Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman '89

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The great thing about Batman for me is that Batman is often third billing after Bruce Wayne and the Villain, for me the best movies have Bruce Wayne up against the odds, for example Batman 89 was Bruce vs Jack, Batman Begins was against Ra's Al Ghul, Dark Knight was Bruce saving Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Clareman wrote: »
    The great thing about Batman for me is that Batman is often third billing after Bruce Wayne and the Villain, for me the best movies have Bruce Wayne up against the odds, for example Batman 89 was Bruce vs Jack, Batman Begins was against Ra's Al Ghul, Dark Knight was Bruce saving Rachel.

Not so sure about the Bruce Wayne bit but certainly the villain is really the making of it, the joker is a great character, some of the others didn’t really make a good transition to screen. I’m looking at you Arnold Schwarzenegger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

How Batman and Robin got made after the absolute farce that was Batman Forever is still a mystery.

Batman Forever may have been ****e in many regards - but my recollection is that the studio was very impressed with Schumacher as he got it completed on time, and under budget. I'd imagine they didn't regard it as a farce (unless it bombed, which I don't think it did).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I liked Batman Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Clareman wrote: »

And another strong point with both Batman 1989 and Batman Returns is the villain got a good detailed backstory. The Joker was Jack Napier and The Penguin was Oscar Cobblepot and we get to know why they became their alter egos. Of course, Bruce and Batman was the mirror image.

And Riddler was Edward Nygma (enigma)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

The Penguin was Oscar Cobblepot

Oswald :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm one of thos kids who grew up in love with the 89 Batman. As an adult I actually think it's inferior to Batman Returns, which has a cool fever dream quality to it. It's very like a one off painted comic you'd read with Batman in it.

I think I'd agree with some people here that Batman wasn't really a start to the current age. Of course, it depends how you wish to define era, but Blade was the kick off for the glut of 90s/00s adaptations, Iron Man ushered in a huge change, and personally I put the Donner Superman films in the same era as the Batman, loner super blockbusters that just didn't lead to more for some reason. If we eventually cut them up the same way as the comics, I think something like this will eventually come to be commonly used:

Golden Age: George Reeves Superman serials, Flescher cartoons etc. Everything up to the 60s.
    Silver Age: Adam West's Batman, Super Friends, 60's and most of the 70s
    Bronze Age: Superman, Batman 89, and a lot of duds otherwise until the late 90's. Important Spider-Man, X-Men, and Batman cartoons happened towards the end of this era.
    Platinum Age (so named for the trend of metallic covers on comics at the time): Beginning with Blade, the era where all the not-quite-right superhero films started splurging out- Daredevil et all
    Modern Age (for now): Everything since Iron Man and the MCU shifted the producers mental process to allowing quite direct translations to screen because RDJ made so much money :D

Anyway that's pure semantics, and a fun discussion to have. Batman is an important film and an enjoyably weird one too, it deserves its place in so many peoples childhoods!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone watch it with their kids? It's been a while since I watched it and I went to watch it during winter with mine and I noticed it was rated PG13 on IMDB, but on Sky it's rated 15. I don't recall anything too bad in it, certainly nothing to deserve a higher rating than any of the Marvel movies or the Nolan trilogy.

• Advertisement

The video was 15 at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Danny Elfman made an unreal soundtrack for the movie. Of the 4 1989-1997 movies I think the Burton movies are a bit over-rated and the Schumacher ones get more hate than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Danny Elfman made an unreal soundtrack for the movie. Of the 4 1989-1997 movies I think the Burton movies are a bit over-rated and the Schumacher ones get more hate than they deserve.

You've definitely got that backwards.

givyjoe wrote: »
    You've definitely got that backwards.

I didn't there's plenty of problems in the Burton ones and while the Schumacher ones ramp up the camp and homo-eroticism there are some good moments. I certainly don't think they deserve the hate they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I didn't there's plenty of problems in the Burton ones and while the Schumacher ones ramp up the camp and homo-eroticism there are some good moments. I certainly don't think they deserve the hate they get.

Yep, the credits!! Which were actually pretty good with the U2 theme tune in the background. Your preference, but honestly, they're light years apart in terms of quality. I liked Val Kilmer at the time as Batman, but his Bruce Wayne was absolutely awful.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yep, the credits!! Which were actually pretty good with the U2 theme tune in the background. Your preference, but honestly, they're light years apart in terms of quality. I liked Val Kilmer at the time as Batman, but his Bruce Wayne was absolutely awful.

I actually agree with you I just think the praise for the Burton ones and the hate for the Schumacher ones are skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I actually agree with you I just think the praise for the Burton ones and the hate for the Schumacher ones are skewed.

I don't think there's as much praise among the fandom for Burton's films as you might think. Some in particular have a problem with Batman Returns because Burton takes a whole lot of liberties with the source.

For me though I loved Burton's early work, and I loved Batman, so the two films were and still are a childhood dream that's still alive. I can forgive the liberties taken in exchange for the wonderful atmosphere and for the fact that Gotham was never more alive and its own beast than in Burton's films.

In regards Schumacher's films, I'm kind of also coming from left field on them in that I'd rate B&R above BF. Kilmer was such a jarring departure from Keaton I just could never get past it. Not to mention the job Tommy Lee Jones did - a strange case of an actor being well cast but deciding to completely flip the script due to his own secure ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

One thing that the Batman Returns nailed was the fact that Bruce Wayne is more so the alter ego of Batman than vice versa.. When keaton is sitting in the chair just waiting for the signal to shine through is one of the best moments of any Batman movie

smurf492 wrote: »
    One thing that the Batman Returns nailed was the fact that Bruce Wayne is more so the alter ego of Batman than vice versa.. When keaton is sitting in the chair just waiting for the signal to shine through is one of the best moments of any Batman movie

Aye, Nolan's films which are the standard, but pushed the idea that Bruce always wanted an out. But Keaton's Bruce was beyond thinking a life was possible; even fact the possibility only fcuked him up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Aye, Nolan's films which are the standard, but pushed the idea that Bruce always wanted an out. But Keaton's Bruce was beyond thinking a life was possible; even fact the possibility only fcuked him up even more.

I think Nolan's biggest flaw was trying to be a bit too real world.. Then again I was never a massive fan of bale and while Dark Knight is a very good movie, I always loved begins more

• Advertisement

Watched Batman 1989 last night as I said I would and really enjoyed. Nolan's films are more realistic and are excellent in that way but for escapism that balances a dark, dystopian background with comic book brought to life feel, it is hard to beat Batman 1989. A classic.

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think Nolan's biggest flaw was trying to be a bit too real world.. Then again I was never a massive fan of bale and while Dark Knight is a very good movie, I always loved begins more

There all equal for me. That trilogy really is untouchable in terms of the genre and telling such a sharp, complete, story.

In terms of aesthetics Begins is my favourite. Nolan showing his Blade Runner fanboyness right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Keaton Batman was the best and has yet to be surpassed. The Joker was basically Jack Nicholson as himself, this would be weak point to an extent but at the time it probably wasn't. I think the film has aged beautifully, it's vastly superior to modern superhero films and I prefer it over Nolan's work. I really like the operatic ballet sequence with the clock tower, that black dude in the bomber jacket really gave Batman a run for his money big time and he only won the fight through a deceptive move at the end, he would have been toast otherwise. That was a really cool fight sequence. I really like the Prince soundtrack because it doesn't exactly fit, funk music in a gothic world, but that's what gives it an edge of unpredictability. Another classic sequence is when they go into the art gallery and desecrate it to Prince, classic and then the Joker just goes through Viki Vales portfolio saying crap, crap crap. So many quotable and memorable scenes like that. Another one, "lyou wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts"/"never rub another man's rhubarb!" Why don't they have this quality of script writing anymore, it's just Shakespearean in wordplay. I remember when that film came out I was skeptical thinking it would be like Adam West Batman, I think I was 4 at the time. Batman was associated with that campy light image, so Burton really kickstarted the dark Batman version which has influenced everything since. It was revolutionary for the time.

Keaton Batman was the best and has yet to be surpassed. The Joker was basically Jack Nicholson as himself, this would be weak point to an extent but at the time it probably wasn't. I think the film has aged beautifully, it's vastly superior to modern superhero films and I prefer it over Nolan's work. I really like the operatic ballet sequence with the clock tower, that black dude in the bomber jacket really gave Batman a run for his money big time and he only won the fight through a deceptive move at the end, he would have been toast otherwise. That was a really cool fight sequence. I really like the Prince soundtrack because it doesn't exactly fit, funk music in a gothic world, but that's what gives it an edge of unpredictability. Another classic sequence is when they go into the art gallery and desecrate it to Prince, classic and then the Joker just goes through Viki Vales portfolio saying crap, crap crap. So many quotable and memorable scenes like that. Another one, "lyou wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts"/"never rub another man's rhubarb!" Why don't they have this quality of script writing anymore, it's just Shakespearean in wordplay. I remember when that film came out I was skeptical thinking it would be like Adam West Batman, I think I was 4 at the time. Batman was associated with that campy light image, so Burton really kickstarted the dark Batman version which has influenced everything since. It was revolutionary for the time.

Michael Keaton's Batman/Bruce Wayne was the original and best (along with Christian Bale) serious version of the character. This film stood out because it was different and was very influential on all we've seen since. If this film wasn't made, all the other Batman films would not have been either. A masterpiece that still is enjoyed to this day.

I agree the Schumacher films do not deserve the hate they get. While Batman & Robin would be the last Batman film I would want to put on, I would watch it before a lot of other things that's for sure.

Both B&R and Batman Forever had their good parts too and were fun and watchable. I would gladly watch them before any Karate Kid or Police Academy sequels. Also much more watchable than The Amazing Spiderman 2 or Superman IV The Quest For Peace.

One good thing the Schumacher films continued from the Burton era was giving the villains a backstory. Edward Nygma became The Riddler and was an employee of Bruce Wayne, Mr Freeze was originally a scientist finding a cure for his ill wife and of course we all know about Harvey Dent/Two Face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

That's the one thing I didn't like about the Nolan trilogy. Anyone that knows the real character of Bruce Wayne knows that he would continue fighting until his very last breath. The idea of a normal life is alien to him. Even people are almost alien to him. He pushes people away: Dick, Tim, Barbara, etc, pretty much everyone except Alfred, whom btw would NEVER just walk out on Bruce like he did in TDKR. Did not like Caine's Alfred AT ALL.

Funnily enough I thought Irons nailed Alfred in BvS and Justice League. Alfred's wit is nothing short of legendary, and Irons absolutely made it his own. It's just a pity the rest of those films weren't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jaxxx wrote: »
    That's the one thing I didn't like about the Nolan trilogy. Anyone that knows the real character of Bruce Wayne knows that he would continue fighting until his very last breath. The idea of a normal life is alien to him. Even people are almost alien to him. He pushes people away: Dick, Tim, Barbara, etc, pretty much everyone except Alfred, whom btw would NEVER just walk out on Bruce like he did in TDKR. Did not like Caine's Alfred AT ALL.

Funnily enough I thought Irons nailed Alfred in BvS and Justice League. Alfred's wit is nothing short of legendary, and Irons absolutely made it his own. It's just a pity the rest of those films weren't as good.

I had many, many problems with TDKR, but that convenience probably irritated me the most. It just felt unnatural with what came before. It's my pet hate though, characters acting out of character for expedience. Having said that I'm glad they didn't kill him off either.

My favourite Batman performance detail comes from Kevin Conroy: There was no difference in the voice for those who knew his secret, whether he was in the suit or not. It was a great way of showing the audience where the true character lay, and where the facade began.

jaxxx wrote: »

That was a major change from what we saw in Burton's films and Nolan's. In Burton's, Batman was going to be Batman always and Schumacher's title Batman Forever solidified that idea.

I think that the complexities of the Batman/Bruce Wayne character were best documented in Batman 1989 and Batman Returns. The relationship with Vicki Vale documents the whole complexity of Bruce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought that Keaton was the best Bruce and that Bale was the best Batman.

The few things that annoyed me about the 99 Batman was how easily Batman would kill people and why the Joker had to be linked to Bruce's parents, 1 of the reasons I loved Ledger's Joker so much was the lack of backstory, he was just the Joker, bit like why (IMO) Vader in A New Hope was the perfect villan, no need for a backstory, he was just the villan, by giving them the backstory just dilutes the character, I just want them to be bad for the sake of being bad. Saying that I'm really looking forward to Phoenix's Joker, hopefully they'll put a great spin on the "1 Bad Day" storyline.

Finally, Nicolson is (at best) the third best Joker after Ledger and Hamill.

• Advertisement

Just a few more thoughts on Batman: let's go back to August 11th/12th 1989. Batman premiered in Ireland and the hype was unbelievable. Putting things in context at the time then we have to remember there was no Internet and no quick to video film releases like we have today. Going to the cinema then was an event and if you wanted to see a film badly, you had to go. Today, you can own a film in the cinema now within a few months.

Setting off into town to see the film with my dad, I can remember the 'bat fever' in the air well. Arriving at the cinema, I can remember the massive queues of the kind I haven't seen before or since. People of all ages and entire families came to see it. As said in an earlier post, the 2+ hours in the cinema were among the most entertaining experiences ever and remember the excitement of talking about it coming home with my dad and we pretending the car was the batmobile! I also remember looking out at the moon on the way home and imagining the batwing flying up against it like in the film!

On arriving home, I and my mam discussed the film for an hour and I was on a high with excitement. I remember then the Sunday papers were full of praise of it and showed the iconic batwing moon picture. Watching this film at the weekend brought all these good times back to life and it is just as enjoyable now as it was 30 years ago.

I remember in 1990 the film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tried to create a similar hype. But turtlemania was of its place and time and while there are still films and cartoons being made of the turtles, they never were as enduring as Batman and batmania. Batmania never really went away. 6 more Batman films followed and then the Batman, Superman and Wonderwoman collaboration films not to mention the upcoming The Batman.

After Batman 1989, we have moved into a world where superhero films are more generic and more par for the course. Film studios are queueing up to revive every single superhero character and the films are almost always a success these days. It was not always the case. For example, Masters of the Universe flopped despite 'He-man-mania' being everywhere prior to the film's release. Batman changed all that and was successful because it was unique, well made and appealed to multiple audiences.

Advertisement