Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glenroe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not really her niece; just the daughter of a good friend of hers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It took six years for somebody to remember her niece. She must not have made much of an impression. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    It took six years for somebody to remember her niece. She must not have made much of an impression. :pac:

Not her niece, but a daughter of a friend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Posy wrote: »

Her character was kind of parachuted into the show from nowhere, I can't remember the backstory that led her to coming to live in Glenroe from the North (think she was supposed to be from Derry) and that was the beginning of the writers introducing a lot of teenage characters in presumably a bid to attract younger viewers. That was also when it was revealed that Mynah the priests housekeeper all of a sudden had a house full of teenage children that had never been mentioned or shown before, one of them was Scobie who was a right pain. Glenroe started jumping the shark around this time, I think maybe Wesley Burrowes had left. I remember when Alan Stanford left the show they killed off George by having him go off trekking in South America only to be kidnapped and murdered by guerrillas. That was the beginnings of its slow decline I think.

I think the younger viewers would be distracted by the thought that their homework wasn't done.

• Advertisement

Spot the future Glenroe star in this bizarre Mcvitties biscuit ad.

https://ifiplayer.ie/mcvitties-teddy-bear/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Dick moran lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Emmet Bergin

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

17 years later; here’s where the cast of Glenroe are now

https://evoke.ie/2018/03/01/showbiz/tv/glenroe-cast

Remember when Dinny and Teasy started a BnB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Remember Cyril Cusack as Uncle Peter? Horrible.

Remember Cyril Cusack as Uncle Peter? Horrible.

Yes, great actor playing a very annoying character. Remember his "Australian" wife with the laughably unconvincing aussie accent? She was thankfully only in it for a short time, I'd cringe whenever she opened her mouth, can't recall who played her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Yes, great actor playing a very annoying character. Remember his "Australian" wife with the laughably unconvincing aussie accent? She was thankfully only in it for a short time, I'd cringe whenever she opened her mouth, can't recall who played her.

No she was Spanish. It was Sylvie (David Kelly) that had gone to Australia and made a fortune selling dodge Burgler Alarms. Then they introduced Teasy and Sylvies dodgy son.

No she was Spanish. It was Sylvie (David Kelly) that had gone to Australia and made a fortune selling dodge Burgler Alarms. Then they introduced Teasy and Sylvies dodgy son.

Ok, it must have been Sylvies wife then. I get some of his and Uncle Peters storylines mixed up.

Rory Dolan

branie2 wrote: »
    Rory Dolan

He's the shifty guy behind the bar in the scene with Mario Rosenstock that begins 4:09.

Ok, it must have been Sylvies wife then. I get some of his and Uncle Peters storylines mixed up.

No problem. They were both legendary actors in a megre show. Sylvies wife/widow came back to Glenroe and too a shine to Rory (as a adopted son) and with the failure of the chipper, she too Rory back to Australia with her.

He's the shifty guy behind the bar in the scene with Mario Rosenstock that begins 4:09.

It would be unfair to compare him to his onscreen father (David Kelly). You could never watch Sylvie without having a feeling of a con coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No good news comes in an envelope with a harp on it blackie.

Who did blackie have the affair with.

I remember the episode with dinny and the dodgy house alarm.

irishgeo wrote: »
    No good news comes in an envelope with a harp on it blackie.

Who did blackie have the affair with.

I remember the episode with dinny and the dodgy house alarm.

I think it was Terry Kileen? She managed to fit in Dick Byrne as well.

• Advertisement

Carol Moran, actually. Mary's daughter and Biddy's sister.

I remember one episode when Ricky, Michelle's son, accidentally got locked (as in locked in or out, not drunk) in the pub

I think it was Terry Kileen? She managed to fit in Dick Byrne as well.

No that was Carol, Biddy's sister. She came home from London...... she was a fan of a little "Blackie Magic". I am not sure if D'julia found out. I am telling you, you wouldn't want to cross a knackers wife.

The two of them even had it on in Mary's house.

The two of them even had it on in Mary's house.

Stop will ya!!! there are just some scenes Eye Bleach cannot remove!!

Imagine trying to get horse s&*t stain out of the carpet.

Carol Moran, actually. Mary's daughter and Biddy's sister.

I didnt know Carol Morans love affair with RTE went back that far. Remember she was "discovered" in a talent search program? So like I guess many a thing it was fixed. She had some quiz/travel to search for a celebrity on RTE? Then she got a place on Fair city, (regular and well paid and celebrity endorsements on the side).

Carol McDermott, actually, not Moran. Moran was the surname of Dick.

Carol McDermott, actually, not Moran. Moran was the surname of Dick.

Yeaht that makes more sense. She was a bit of a tearaway. Wouldnt settle with her husband, worked in banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yeaht that makes more sense. She was a bit of a tearaway. Wouldnt settle with her husband, worked in banking.

Was also re-cast.
    As was Des Brennan.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember the storyline where Miley gets a horse? Would have been circa 87. There was this weird bit where Miley was contemplating getting a horse and saying to himself "that would be a very good idea indeed" and then an image of a horse materializes above his head, to illustrate that he was thinking about it. It looked like those really cheapo visual effects you'd see in Bosco or Wanderly Wagon. Anyway it ended badly for the horse as Stephen Brennan shot it for straying onto his land. I think he did it because he thought it belonged to the travellers. Cue Miley nearly throttling Stephen while shouting "there's a horse of mine lying dead down there".

Advertisement