Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Min wrote: »
    I think this says it all

i stopped reading after the first line

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

delw wrote: »
    i stopped reading after the first line

When I saw the links for free movies I didn't even bother :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It got down to 5.4 C @ Knock Airport Yesterday....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

t|nt|n wrote: »
    When I saw the links for free movies I didn't even bother :rolleyes:
    There's free movies? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Iancar29 wrote: »

It got to 5.8C here and a dew point of 2.5C.

I think Knock is the only met station on high ground >200m asl.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is the type of thing we want to see at this time of year. The cold air digging down into the continent. Ultimately if we do get prolonged Easterly winds that is where the firepower has to come from :)

Rtavn3842.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »

It often drops below 5 in July, any night without frost in october is not exceptionally cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

jimmy.d wrote: »

That's actually quiet interesting to read,I hope he is right tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Min wrote: »
    The Mail says:
    'Spring' lambs are being born four months early due to weather confusion

What a load of horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

johngalway wrote: »
    What a load of horsesh1t.

I am shocked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I put this together to wet peoples appetite for Winter 2011-2012

http://www.kizoa.com/slideshow/d1987441k2480995o1/winter-2009-2010-2011

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i know it's the express and everything they print should be taken with a pinch gritter full of salt, but is it anywhere near possible something like this could be on the cards?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/276202
    BRITAIN is braced for an Arctic blast which will bring record low temperatures within weeks, forecasters said last night.

The prediction of a bitterly cold spell with biting winds came as councils declared they have fully prepared for a big freeze by stockpiling thousands of tons of extra grit.

The mountain of salt could be dug into very soon as forecasters say Britain is likely to be hit by temperatures as low as minus 20C – perhaps even lower – and widespread heavy snow as early as the start of next month.

Parts of the country already saw the first snow of the winter this week, with two inches falling in the Cairngorms in Scotland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

the daily mail also has this story, so i definately would simply ignore this and continue getting updates from more reliable sources. They are still quoting exacta weathers last update from weeks ago. nothing new has surfaced at all. But fingers crossed we get hammered with snow :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046766/UK-winter-weather-warning--20C-weeks-councils-stockpile-extra-grit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

It's supposed to snow here at the end of October :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I am beginning to think that something special is going happen from mid November onwards

I am beginning to think that something special is going happen from mid November onwards

care to share with us mortal folk what that might be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Please do impart your wisedom, do not say that it is a gut feeling :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

And if your username was MT Cranium I'd believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

What's the story with this promised Winter . Down in Cork and its like a summer night . Please till me that there is snow a coming ............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

riggerman wrote: »
    What's the story with this promised Winter . Down in Cork and its like a summer night . Please till me that there is snow a coming ............

It's October. Patience. Especially down Cork way unless you're on a hill somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Fiskar wrote: »
    Please do impart your wisedom, do not say that it is a gut feeling :rolleyes:
    Not its not a gut feeling. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Not its not a gut feeling. :rolleyes:
    then what is it, or are you just going to tease us? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Megatron believes in snow, and snow promising charts. But like the Easter bunny and eskimos not all things turn out to be real. Last few years have been good and could get better (by being worse) Fingers crossed that megatron doesn't get let down this year. Only MT knows for sure I guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

When is M.T bringing out his winter forecast? Net weather are bringing out theirs on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Well all i can say is bring it on!!!
    Got new stove in, all new heaters and got the house pumped with cavity wall insulation, So i'm READY........ oh and i have 14 weeks leave coming at the end of this month.
    I'm playing the waiting game now, and i will be SO disappointed if the snow and freezing temp's don't come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-216.png?12
    that looks pretty damn cold :) how come on that chart there it doesnt show temps just numbers at bottom? dont insult me i dont know much about these charts and stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

bb1234567 wrote: »

Not really actually. If you check the 850hpa temps over ireland for that time there about 0c. On the ground this would translate to daytime temperatures of +8-+10c in mid October. It is also important to remember that the colors on the above chart do not indicate temperature and does not bear any correlation to the temperature on the ground.

And there is no insulting around here. Everybody, including the likes of MTC himself started off one day without a clue about the weather or the charts. We all have to start somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

oh okay thanks for clearing that up, how do i find charts that show temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

bb1234567 wrote: »
    oh okay thanks for clearing that up, how do i find charts that show temps?

On the same page on meteociel find the option for 850hpa temps, that shows the temps for about 1000 to 1200m. As a rule of thumb add around 8 to get the temperature on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

Any sign of the Donegal postman's prediction for this winter? He was right the last two years in that he predicted severe cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement