Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland to Zagreb route?

• 05-11-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    What are recommended options for a trip to Zagreb from DUB ORK SNN?
    a) a train or bus connection from another airport in E Europe/Adriatic
    b) a connection in a London airport

Many seasonal flight routes are stopped. I could be hours testing combinations on line.
    Option a) would be more appealling if not too inconvenient. Maybe from Verona, Budapest?

Suggestions invited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There are direct flights with croatian airlines but they arent cheap.
    If you want cheap, fly to Munich or somewhere on a deal midweek and take a bus the 10 or 15 hours to Zagreb. You could get there and back for less than €100 all in.

If you arent so tight for cash but looking for something more affordable (just ask yourself, how much really is your time worth) I can see connections on skyscanner in the new year for €160 euro which for a journey of 4500km is actually fairly reasonable when you think of it.

You could fly to Vienna but its still a 7 hour direct train journey and it'd cost €80 return so added to an air fare of €100+ no cheaper than just flying there and back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks. Cheap is always welcome but I'll happily pay to avoid >10 hours on a bus. A long train journey is okay though.
    Skyscanner - didn't think of that. KLM service from Cork I see but inconvenient early morning and London or Schiphol connections.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I visited Zagreb from Ljubljana. It's not far from Ljubljana on the bus. It's about 2 hours. Ljubljana isn't easy to get to from Ireland though. You'd have to get a connecting flight in London. EasyJet and Wizz Air (I think) do the London-Ljubljana route.

Thanks. Ljubljana is a place I do want to visit. Partly because I've been to SLO and didn't visit the capital! Might make a detour.
    At the moment flight to Vienna/Budapest and train looks the most appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Check goopti. It might be actually more convenient to fly to Venice or Vienna than Budapest. I don't know how good is train connection between Budapest and Zagreb but I know any trains over Slovenia are pretty slow. You get a lot more flexibility and options with goopti and it could be also cheaper.

https://www.goopti.com/en/transfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Fly to Bologna, then train to Ancona, then ferry to Zagreb?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Fly to Bologna, then train to Ancona, then ferry to Zagreb?

I think you are confusing Zadar with Zagreb.

- goopti looks useful. Noted.
    Train from Budapest seems slow ~6hrs, but that's okay. I like trains.
    I've seen railway tracks in Slovenia. They seemed a feat of engineering. But I never saw a train or a station. Glad to know they are operational.

- ferry on the Adriatic. Sounds nice.

Advertisement