Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin's 24h bus services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes, but I still wouldn't like to be the bus driver.

To say the city center is anarchic at that time on the weekends is an understatement.

Seems normal enough to me most Friday and Saturday nights. The night of Paddy's Day, Pride etc. can be a bit messy alright. Not really any different to the day, just quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We accept it as "normal" in Dublin.

That's our standard for our city.

But then when you add in the lack of proper adequate policing and no transport police either i'm not convinced that we should introduce things we shouldn't have here given our standards and what is tolerated.

That's why i'm against a barrier free metro for example.

We accept it as "normal" in Dublin.

That's our standard for our city.

But then when you add in the lack of proper adequate policing and no transport police either i'm not convinced that we should introduce things we shouldn't have given our standards and what is tolerated.

I say normal, it's actually quite pleasant, all the junkies and beggers have generally cleared off to their hostels by that time. There's still a good buzz, and sometimes you even see a garda, I guess sitting in the station falsifying things at that hour aint fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Whenever I am in town at that hour Fri/Sat the only guard I see anywhere occasionally would be on O'Connell St or a couple of vans in Temple bar.

Maybe the route to Swords will be fine.

Still would not want to be the bus driver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, but I still wouldn't like to be the bus driver.

To say the city center is anarchic at that time on the weekends is an understatement.

I think it is important to stress that we already have a "drink link" service, the Nitelink.

This is a different type of service. I'm sure there will be some drunks on it. But mostly this will be a new service for all the people of our city who work shift work. Nurses and doctors working shifts in our Hospitals, airport and airline staff heading to the airport, people working as support in call centers, etc. etc.

All those people deserve to have high quality public transport, the same as the rest of us.

I don't expect that there will be too many drunks on these buses at 4:30 on a Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

i was told by a driver they're talking about Christmas for the 39s to go 24 hours but will depend on the 41s obviously.

thomasj wrote: »
    i was told by a driver they're talking about Christmas for the 39s to go 24 hours but will depend on the 41s obviously.

oh, to be free of taxis permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Didn't give a year then :)

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Didn't give a year then :)

:D should've made sure!

So this bank holiday Sunday, despite there been events on, there is no Nitelink on that night.

But... Irish rail are deferring their last trains due to events on that night, so Maynooth trains will run later than the last bus (not by much but still), this time last year last train was before 9pm. what a difference a year makes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

if the 41 trials the 24hr service "later" this year, it won't give much time to actually see how it goes before bringing on the 39s also.

41s, 15s, 39s should all be on before xmas if DB management has any sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Which 39 would that be? I'd imagine the 39a would be the most logical as it's cross city personally I think it would be better if they merged the 39a and 46a as a single night bus running Ongar to DL as this would mean it would continue along the N11 and not just finishing in UCD. Heard rumours that the 145 and 66 will be made 24 hours too.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Which 39 would that be? I'd imagine the 39a would be the most logical as it's cross city personally I think it would be better if they merged the 39a and 46a as a single night bus running Ongar to DL as this would mean it would continue along the N11 and not just finishing in UCD. Heard rumours that the 145 and 66 will be made 24 hours too.

it will be more than likely a "plain 39" ie a 39 i was told. This makes sense as the 39N covers good ground. It runs through Castleknock, Blanchardstown village and Clonsilla, it covers more ground than the 39 and its usually faster than the 39A, given the time of night its no surprise. So i would say it will be a 39.

As for the Southside terminus, it wont be Belfield, so I'd imagine it will be either Burlington Road or a merger with the 46A or 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

They’ve enough trouble trying to get a bus to serve Belfield after 21:00, nevermind a 24-Hour Service!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

So this bank holiday Sunday, despite there been events on, there is no Nitelink on that night.

But... Irish rail are deferring their last trains due to events on that night, so Maynooth trains will run later than the last bus (not by much but still), this time last year last train was before 9pm. what a difference a year makes!

I'd imagine they'd have to pay drivers a Sunday premium + OT to work into early hours of BH Monday, probably not viable commercially. Pity Go Ahead can't take over few of the NL routes when DB aren't arsed putting on a service. Thursday & BH Sunday nights for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There haven't been BH Sunday Nitelinks for years. If ever - I have a vague idea that even when we had expanded Nitelink during the week that was still an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They ran nitelinks on Paddy's night which was a Sunday earlier this year but not on the May BH Sunday and now the June BH I can understand Easter Sunday but there should be nitelinks running any regular BH Sunday.

Mid September and still nothing. Will by "end of year" start for 41 happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mid September and still nothing. Will by "end of year" start for 41 happen??

I heard something briefly on the radio the other day that it had been postponed alright.. no definite date given.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I heard something briefly on the radio the other day that it had been postponed alright.. no definite date given.

The NBRU have set their stall out recently that they will allow no new routes to be introduced and existing routes will not have their service extended until sanitation facilities provided at the terminus of cross-city bus routes.

May well be linked to this.

• Advertisement

Driver told me the other night plans are afoot to extend last departures to 00.30hrs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Driver told me the other night plans are afoot to extend last departures to 00.30hrs

That would be very welcome!

devnull wrote: »
    The NBRU have set their stall out recently that they will allow no new routes to be introduced and existing routes will not have their service extended until sanitation facilities provided at the terminus of cross-city bus routes.

Taught the NBRU would be behind the disruption though surprised they have not used the "anti social behavior" excuse.

If only the NTA would contract Go-Ahead to provide a service between 00.00-06.00...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

devnull wrote: »

Ick, I'm agreeing with the NBRU on something

transdev/TII had to provide facilities at The Point in the past for the same reasons, nowhere else to go at the time. It's normal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L1011 wrote: »
    Ick, I'm agreeing with the NBRU on something

transdev/TII had to provide facilities at The Point in the past for the same reasons, nowhere else to go at the time. It's normal.

Yes, odd to be on their side in this. Drivers clearly need facilities at the ends of their routes, at least in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, odd to be on there side in this. Drivers clearly need facilities at the ends of their routes, at least in some cases.

I've to go up to 7 hours without...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

I've to go up to 7 hours without...

I know what its like , I've heard some stories about Toilet facilities or lack there off from a few family members that work for DB and BE. Is the Pokey little canteen available to use in the square still around ? Apart from that and earl place I cant think of anywhere else there is for drivers to relieve themselves ( not being vulgar).

Surely there has to be some sort of a plan in place if a driver needs a tinkle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I see, was aware of the Airlink. This route should be running until 02.00 in summer and terminated in the city centre instead of Heuston (after existing hours). The idea they couldn't make money on it is complete nonsense.

Lack of bus connections early morning means other operators allow illegal standing on coaches!

Does the Airlink still take a twisty turny route through the south inner city before it meanders to Heuston? Last time I took it I swore I’d get off at the Point the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Does the Airlink still take a twisty turny route through the south inner city before it meanders to Heuston? Last time I took it I swore I’d get off at the Point the next time.

Yep comes in through the port tunnel and then goes towards:

Point Village & 3Arena, North Wall Quay (Central Bank), The Convention Center Dublin, Irish Financial Services Center (IFSC), Commons Street, Talbot Street; The Central Bus Station (Busras), Connolly Rail Station, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street, O'Connell Street, College Green & Temple Bar, Christ Church Cathedral, High Street, Usher's Quay and Heuston Rail Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Muller1991 wrote: »
    I know what its like , I've heard some stories about Toilet facilities or lack there off from a few family members that work for DB and BE. Is the Pokey little canteen available to use in the square still around ? Apart from that and earl place I cant think of anywhere else there is for drivers to relieve themselves ( not being vulgar).

Surely there has to be some sort of a plan in place if a driver needs a tinkle.

Tallaght would still have that, Dun Laoghaire, Bray Train station, 145 Heuston and likes of 46a has both ends as can use the bus garage just around the corner.
    7 would have summer hill garage.

Many many routes have absolutely nothing at either end and nowhere near anything.

Basically the it plan is you can go to nearest garage and that isn't always possible as one wouldn't make it.

It's tough.

Advertisement