the item, there are still a lot of sellers worldwide that you can make a great purchase from.

Advertisement