Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin's 24h bus services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yes, but some of the 24hr buses dont leave service. Its the same bus and driver on his last lap picking up early bird commuters.

What time are we talking about ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

What difference does it make to drivers if the bus is soiled in the passenger compartment. It's not affecting the drivers cab unless the smell is really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Joker2019 wrote: »
    What difference does it make to drivers if the bus is soiled in the passenger compartment. It's not affecting the drivers cab unless the smell is really bad.

It causes many issues as it's not safe, smell is a big one of course and danger of slips/falls etc.....

Happens quite a lot.

It causes many issues as it's not safe, smell is a big one of course and danger of slips/falls etc.....

Happens quite a lot.

The same with any liquid such as beer, coca cola, water etc. Hell should be buses not be driven on a wet day as the floor will be also be wet. Obivously buses should be withdrawn for reasons of passenger comfort but I don't see the issues for drivers. The drivers hardly going to get into trouble as they could just say that they didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Happens quite a lot.

Should a passenger slip/trip or fall as a result of these elements,and it can be shown that the Company did not take all available measures to remove those increased elements of risk,then this issue will be settled in the Courts.

Remember this is not a one trick pony operation,but a major operators with pre-existing systems for dealing with these exact situations.

If a Busdriver,who is actually on location,makes a decision to request a change of Bus for safety reasons,then the remotely situated Manager/Inspector/Controller refusing this request had better have substantial cover available for their backside,as it will be their refusal to implement the Company's own Health & Safety procedures which will be the deciding factor in establishing how many 000's in punitive damages will be added to the award in Court.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Ah come on now it seems people are making up issues with these services despite the fact these 24hr services are clearly so far a sucess. If the buses are not fit for passenger service ie they were soiled then they would be taken out of service as per DB company policy surely.

Yeah, but the problem there is, the lap is dropped to take it back for a swap. Which will also cost the company as the NTA may fine DB for a missed service as well as the farebox.

Option 1. sit in soiled bus

Option 2. Bus trip cancelled, sit at the bus stop in the cold waiting for the next .

What needs to happen is drivers or inspectors need to stop letting pissheads on or letting people on with food and drink.
    As per company by-laws .

A strong advertisement would be a start. But those upstairs wont .

The same with any liquid such as beer, coca cola, water etc. Hell should be buses not be driven on a wet day as the floor will be also be wet. Obivously buses should be withdrawn for reasons of passenger comfort but I don't see the issues for drivers. The drivers hardly going to get into trouble as they could just say that they didn't know.

Should a Driver be advised by a customer,usually as they alight,that there is an issue on a bus,then that driver would be VERY well advised to check the issue out and take appropriate action,ie:request a change of vehicle or remove the vehicle from service as directed by Control/Inspector.

Both Health & Safety and assessment of Claims Risks are very real issues which ANY Public Transport Operator will want to ensure stays centre-stage...if they want to avoid significant,yet avoidable losses due to compensation awards.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Yeah, but the problem there is, the lap is dropped to take it back for a swap. Which will also cost the company as the NTA may fine DB for a missed service as well as the farebox.

Option 1. sit in soiled bus

Option 2. Bus trip cancelled, sit at the bus stop in the cold waiting for the next .

What needs to happen is drivers or inspectors need to stop letting pissheads on or letting people on with food and drink.
    As per company by-laws .

A strong advertisement would be a start. But those upstairs wont .

Makes little difference to the bus drivers at the end of the day surely. They will still be getting paid. If drivers didn't let drinks then they would have to put up with a tirade of verbal abuse and possible physical assault. When I'm at work I generally try to avoid conflict and make my job as easy as possible.

No it isn't, I am an employee a long time and they have anti slip flooring which is great, drinks don't tend to create a slip hazard but bodily fluids would do so as unfortunately I've slipped in vomit before onboard.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd assume as more routes become 24/7 that it will also become easier to deal with any of these sort of operational issues.

If there are a dozen or more 24/7 routes operating, then it would be easier to justify having a dedicated night time canteen for drivers in the city center or to have one or two buses on standby in the city center to swap out a bus if soiled, etc.

It is probably more difficult to justify such resources when you are talking just one or two routes.

It is hardly surprising that when you are rolling out a major new service that there will be teething problems and growing pains, frankly I'd be shocked if their were no issues.

The good news is that it sounds like it is a major success with the public and sounds like it will only increase and expand. And non of the issues raised sound like they couldn't be relatively easily sorted with an expanding service.

• Advertisement

Wonder what next recession will have in mind in all the extra services....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wonder what next recession will have in mind in all the extra services....

I wouldn't see it changing much. Probably less frequency, but you'd still have staff and tourists going to and from the airport. And all the other people who use buses at night to get to and from jobs.

If anything you might see an increase in passenger numbers, as people decide to take the cheaper bus then an expensive taxi.

Remember a lot of the intercity coach services like Aircoach to Cork operating almost 24/7 started in the middle of the last recession and grew quickly and strongly from there. Some might have said they were mad, but in retrospect, a much cheaper alternative to the train, it now makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Remember a lot of the intercity coach services like Aircoach to Cork operating almost 24/7 started in the middle of the last recession and grew quickly and strongly from there. Some might have said they were mad, but in retrospect, a much cheaper alternative to the train, it now makes a lot of sense.[/QUOTE]

Also the Belfast X1/X2a Expressway service has been operating almost 24/7 as well, It was one of the first Expressway / Goldline routes to do so.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Should a Driver be advised by a customer,usually as they alight,that there is an issue on a bus,then that driver would be VERY well advised to check the issue out and take appropriate action,ie:request a change of vehicle or remove the vehicle from service as directed by Control/Inspector.

Both Health & Safety and assessment of Claims Risks are very real issues which ANY Public Transport Operator will want to ensure stays centre-stage...if they want to avoid significant,yet avoidable losses due to compensation awards.

The one time I informed a driver about a defect in a bus I was on told there was nothing he could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

hurl34 wrote: »
    Of Course DB PR will say all is good, what else would you expect from them?

Facts they are not a popular duty, of course it has a few willing drivers, but the rest are new drivers, with no choice, now when the the bus is filthy and they call control, they are being bullied/intimidated to carry on, they are new and dont want to rock the boat, cant blame them.

Unions are not happy, see below

imgur.com/a/kYpfqzv

I'd just like to make it know that new drivers are not being forced to do the night shift. It's not in our contracts either. Also, being in the job 3 months I've not had one bit of bullying or intimidation from any controllers so I'm curious about where you got that from? To be rightly honest, a few weeks ago I called with a bulb blown and the controller couldn't have been nicer about it, dropped the trip and had a bus waiting for me in town to switch into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Of Course DB PR will say all is good, what else would you expect from them?

Facts they are not a popular duty, of course it has a few willing drivers, but the rest are new drivers, with no choice, now when the the bus is filthy and they call control, they are being bullied/intimidated to carry on, they are new and dont want to rock the boat, cant blame them.

Unions are not happy, see below

imgur.com/a/kYpfqzv

The NBRU are rarely happy I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

New 145 timetable in January and it will have a 24 hour service, the new post 2330 service will run too and from Charelsland greystones to city centre, dont know where in CC

Interesting choices there if this is actually the case. I’d doubt it would be heuston as there’s no trains or anything at that hour of the night, possibly Parnell Square or Mountjoy Square?
    Although given the 7/A don’t layover on Mountjoy Square after 18:30 due to antisocial behaviour that probably wont be an option.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Interesting choices there if this is actually the case. I’d doubt it would be heuston as there’s no trains or anything at that hour of the night, possibly Parnell Square or Mountjoy Square?
    Although given the 7/A don’t layover on Mountjoy Square after 18:30 due to antisocial behaviour that probably wont be an option.

I guess they could use Parnell Square. Would have thought the 155 would be a better choice due to it's cross city nature.

No 24hr service on NYE night despite the fact that Nitelinks will be operating which is riddiculous carry on if you ask me. I don't remember buses finsihinh early on NYE either until a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

No 24hr service on NYE night despite the fact that Nitelinks will be operating which is riddiculous carry on if you ask me. I don't remember buses finsihinh early on NYE either until a few years ago.

Service stops at 2200 and commences again at 0000.

• Advertisement

Has been like this year's.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Service stops at 2200 and commences again at 0000.

Strange one. Don't see the point on that

Strange one. Don't see the point on that

Nitelinks driver sign up to do it.

Service drivers are given the opportunity to go home before the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Reading the notices on TFI, it looks like go ahead operated services are running up to last bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

thomasj wrote: »
    Reading the notices on TFI, it looks like go ahead operated services are running up to last bus.

Like they did last year I drove the last 184 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I'd just like to make it know that new drivers are not being forced to do the night shift. It's not in our contracts either. Also, being in the job 3 months I've not had one bit of bullying or intimidation from any controllers so I'm curious about where you got that from? To be rightly honest, a few weeks ago I called with a bulb blown and the controller couldn't have been nicer about it, dropped the trip and had a bus waiting for me in town to switch into.

Same as myself I'm there 4 months and never being bullied or intimidated and I have never being asked to do the night shift..the controllers I've dealt with have being sound and if I had a problem they would try sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I really hope that come this time next year the 39N will be dead and buried, at least in it's current form.

This Christmas , from Harcourt street , I'm taking the luas to Broombridge and then taking the Maynooth line home. There are good numbers using it this year as there are the other years it's operated.

Hopefully , this time next year the option to take the 39/A will be running around the clock.

ax586 wrote: »
    Same as myself I'm there 4 months and never being bullied or intimidated and I have never being asked to do the night shift..the controllers I've dealt with have being sound and if I had a problem they would try sort it out

You will find that the experiences of yourself and Midnight_EG are actually the norm,most new entrants are focusing on settling in and learning the ropes without much drama or awfulness,but this does not conform to the required line of the few who's experiences may be different,but far more worthy of coverage from the perpetually disaffected.

Individuals need to be afforded the freedom to make up their own minds,based upon their own experiences.

There are no Perfect Jobs.....and Busdriving,like any other occupation requires a degree of specific input to allow a person get some satisfaction from it.

It's not the Freemasons,the Orange Order or the KKK,nobody is imprisoned within it for life.

If the job (any job) is'nt giving you the level of satisfaction you need or expect,then that should prompt a very quick self inspection of what options are open to YOU...Life is WAY too short to waste vast amounts of it whacking the living daylights out of the same old storyline,yet expecting a different outcome each time.

Sadly,Bad news sells,and the badder the better ! :eek:

The one time I informed a driver about a defect in a bus I was on told there was nothing he could do.

Is it possible that,perhaps that one time,he was correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just a suggestion to any mods here,
    the thread title could do with an update
    since the 24 hour routes are in operation now!

Advertisement