Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL

any news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

emo72 wrote: »
    PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL

any news?

It will be live before midnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cyril706

Going live this evening. To use open data you will need to drop the proxy and port from your internet settings i.e. just use the APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

I will have the settings tool on the website updated later

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Note, via the tool the profile for IAP - Internet Settings will be open but the WAP Profile will still use the proxy. IAP profile is normally only available to smartphones via the settings tool.

For iPhone customers remove the configuration profile that you setup to enable the proxy and just use the APN as above in the Internet Settings section.

For Android users again just remove the proxy and port and leave the APN in place.

Note MMS settings do not change and still use the proxy as before.

All data used outside the proxy will be charged for including pages that are now free when using the proxy like the Tesco Mobile WAP page.

Hi Paul,
    Could u please post a wap and mms setting for Symbian V5, cause I'm having a problem on using the setting tool. thanks a million

Data restrictions are now removed.

:D;)
    great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I just sent the first email ever from my phone and can confirm that it works now. Thanks a lot!

well, what wonderful magical stuff can we do now? apps'n'stuff?

woooah. emails just came thru on 3g! now i see the light!

Data restrictions are now removed.

I've tried it, it's great Paul. Thanks for you guys

Does anyone have a problem on buying the 1GB Data Bundle. My text does can be sent, I guess it's because the network is too busy right now?

Paul, its after 11:00. They done good work. Let them go home Paul....let them go home.

• Advertisement

Should be fine to purchase Cyril - text data to 174211. Bundles can only be purchased from your main balance not from bonus credit.

emo72 wrote: »
    Paul, its after 11:00. They done good work. Let them go home Paul....let them go home.

They have been let off to the pub for a beer shandy.

Updated iPhone Instructions for Tesco Mobile

--

1. If you have an iPhone 4 get a Tesco Mobile Micro SIM. Call Customer Care on 1749 or 0894200000 and they can get one sent out to you. You will need to call them back when you get it to get your number transferred to the SIM.

2. Put the Tesco Mobile SIM in unlocked iPhone and perform normal setup via iTunes

3. Go to Settings->General->Network and Turn Data Roaming On

4. Also in Settings->General->Network go to Mobile Data Network
    Put APN and MMS proxy details in as below

a) Enter the following details into Mobile Data at the top of the section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Username: leave empty
    Password: leave empty

b) Enter following details into the MMS section.

MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19:8080
    Max Message Size: 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL : leave empty

Updated Android instructions for Tesco mobile

--

1. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks and turn on Data Roaming

2. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names and delete all existing APN’s.

3. Create a new Internet APN with settings

Name: TMI Internet APN
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl

(sometimes for APN Type setting you are only allowed choose from a list. If so choose Internet or default)

4. Create a new MMS APN with settings

Name: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: mms

5. Reboot your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Well, it was too good to be true. Just popped a Tesco SIM into my Nexus S this morning. On 3G it takes ages to open a page, for example opening the mobile version of Wikipedia took 20 seconds, it didn't even start loading for the first 18 seconds. It often times out and doesn't open the page at all. It almost seems like one (or both?) of the DNS servers are timing out. I managed to run a speed test and I got a appalling 230 Kbps (that's kilobits, not kilobytes), which is EDGE speed (yes, I was on 3G, HSDPA even). The upload speed was actually higher then the download speed, 280 Kbps. Turning off 3G switches back to EDGE and things seem to be much more stable there.

Location: Dublin Docklands, full bars of 3G signal, I can literally see the mast on top of O2 HQ from my window.

blaz wrote: »
    Well, it was too good to be true. Just popped a Tesco SIM into my Nexus S this morning. On 3G it takes ages to open a page, for example opening the mobile version of Wikipedia took 20 seconds, it didn't even start loading for the first 18 seconds. It often times out and doesn't open the page at all. It almost seems like one (or both?) of the DNS servers are timing out. I managed to run a speed test and I got a appalling 230 Kbps (that's kilobits, not kilobytes), which is EDGE speed (yes, I was on 3G, HSDPA even). The upload speed was actually higher then the download speed, 280 Kbps. Turning off 3G switches back to EDGE and things seem to be much more stable there.

Location: Dublin Docklands, full bars of 3G signal, I can literally see the mast on top of O2 HQ from my window.

Hi Blaz,

I will do a check to see if there is anything going on. Note we dont have HSDPA even if the phone indicates it, 3G is the max speed.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

My iPhone 4 now seems to be working fine including those applications I was having problems with such as 'Tunein Radio'

Now my only remaining problem is off a totally different nature and I'm just wondering if there is an explanation anywhere within the Tesco Mobile sites as to what charges come off a customers's main balance and what charges come off my free credit.

I know that if I buy a data bundle it comes off the main balance but I simply cannot understand what dictates when the main balance or the free balance gets adjusted.
    There is no explanation in the site that gives you this information

Currently my balances are as follows:

Mobile Number Balance
    3538xxxxxxxx EUR 11.52

Bundles
    Description Balance Expiry Date
    Data Bundle - active if balance > 0.00 EUR 9878.06 March 05, 2011
    Free Credit EUR 41.33 March 22, 2011
    In Touch Bundle - active if balance > 0.00 EUR 3.00 March 05, 2011
    Talk&Text SMS - 0.01 per text remaining EUR 0.00 --
    Talk&Text Voice - 0.01 per minute remaining EUR 0.00 --
    Text Bundle - 0.01 per text remaining EUR 0.00

Is there anywhere that one can get an explanation of what all this really means?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Hi Blaz,

I will do a check to see if there is anything going on. Note we dont have HSDPA even if the phone indicates it, 3G is the max speed.

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul. Good to know about HSDPA vs. 3G, but I would at least expect UMTS/3G speeds (around 300 Kbps). And the issue I'm experiencing doesn't seem to be related to download speeds at all, it seems like a timeout or disconnection issue that only exists on 3G, not EDGE.

blaz wrote: »
    Thanks Paul. Good to know about HSDPA vs. 3G, but I would at least expect UMTS/3G speeds (around 300 Kbps). And the issue I'm experiencing doesn't seem to be related to download speeds at all, it seems like a timeout or disconnection issue that only exists on 3G, not EDGE.

Thanks, I will get the tech guys to do some investigations.

logonmar wrote: »
    My iPhone 4 now seems to be working fine including those applications I was having problems with such as 'Tunein Radio'

Now my only remaining problem is off a totally different nature and I'm just wondering if there is an explanation anywhere within the Tesco Mobile sites as to what charges come off a customers's main balance and what charges come off my free credit.

I know that if I buy a data bundle it comes off the main balance but I simply cannot understand what dictates when the main balance or the free balance gets adjusted.
    There is no explanation in the site that gives you this information

Currently my balances are as follows:

Mobile Number Balance
    3538xxxxxxxx EUR 11.52

Bundles
    Description Balance Expiry Date
    Data Bundle - active if balance > 0.00 EUR 9878.06 March 05, 2011
    Free Credit EUR 41.33 March 22, 2011
    In Touch Bundle - active if balance > 0.00 EUR 3.00 March 05, 2011
    Talk&Text SMS - 0.01 per text remaining EUR 0.00 --
    Talk&Text Voice - 0.01 per minute remaining EUR 0.00 --
    Text Bundle - 0.01 per text remaining EUR 0.00

Is there anywhere that one can get an explanation of what all this really means?!!!

Hi logonmar

I agree that screen isnt the best and we do have a My Tesco Mobile update planned.

On Data Bundle
    ---
    The Data Bundle expiry date is on the right. The monetary value is a represetnation of your data allowance based on a nominal value of €0.01 per KB (not pretty I know - we will change this to be plain old MB instead of a value when we update)

Free Credit
    ---
    The balance and last expiry date for bonus credit

In Touch Bundle
    ---
    This is your Free Tesco Mobile to Tesco Mobile calls, texts and picture messages expiry date. The value is irrelevant here. This section will be updated also.

In terms of what balance does the charging come its as follows:
    - Premium calls/texts, bundles, roaming and international calls can only come from your main balance.
    - Irish landlines, mobiles, texts, picture messages and data outside bundle come from bonus credit first until it expires and then goes to your main balance
    - if you have a data bundle data will come from this and not be charged to either balance

Hope this helps
    regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

Paul

There are still issues with data over 3G,time outs etc.Working fine with edge though.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clarkeed

Hi Paul,
    first of all well done to all for finally getting rid of restrictions. I have found my connection a bit hit and miss today i work in Dublin city center and at about lunch time i could not connect, then after about 10 mins it connected and connection was very good and fast, now at home in Dublin 5 works and then i disconnected and reconnected about 30 mins later and i could not connect for about 5 mins now its connected again and working well. I have a Htc desire and connection shows a H at home and swaps between H and E at work.

Ok guys thanks for the feedback. I am working on this with the tech guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adr

clarkeed wrote: »
    Hi Paul,
    first of all well done to all for finally getting rid of restrictions. I have found my connection a bit hit and miss today i work in Dublin city center and at about lunch time i could not connect, then after about 10 mins it connected and connection was very good and fast, now at home in Dublin 5 works and then i disconnected and reconnected about 30 mins later and i could not connect for about 5 mins now its connected again and working well. I have a Htc desire and connection shows a H at home and swaps between H and E at work.

I agree with clarkeed. Well done guys for removing the restrictions but there is still room for improvement. I use SE Xperia X8 and I have changed the settings as advised by Paul but my connection is still a bit erratic. At times it works like a charm but sometimes I can't connect at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

Any webtexts yet? Im staying where I am until I see webtexts. Then I think i'll go with tescomobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Hi logonmar

Try this

*004*[Your voice mailbox like +353875xxxxxxx]#

This sets all conditional diverts to go to your voicemail

If you want to just set if busy, no answer, unreachable on their own its as below

If busy
    *67*[dest]*11#

If no answer
    *61*[dest]*11*[sec]#

If unreachable
    *62*[dest]*11#

hope this helps

regards
    Paul
    Thank you Paul! - that works perfectly! (I have a jailbroken iPhone 2)

I have to say that the wap speed really disappointed me. I can open my ovi store, but just have to wait for ages to download any stuff there.

I think I'll have to go back to what I had before. what a pity!!!

Cyril706 wrote: »
    I have to say that the wap speed really disappointed me. I can open my ovi store, but just have to wait for ages to download any stuff there.

I think I'll have to go back to what I had before. what a pity!!!

Hi Cyril,

Can you bear with us for a day or so. There is something we are looking at at may improve what you are seeing.

regards
    Paul

Hi Mike

Dont have the exact time yet. Could be very late so assume it will be live by morning.

regards
    Paul

Thanks for you attention, Paul. You are very responsible!

I still have more than 20 credit in my balance (I topped up 20 yesterday and bought 1GB data bundle) I think I'll have to see after this month:)

Hope it will get better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Silverblack

I get this message all the time " 408 Request Time Out ".
    I have to cancel the page and hit the link at least twice more before it does anything.It's definitely a Tesco/O2 problem as a tmobile sim works fine.

Advertisement