Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2016, 12:12   #31
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2006 View Post
You are literally the first person EVER to dislike that movie.

The first is awesome don't get me wrong but this was an excellent sequel. Can't believe I am trying to justify it.

Did you skip your cornflakes this morning or something?
I wasn't mad about it in 1991, never mind this morning.

You don't have to justify it. If you like it, you like it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2016, 12:36   #32

T2 is where the rot set in. Making it 12 rating. Ordering the Terminator to not kill people. Rehashing the plot of T1 ending in a factory showdown. Cheesy humour.

Saying that it is still very enjoyable. Arnie is iconic in it and Linda Hamilton was brilliant. But the subsequent films took all the bad parts and expanded them - more cheese, lowered rating, trying to one up the previous model, bad acting...

Jesus end it already.
Thanks from:
23-03-2016, 14:48   #33

Terminator 2 is a great movie but I also prefer the first, it's a far more sinister and menacing movie. T2 lost that and shifted radically in tone towards blockbuster action. As films go though, still one of the best sequels ever made.
Thanks from:
23-03-2016, 19:33   #34
Gamb!t

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2006 View Post
..Yes it looks like it happening.

source
Thanks from:
23-03-2016, 21:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony EH View Post
I wasn't mad about it in 1991, never mind this morning.

You don't have to justify it. If you like it, you like it.
I think it's more a case of you having to justify not liking it! Hehe

Seriously, though T2 is a truly awesome film and a great sequel, one of the best ever sequels I believe.

I enjoyed the last film, but it didn't capture what made the first two films so memorable. Jai Courtney was dreadful. He's a terrible actor. I'm really looking forward to T6 and can only hope he'll grow into the role or maybe the script will suit him better. Just anything than what we got with Genesys as far as he's concerned.

Arnold is one of those people you never want to get too old for this kind of thing. He's something of an enigma.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-03-2016, 07:39   #36

A future war movie set in 2050 like t1 and t2 showed glimpses of please.

Trust me it's all the hardcore fans have been asking for years.

Hiding from hk's.
surviving on rats.
living in the underground sewars.
despair, fear, nuclear winters.
Thanks from:
26-03-2016, 11:25   #37
Unearthly

The 5th one although critically panned made $440m on a $155m budget so another one was inevitable
Thanks from:
26-03-2016, 15:44   #38
Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheOne View Post
A future war movie set in 2050 like t1 and t2 showed glimpses of please.

Trust me it's all the hardcore fans have been asking for years.

Hiding from hk's.
surviving on rats.
living in the underground sewars.
despair, fear, nuclear winters.
That may be what the hardcore fans want to see but that's not what the general public want. Any Terminator movie not set in the 80's or modern day isn't going to rake in the big bucks. Genisys, set in modern day, made more than 100 million more than Salvation did. There is a reason. And people love Christian Bale.
26-03-2016, 19:32   #39
Todd Gack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
That may be what the hardcore fans want to see but that's not what the general public want. Any Terminator movie not set in the 80's or modern day isn't going to rake in the big bucks. Genisys, set in modern day, made more than 100 million more than Salvation did. There is a reason. And people love Christian Bale.
The Chinese box office is that reason
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-03-2016, 11:33   #40
Wedwood

It's probably impossible to make another decent Terminator movie.

The original was basically a routine '80's horror/chase movie where the unstoppable baddie chases the innocent girl. The twist was making the baddie a robot from the future instead of a Michael Myers/ Freddie Kruger type, typical of horror movies then.

The sequel succeeded because it was basically a remake of the first movie with the novelty being Swarzenegger was a good guy this time.

Trying to pad out what was a fairly thin backstory into further movies just doesn't work as evidenced in every Terminator movie since.
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2016, 11:47   #41
py2006

I still can't get over the dismissing of T2 in here. That movie wasn't merely a re-hash, it was stylishly filmed, it had wonderful action set pieces, it had some innovative and breakthrough effects. The T1000 was an awesome character played really well by Robert Patrick. Arguably one of the best action/sci-fi movies of all time.

It was such a thrill ride in the cinemas. Even the opening credits blew me away.

27-03-2016, 15:04   #42
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedwood View Post
It's probably impossible to make another decent Terminator movie.

The original was basically a routine '80's horror/chase movie where the unstoppable baddie chases the innocent girl. The twist was making the baddie a robot from the future instead of a Michael Myers/ Freddie Kruger type, typical of horror movies then.

The sequel succeeded because it was basically a remake of the first movie with the novelty being Swarzenegger was a good guy this time.

Trying to pad out what was a fairly thin backstory into further movies just doesn't work as evidenced in every Terminator movie since.
Agreed.

Although I've always viewed 'The Terminator' as basically Cameron's riff on Ridley Scott's 'Alien' and it's story was essentially good for one shot. But that shot has been stretched out to ridiculous lengths now, that it's becoming a parody at this stage.

To me, though, this franchises biggest sin is its watering down. When I first saw 'The Terminator', it was a horror film, with some sci-fi elements. Much in the way that 'Alien' was. It's dark tone was what made it. The second one was just a dumb ass action flick, with a silly bad guy and Arnie wanting to be the hero he played in a dozen other dumb ass action flicks. Enjoyable for what it was, but not a patch on the original.

They really should have just left it at that, because there was nowhere else to go with the story, except into the future with John Connor, which they tried and failed, because the well was already poisoned by then.

The Terminator franchise has outlived its welcome a LONG time ago and needs to be put out of our misery, cos it isn't going to get better. The last go around (really a reboot) was especially atrocious.
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2016, 15:13   #43
Fieldog

I'm probably the only person I know who kind of liked the one with Christian Bale... :/

I would have liked to seen where that would have went...
27-03-2016, 15:23   #44
deadybai

I think that I am the only one who liked T3, TS and TG. Genysis I thought was very good while T3 is the worst but still good enough.

Obviously there no where near the standard of the first two but I feel they were unfairly disliked because of this.
27-03-2016, 15:31   #45
Keyzer

Last one was an absolute pile of dog sh1t. Should have stopped after the second one.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion