Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plaster crafting

Options
  • 21-06-2019 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I decided to try plaster crafting but I need some advice about what material is best to use. I tried Plaster of Paris but I find it very soft. Is there any other plaster I can use for crafting that would be harder? I also want to try some garden projects using cement. Can I use just any kind of cement that I find in the Hardware store? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Are you carving the plaster? It takes a long time to dry before you can carve it properly. I used to cast large one foot cubes in wooden moulds for a school art day and it took weeks for them to dry out. Softness could also be due to plaster being old or too much water in the mix.

I used casting plaster which I got from RPM in Ballymount, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Dental plaster or dental stone is a type of casting material similar to plaster of paris but much harder. It's used to make casts in the dental industry but also by some model train and wargaming hobbyists. RPM Supplies in Dublin have various types, might be worth contacting them
    https://rpmsupplies.com/product-category/moulding-supplies/plaster-sundries/

Advertisement