Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you making just now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

New born girls dumped

OMG dosen't bear thinking about

I have just taken on a project making angel gowns and angel wraps for babies born too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

lulu1 wrote: »
    New born girls dumped

I have just taken on a project making angel gowns and angel wraps for babies born too soon

Would you like to add this charity to another thread I started a while ago here, 'Knitting/Crafting for Charity", its a sticky at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New born girls dumped

I know. will not depress you with the reasons. I used to tell folk when I was trading at markets that I am too old and too ill to go and help out there, BUT I CAN KNIT!

Making fine things that people enjoy wearing or dressing their little ones in is deeply fulfilling in so many ways. Knowing it will feed babies... So I knit ! Not helpless!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Would you like to add this charity to another thread I started a while ago here, 'Knitting/Crafting for Charity", its a sticky at the top of the forum.

Yes add please

Getting an attack of monotony ;) I keep varying the cabling etc but.... the big blanket was a welcome distraction so.... we will see..

• Advertisement

New born girls dumped

Beauty of the kind you are creating with love heals ... wondrously..

Need a change and health has nosedived with the weather, so have here a small bag of cotton oddments too small to use else and they will become dishcloths, face cloths, hand towels while i recline and watch youtube abed!

I have appealed to our old friends at Spingwools who keep large boxes in their shop to donate to worthy causes who are knitting for charity.. amazing the sheer variety , yarns I could never afford to buy or access..

Happy knitting all!

Got diverted by the glorious weather and my garden needing a lot of work! Not many days we can get out there! Tomorrow is another day..

Still knitting legwarmers and sleevies... Interspersed with oddment granny squares , cushion cover size, and the cats now have mats to sit on and love them.

Getting low on yarn stocks though... we shall see... Am totally and utterly addicted to knitting and so much abed these days so a perfect occupation. Happy days! Knitting and youtube... bliss, as the wind howls out there and the rain batters the windows.. cat keeping my feet warm..

On my 5th new set of aran cabled sleevies and wide headband.

all the cats now " sit on the mat" as there are knitted rug "tiles" around. They are very happy!

• Advertisement

Not that I have been idle this year but am delighted to get a firm and urgent request for sales items for Canada... the wide cables headbands, hats.... they love that they are hand knitted on an Irish island!

Needles at the ready! Off we go!

Anyone else involved in seasonal crafting?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: threads merged.

I had a request in for baby hats for the little ones we rescue there; they wanted them colourful

So I gathered in all the small scraps of yarn always left after work is finished.
    Lovely occupation in dark winter days.

Made 19 so far; here are some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I try not to get into seasonal knitting as such simply don’t have the time or skill. My OH gave me a rigid heddle loom, fibre and a couple of drop spindles for Christmas so I’m attempting to learn to spin. Just something I’ve always admired so I thought I'd have a go.

I did manage to knit a simple chunky cable hat for myself only to realise the cables went the wrong way, as I knit from left to right instead of right to left so forgot to switch hold in back vs hold in front. So I’m redoing it but it’s a nice easy knit & I really like knitting cables and hate knitting lace, I prefer to weave it instead.

So ATM I’ve, 1.5 socks on dpns, a nearly finished cardi for my OH on circs, 2 hats 1 for me & one for my mum who is in Canada for work, a beginning cardi for me on straights & a lace warp almost finished on the loom, this is for a friends wedding gift.

Cables can go any way YOU choose. I zigzag them when I get bored! Add indivuality .. But I never use patterns any more, and all I earn goes to our work rescuing newborns . so much abed these days that knitting is a blessing and a boon.

Had a spinning wheel once and 2 Jacobs sheep... but need to produce as much work as I can; it is for me a job as much as a sheer pleasure.

Never use anything but ordinary needles. Very traditional! Used to knit Arans for the export industry then kept my big market stall supplied with a variety for 12 years.

em_cat wrote: »
    I try not to get into seasonal knitting as such simply don’t have the time or skill. My OH gave me a rigid heddle loom, fibre and a couple of drop spindles for Christmas so I’m attempting to learn to spin. Just something I’ve always admired so I thought I'd have a go.

I did manage to knit a simple chunky cable hat for myself only to realise the cables went the wrong way, as I knit from left to right instead of right to left so forgot to switch hold in back vs hold in front. So I’m redoing it but it’s a nice easy knit & I really like knitting cables and hate knitting lace, I prefer to weave it instead.

So ATM I’ve, 1.5 socks on dpns, a nearly finished cardi for my OH on circs, 2 hats 1 for me & one for my mum who is in Canada for work, a beginning cardi for me on straights & a lace warp almost finished on the loom, this is for a friends wedding gift.

I still use patterns at times as I only learned garment construction techniques recently. I also have a fair few friends that design and write them as their income, so I like to support them in that way.

I recently been reading some articles about different cable histories, obvs inc Aran, and I find it very interesting. I suppose it’s quite true that knitting is an addiction to some because all of a sudden I could wait anywhere as long as I can knit. I’m enjoying the weaving now that I’m comfortable with warping but some days, like today, all I want to do is knit...

It’s lovely that you can help to support a charity the way you do, I do a few things but for rescue as I’m not fast enough to knit for humans, even little ones. I do crochet the little octopuses for the NICU unit in the rotunda and like you, I get a supply of the yarn from a wool shop for it. I usually put aside a couple of hours on a Sunday morning for doing them. It’s about the time it’s relatively quite around here so I can tune out and go round & round...

Different lives! No family here to care for and no job. So I have acres of time.I need to knit to feel I am doing SOMETHING when I can do almost nothing. The work with the babies etc is my family and my life. The Christening dress I put on photos was in that spirit. Giving beauty to give life. Any hand craft is beauty. Given.
    Colour. shape...
    My range is limited but the head of family is an inspired lady who does not knit! She has an idea and knows what sells so she tells me the idea and I work out how to make it.
    One winter I knitted, off my own bat, over 100 pairs of assorted mittens as that was the number of children in one feeding programme. She loved the mittens. sold them for $9 a pair, to buy boots AND pound shop mittens!

I still use patterns at times as I only learned garment construction techniques recently. I also have a fair few friends that design and write them as their income, so I like to support them in that way.

I recently been reading some articles about different cable histories, obvs inc Aran, and I find it very interesting. I suppose it’s quite true that knitting is an addiction to some because all of a sudden I could wait anywhere as long as I can knit. I’m enjoying the weaving now that I’m comfortable with warping but some days, like today, all I want to do is knit...

It’s lovely that you can help to support a charity the way you do, I do a few things but for rescue as I’m not fast enough to knit for humans, even little ones. I do crochet the little octopuses for the NICU unit in the rotunda and like you, I get a supply of the yarn from a wool shop for it. I usually put aside a couple of hours on a Sunday morning for doing them. It’s about the time it’s relatively quite around here so I can tune out and go round & round...

Got a present last night from my sister in law of a beautiful knitted santa clause. Was meant to be for xmas but she ran a bit late.
    was in her house before xmas and counter 8 items that I had made her over the years so I must be doing something right.

Still cant knit of crochet but its on my to do list

Got a present last night from my sister in law of a beautiful knitted santa clause. Was meant to be for xmas but she ran a bit late.
    was in her house before xmas and counter 8 items that I had made her over the years so I must be doing something right.

Still cant knit of crochet but its on my to do list

Yes you must be :) knit worthy people are far & few between. I’d say learn to knit before crocheting, but a lot of people think the opposite, I find if I’m doing anything other a double crochet stitch (single in the US) I just get too confused but with knitting I can feel the stitches without looking.

I knit as I am reading or watching youtube. Could never crochet while doing that.
    And yes I know folk who cannot knit but are skilled at crochet.

Could never just read or watch; a well channelled nervous twitch

I have a full size crocheted blanket atop my bed that I made years ago. 2 more knitted ones! And the cats sleep on hand knitted squares...

Seriously addicted!
    Yes you must be :) knit worthy people are far & few between. I’d say learn to knit before crocheting, but a lot of people think the opposite, I find if I’m doing anything other a double crochet stitch (single in the US) I just get too confused but with knitting I can feel the stitches without looking.

• Advertisement

Twiddling my thumbs here, seeking inspiration and motivation! Swimming in hats etc! Abundant wool and time etc...

Graces7 wrote: »
    Twiddling my thumbs here, seeking inspiration and motivation! Swimming in hats etc! Abundant wool and time etc...

I think we all need motivation at times I also have lost my mojo as they call it. 4 sewing machines that do different things sitting there unused for this week anyway

Did you ever think of knitting easter chicks where you put cream eggs in. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Made this. First attempt after watching a few vids on youtube. Been meaning to do something like this for years but just never found the time. Was great fun a a great learning experience.

Used Das paper clay, toilet roll carboards, cardboard, pebbles/stones from Portrane beach, tin foil, empty 2l 7up bottle and water colour paints.

501995.jpg

501996.jpg

501997.jpg

I think we all need motivation at times I also have lost my mojo as they call it. 4 sewing machines that do different things sitting there unused for this week anyway

Did you ever think of knitting easter chicks where you put cream eggs in. Just a thought

I once thought of them when I was running my market /craft fair stall but when I looked around everyone was making them. The art is to make things no one else is doing. So I diversified to cat nip toys! Oh and egg cosies went well!

Now as I am housebound etc I am "on call "for whatever will sell or is needed. Canada tell me what will sell there and India asked for bright baby hats.. Oh and someone on boards ordered a warm woolly hat. My first year here did a good line in Mayo red/.green football hats!

This is an odd time of year though.

Made this. First attempt after watching a few vids on youtube. Been meaning to do something like this for years but just never found the time. Was great fun a a great learning experience.

Used Das paper clay, toilet roll carboards, cardboard, pebbles/stones from Portrane beach, tin foil, empty 2l 7up bottle and water colour paints.

501995.jpg

501996.jpg

501997.jpg

Oh God this is class I love it

Graces7 wrote: »
    I once thought of them when I was running my market /craft fair stall but when I looked around everyone was making them. The art is to make things no one else is doing. So I diversified to cat nip toys! Oh and egg cosies went well!

Now as I am housebound etc I am "on call "for whatever will sell or is needed. Canada tell me what will sell there and India asked for bright baby hats.. Oh and someone on boards ordered a warm woolly hat. My first year here did a good line in Mayo red/.green football hats!

This is an odd time of year though.

That's the thing Grace if only we could think of something that nobody else thought of we would be millionaires over night.
    But for now I will keep doing the lotto
    Nearly had a heart attack last week 3 numbers so near and yet so far away:):)

I’m knitting a new pullover for myself after the Xmas mayhem and working up samples for handwoven upholstery and textiles for our future new gaff. I’ve started learning about different types of weaving techniques & styles so I can transpose from shaft floor loom to a rigid heddle.

Oh God this is class I love it

Thanks Lulu. I'm giving it to my 2 nieces. I still have a few finishing touches to do. I'll put up the end result when it's done.

That's the thing Grace if only we could think of something that nobody else thought of we would be millionaires over night.
    But for now I will keep doing the lotto
    Nearly had a heart attack last week 3 numbers so near and yet so far away:):)

Never done the lotto!

I did very well at the markets all those years! My grandmother had a shop so it must be in the genes.. Folk used to tell me I could sell anything to anyone.. all went to India for the tiny ones my family cares for, which incentivised me mightily . I used to say I was knitting baby milk; still am.

Now working on a pair of slipper socks for me, with assorted scraps of yarn that are not fit for anything... Need them fast! SO COLD this year... shivers!

This weather is very tiring!

• Advertisement

Finished!! Added lights, door handle, a sign with the girls names, water in the well and touched up some colours.

49506238257_6d17107226_c.jpgDSC_1828 by ,

49506238352_1d153a2990_c.jpgDSC_1835 by ,

49505511673_d01a7990cb_c.jpgDSC_1829 by ,

Advertisement