Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

186 ENS Visa, Possible Without Sponsorship?

• 10-04-2014 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Looking for some guidance folks.

I have been with same employer for 2+ years now. I am here as de facto on my gf's 574 Visa (PhD research), which doesn't expire for another 15 months or so.

In anticipation of sticking around I have asked my GM about visa options post 2015. She/HR have offered to sponsor and cover all costs etc but I would prefer moving to residency now, having been here 3.5 of last 5 years. They are happy to support me in any application but HR's lack of knowledge on visas is pretty amazing for such a large organisation.

My question is, can I apply for 186 ENS stream even though company hasn't sponsored me for last 2 years?

The immi website isn't clear on this and although it mentions 457 a number of times I couldn't find an explicit rule about having to hold a 457 first. Anyone on here gone this route without holding a 457?

I know there are other visa routes to PR but just hoping to find one that company will support and cover costs for, which I hoped 186 would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can apply through the Direct pathway as you are not a Primary 457 visa holder, you need a skills assessment and meet the 3 years experience criteria . Other than that it's the same as the Temp transition stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

First task is establish your occupation is on the CSOL.

In addition to what Mandrake said, your employer will need to meet same training benchmarks as for 457 sponsorship.

Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

457 holders with their employer 2+ years get an exemption from skills assessment under transition stream.
    But other than that the 186 is not related to the 457. Immi site is pretty clear on that, doesn't mention a rule because there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Has to be Primary 457 holder, working as a secondary 457 applicant is of no use for Transition stream.

Advertisement