Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ted44

well done when did you sit your written assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mafamude

ted44 wrote: »
    well done when did you sit your written assessment

I sat on the 22nd March. Got the letter last week... Just wondering what they do in the driving test?

just do as you did in your driving test when you got your licence that should be good enough ? best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi Mafa best of luck to you.

I wouldn't let the high fail rate put you off as it seems a lot of these are been sent by the Social Welfare.

Some are driving absolutely nuts as to make sure they fail.

Basically they will be looking to see can you drive to a good high standard and that even though you already have your licence that you are willin g to take advice and learn also.

They come across people who think they know it all and don't listen to advice or tips.

As said above drive like you did on your test.
    Show you can control the vehicle well and drive smooth.
    Take off slowly and try and stop as gentle as possible as they will be looking for eco driving techniques and good mirror use.

Always be prepared to stop especially the likes of driving through the city with mad cyclists and the usuall pedestrians that just step out and of course the vans and taxis which are going to do anything to cut you up to get in front.

Anything else I may have left out that you are unsure of?

Well said punisher, I did't realise the social welfare were putting people forward for this job, how many driver's have been recruited so far,
    Thanks ted

• Advertisement

Well said punisher, I did't realise the social welfare were putting people forward for this job, how many driver's have been recruited so far,
    Thanks ted

They seem to be having a harder time then they thought and looks like they won't be filled in the agreed time.
    So not sure what will be done if anything.

sound thanks, ive heard from a friend the medical ? and apart from people just not wanting the job, as you said driving like bats from hell on the test, is very tough and that's what is holding up the recruitment side of things

sound thanks, ive heard from a friend the medical ? and apart from people just not wanting the job, as you said driving like bats from hell on the test, is very tough and that's what is holding up the recruitment side of things

They are always slow as the company still operates outdated procedures from the 80's.

I understand what your say'n , I sat my assessment Saturday just gone, so im thinking by looking at other posts on here if I was to be called for a driving test I could be waiting for a couple of weeks for a letter in the post?

I understand what your say'n , I sat my assessment Saturday just gone, so im thinking by looking at other posts on here if I was to be called for a driving test I could be waiting for a couple of weeks for a letter in the post?

I hope if it is something you would like to do that it works out for you and you do get the job.

• Advertisement

It is and I would love to get the job, it's what I know how to do and driving is all I know, im sure I can be thought new way's and adopt quickly to company policy, so yes I hope I get the letter in the post soon.
    Thanks ted

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mafamude

Hi Mafa best of luck to you.

I wouldn't let the high fail rate put you off as it seems a lot of these are been sent by the Social Welfare.

Some are driving absolutely nuts as to make sure they fail.

Basically they will be looking to see can you drive to a good high standard and that even though you already have your licence that you are willin g to take advice and learn also.

They come across people who think they know it all and don't listen to advice or tips.

As said above drive like you did on your test.
    Show you can control the vehicle well and drive smooth.
    Take off slowly and try and stop as gentle as possible as they will be looking for eco driving techniques and good mirror use.

Always be prepared to stop especially the likes of driving through the city with mad cyclists and the usuall pedestrians that just step out and of course the vans and taxis which are going to do anything to cut you up to get in front.

Anything else I may have left out that you are unsure of?

No, Punisher, not at all. Very helpful, thanks :).

I have 6 years driving experience for a Portuguese company similar to Dublin Bus, in Lisbon. Drove buses and trams and have a good record of driving hours without any trouble but, since I would love to get the job and it would be a perfect job for me it makes even a little bit more nervous.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bus Eire

I have a medical for Dublin bus can someone please give me information on what the medical entails?

Bus Eire wrote: »
    I have a medical for Dublin bus can someone please give me information on what the medical entails?

They will hook you up to check your heart and will look for urine and if not that a blood test.

It's nothing to worry about unless your off your face on something.

Make sure if sick at any point don't take pain killers with codene in it as this shows up as coke;).

It's mainly to cover themselves as they don't want a driver to have a health problem and then collapse and crash a bus full of passengers.

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bus Eire

lol Thanks hopefuly all goes well? And do you know how long it takes from medical to training and from training to start? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Bus Eire wrote: »
    lol Thanks hopefuly all goes well? And do you know how long it takes from medical to training and from training to start? Thanks again!

Not long. Once the medical department tell HR that everything was ok, you should hear within a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

Not long. Once the medical department tell HR that everything was ok, you should hear within a week
    Just wondering,I passed my medical last week in the health centre place on marlborough street ,im trying not to get too excited but im just wondering what happens from here on?
    Would I be right in thinking once the vetting and reference checks are completed that I might be getting a job offer in the next while?I was told in the medical that it might take DB slightly longer than usual to get back to me due to the easter break so im like an excited child on christmas eve waiting for a call or letter to let me know whats going on.
    Im just hoping that if I do get a job offer that they give me reasonable notice to start as I need to give my current employer upto a months notice;)

coolbond wrote: »
    Just wondering,I passed my medical last week in the health centre place on marlborough street ,im trying not to get too excited but im just wondering what happens from here on?
    Would I be right in thinking once the vetting and reference checks are completed that I might be getting a job offer in the next while?I was told in the medical that it might take DB slightly longer than usual to get back to me due to the easter break so im like an excited child on christmas eve waiting for a call or letter to let me know whats going on.
    Im just hoping that if I do get a job offer that they give me reasonable notice to start as I need to give my current employer upto a months notice;)

Once you go to medical you say you have passed so the job is there just the driving part to pass next.

Once you go to medical you say you have passed so the job is there just the driving part to pass next.

by driving part do you mean some kind of assessment during training?

coolbond wrote: »
    by driving part do you mean some kind of assessment during training?

Correct you will be tested on your driving skills in a very old more then likely 1994 Volvo and its very demanding as they will be testing you on every part of your driving.

It will be similar to taking your test again but if you are up to standard there will be a good few days training also involving driving and some classroom stuff also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

If you have had your medical, then you have ready done your driving assessment. Next step is the job offer. At the start there is a few days in the classroom and then it's familiarisation with the busses, then you will be assaigned a garage and start route training

If you have had your medical, then you have ready done your driving assessment. Next step is the job offer. At the start there is a few days in the classroom and then it's familiarisation with the busses, then you will be assaigned a garage and start route training
    Thank you,for a while there I thought i-d have to do another driving assessment in order to complete training school!thanks for clearing that up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

My brother just came back from, so called "driving assessment test", failed based on the fact that he has NOT Irish licence. So, the EU license is not valid to apply for Bus driver position.
    The inspector looked upset that he has no Irish licence.
    Waste of time.
    Strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

emy wrote: »
    My brother just came back from, so called "driving assessment test", failed based on the fact that he has NOT Irish licence. So, the EU license is not valid to apply for Bus driver position.
    Waste of time.
    Strange!

EU directive 2006/126 all EU licences are equally valid in all Eu states without condition.

cdebru wrote: »
    EU directive 2006/126 all EU licences are equally valid in all Eu states without condition.

Correct but how long has this person been living here as once anyone started driving for DB they had to change for an Irish Licence.

When I started myself they trained us and we done our test through the company and then applied for full licence when passed the test.

There were some from other countries who had car licence say for example the UK but had to change as to have bus added.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

My brother just came back from, so called "driving assessment test", failed based on the fact that he has NOT Irish licence. So,the EU license is not valid to apply for Bus driver position.

Waste of time.

Strange!

Given that there is an element of hearsay here,I venture to suggest caution as to the reason for an unsuccessful "Assessment Test"

The Driving "Assessment",is just that,an opportunity to assess the applicants strenghts and weaknesses relative to Dublin Bus requirements.

Therefore I would suggest that the Country of Origin of the licence would be unlikely to be the sole reason for failing the assessment.

It may be worthwhile reading the Road Safety Authority guidelines on the recognition of Non-Irish Driving Licences.

http://www.ndls.ie/en/Driving-Licence/holders-of-foreign-licences.html
    Holders of licences issued by an EU/EEA member state

If you have a driving licence issued by an EU member state you can drive in Ireland as long as your existing licence is valid. If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within 10 years of your driving licence expiring. If foreign Driving Licence has expired, it must be accompanied by Certified Details or letter of entitlement from the Issuing Authority. A Recognised State driving licence may be exchanged up to a maximum of 1 year after it expires with an accompanying letter of entitlement. After this period, applicant will need to apply for a learner permit.

Where a driving licence has been issued on foot of an exchange from a country that Ireland does not have an exchange driving licence policy with then Ireland cannot exchange the driving licence.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Correct but how long has this person been living here as once anyone started driving for DB they had to change for an Irish Licence.

When I started myself they trained us and we done our test through the company and then applied for full licence when passed the test.

There were some from other countries who had car licence say for example the UK but had to change as to have bus added.

Of course Ireland can not add a bus license to any other EU countries license, so you need to get an Irish license. But that is not the story here, to apply you need to have a valid license and current CPC.

An EU license is a valid license end of story. You can use it in DB or anywhere else in the EU without condition.

cdebru wrote: »
    Of course Ireland can not add a bus license to any other EU countries license, so you need to get an Irish license. But that is not the story here, to apply you need to have a valid license and current CPC.

An EU license is a valid license end of story. You can use it in DB or anywhere else in the EU without condition.

There has to be something else as if the licence is valid and person holds up to date cpc then they should be ok.

There has to be something else as if the licence is valid and person holds up to date cpc then they should be ok.

Exactly ;-)

The post is bs or the person was told bs who knows which .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Waste of time.
    Strange!

If he did not have a valid licence you can be sure Dublin Bus did not conduct a driving assessment.

Advertisement