Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sistema Rice Steamer - HomeStore+More - €7.49

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Nice find, £7.99 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Had one of these but thought it was crap. It feels cheap and the plastic stains very easily.

I've tried a good few microwave rice steamers but never liked any until I bought the Joseph Joseph one from Amazon when it was on sale. It's without a doubt the best one you can buy.

I got it on sale for £8 in March if anyone wants to add a price alert.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012W9BI2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Oat23 wrote: »
    Had one of these but thought it was crap. It feels cheap and the plastic stains very easily.

I've tried a good few microwave rice steamers but never liked any until I bought the Joseph Joseph one from Amazon when it was on sale. It's without a doubt the best one you can buy.

I got it on sale for £8 in March if anyone wants to add a price alert.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012W9BI2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the interest of balance, I have one of the Sistema rice cookers and find it great (actually picked it up after seeing it praised elsewhere on boards). I always get lovely fluffy rice out of it and wouldn't go without it now. The plastic has never stained either. Personally would have no problem recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Same as above for me.
    Never stained for me, unless you mean dried in starch which wipes straight off.

Tip:
    Rinse your rice in the pot before steaming it. You wouldn't believe how dirty the rice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

How long does it take to cook enough rice for two people? Might get one to save money on microwave rice packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

10 minutes in 800W microwave gives me good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Love Sistema products overall.

Have the ordinary steamer and its great fir microwave food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I also highly recommend and my family includes Chinese folk. Indeed they brought some back to China excellent to time and avoid over cooking etc

Highly recommend

• Tbh, I prefer rinsing basmati, putting in the right amount of water and cooking on the hob in a saucepan right heat. Only takes a few minutes longer and comes out fluffy with no starch. It's like spuds - I can cook em in the microwave, but would never choose to do so unless in a hell of a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How long does it take to cook enough rice for two people? Might get one to save money on microwave rice packs.
    I just do it in a microwable tub with a lid I made a small hole in. Bring to the boil and then simmer on defrost.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I cook rice in the microwave using the absorption method, add 1 volume of rice to 1.5-2 volumes water (I have a 1 portion scoop), microwave until boiling on full (2-4mins depending on amount of water), then microwave on low/defrost for 10-12mins. You have to learn how your own microwave behaves, but it is very repeatable, with one microwave I use the lowest power, with another 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Snap, the rinsing is very important

People who don't clean the starch off their rice before cooking it are very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

grimm2005 wrote: »
    In the interest of balance, I have one of the Sistema rice cookers and find it great (actually picked it up after seeing it praised elsewhere on boards). I always get lovely fluffy rice out of it and wouldn't go without it now. The plastic has never stained either. Personally would have no problem recommending it.

same here, works grand, doesn't feel cheap at all

its just an auld plastic bowl with water and rice in it, whats to go wrong with the process

1200 plus 4.5 star revews on amazon vs 120 for the JJ one as twice the price, thats just as overpriced as all their stuff

Advertisement